• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2020 8:56 am
[OP]
Oct 9, 2019
11 posts
299 upvotes
Kitchener, ON

[Amazon.ca] TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier, 4L Capacity, Auto Shut-Off $49.99

I got one before, a really good humidifier for the price.

Summary of Features
  • 4L tank capacity (Lasts for 12-30 hour working time on a full tank)
  • Can keep a desired humidity level in the room
  • For rooms up to 10-30 m/ 107-322 ft
  • Quiet operation produces less than 38 dB of noise
  • Automatically shuts off when water runs out
krazykanuck wrote: 10$ for the version w/Alexa integration also:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07Y398875?th=1
Images
  • 51hMCxSqb7L._SL1000_.jpg
Last edited by Dealbyte on Feb 18th, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
28 replies
Nov 23, 2004
402 posts
568 upvotes
Ontario
Solid unit - before we went to a whole home humidifier we had a number of these around the house. Ended up that the cost of installing a whole home saved us a lot of time and maintenance always refilling these guys, cleaning regularly, etc.

To comment on some of the uninformed reviews on Amazon:
- "white dust" has to do with your water source, not the unit. Distilled Water is best to use, but we found almost no "white dust" using Brita filtered water as well.
- Cleaning is easy - lift the top off, dump the water in the tray, give it a quick spray with some vinnegar water and a wipe with a paper towel and you're done. No idea what everyone is smoking who says they're "difficult" to clean - far from it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
7080 posts
627 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mindabsence wrote: Solid unit - before we went to a whole home humidifier we had a number of these around the house. Ended up that the cost of installing a whole home saved us a lot of time and maintenance always refilling these guys, cleaning regularly, etc.

- "white dust" has to do with your water source, not the unit. Distilled Water is best to use, but we found almost no "white dust" using Brita filtered water as well.
- Cleaning is easy - lift the top off, dump the water in the tray, give it a quick spray with some vinnegar water and a wipe with a paper towel and you're done. No idea what everyone is smoking who says they're "difficult" to clean - far from it.
Any filter changes for this unit? One of the cons from the last humidifier we bought was having to buy new filters and change it frequently.
Nov 23, 2004
402 posts
568 upvotes
Ontario
jeffyjaixx wrote: Any filter changes for this unit? One of the cons from the last humidifier we bought was having to buy new filters and change it frequently.
It has a filter that contains some sort of plastic beads (maybe not actually plastic I don't know - couldn't find an easy way to open it). After years of using the one unit, all we did was give it a rinse under a hot water tap running at full power with every cleaning of the unit each week. No idea if I'd have seen any benefits in replacing or not. I certainly never found any cons to this approach!
Jul 23, 2018
244 posts
89 upvotes
mindabsence wrote: Solid unit - before we went to a whole home humidifier we had a number of these around the house. Ended up that the cost of installing a whole home saved us a lot of time and maintenance always refilling these guys, cleaning regularly, etc.

How did you clean the main water reservoir? And the lid with the little balls in it?
Nov 23, 2004
402 posts
568 upvotes
Ontario
OongaLoonga wrote: How did you clean the main water reservoir? And the lid with the little balls in it?
Rinsed the filter under a heavy stream of hot tap water while shaking it around a bit to ensure all the little filtering balls were well rinsed.
Didn't find a need to do the reservoir that frequently, like once a month I'd swish a little vinegar water in it and it always seemed clean from what I could tell.
Apr 23, 2016
384 posts
416 upvotes
Kelowna
Just bought a humidifier 2 days ago to help with a stuffy newborn. This doesn't really seem like an exceptional price. In line with what I saw at Walmart. I bought a similar Sunbeam, same capacity but filterless and top-fill, for $53.

It doesn't support essential oils but neither does this one.
Mar 21, 2013
206 posts
75 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Not a bad little unit, but if you do forget to rinse it or empty it for more than a few days, be prepared to have a great time trying to clean it out. The tiny hole, plus the tube running through the tank, makes it all but impossible to clean properly.
if that's a concern for you, I don't really recommend it. Otherwise, the digital humidistat/hygrometer is a nice feature (no idea how accurate it is though).

If you do get it and turn on night mode, it auto changesyour strength to low, so you have to change it back to whatever else you may have had it on.

I would say get a top fill if you can.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1362 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
i had one of these and upgraded to one with a bigger tank. To be honest. next year ill just spend the $$ on a furnace based one.
The cleaning and refilling it daily gets OLD quick.
Aug 26, 2008
108 posts
36 upvotes
Oakville
speeeeee wrote: i had one of these and upgraded to one with a bigger tank. To be honest. next year ill just spend the $$ on a furnace based one.
Yep. All mist type humidifiers are a pain in the ass to clean, specially if you live in an area with hard water. From what I've heard evaporative humidifiers are easier to clean, so I got myself this one the other day.
Feb 18, 2010
863 posts
335 upvotes
Greely
Chaindrop wrote: Yep. All mist type humidifiers are a pain in the ass to clean, specially if you live in an area with hard water. From what I've heard evaporative humidifiers are easier to clean, so I got myself this one the other day.
I have a large evaporative Honeywell and hard (well) water and it's still a PITA. I soak the filter/pad in vinegar water or CLR to get the filter clean. I've bought 3 packs of no name pads, but they don't hold up as well as the Honeywell pads. Having said that, I prefer the big Honeywell to using the flow-through on my furnace.

OTOH, my friend has the little Taotronics and it works great, but the City of Ottawa has excellent soft water. The light rail is a different story lolz
Nov 23, 2004
402 posts
568 upvotes
Ontario
speeeeee wrote: i had one of these and upgraded to one with a bigger tank. To be honest. next year ill just spend the $$ on a furnace based one.
Best money I've spent in years was putting on a furnace humidifier this year! When I added up the money I'd spent on all the portable units around the house, as well as the time spent filling and lugging water jugs to them all each day or two, weekly cleaning, etc. I wished I'd have done this YEARS ago. Just got the first set of bills after having it installed and there was no increase in water or electricity usage to run it. The model I bought has a bunch of great water saving features on it too which likely helps.