Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

TEAMGROUP MP34 1TB with DRAM SLC Cache 3D NAND TLC SSD - $79.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2023 9:37 am
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2009
1042 posts
848 upvotes
Calgary

[Amazon.ca] TEAMGROUP MP34 1TB with DRAM SLC Cache 3D NAND TLC SSD - $79.99

It's a little more expensive than dramless drives, but maybe worth it if you want something with a little better spec. Not sure about the brand, it's my first time buying their product, hopefully decent.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PHQ ... =UTF8&th=1

Edit: Looks like already OOS, that was quick, but I think the stock most likely will come back randomly, just like many other Amazon merchandises.
Last edited by zywan0124 on Jan 10th, 2023 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
I am confused. Does it have DRAM or SLC cache? AFAIK, they are different in principle.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: I am confused. Does it have DRAM or SLC cache? AFAIK, they are different in principle.
The SSD can both have DRAM and SLC Cache

The DRAM package on the SDD is caching the device’s file translation layer, does not need to be big.

SLC Cache is not a separate external chip. SLC Cache is stored in TLC/QLC NAND Flash.

What Are QLC, DRAM Cache and SLC Cache? (Part 2)
https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/blogs/ssd-cache

"As for SLC Cache, it is not a separate external chip. Since it’s called Cache, it means that it is not really an SLC NAND Flash, but a part of the space in the TLC or QLC’s NAND Flash IC to simulate the SLC writing method (only 1 bit of data can be written in each Cell), which can effectively improve the read/write performance of the SSD."
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
Dhanushan wrote: The SSD can both have DRAM and SLC Cache

The DRAM package on the SDD is caching the device’s file translation layer, does not need to be big.

SLC Cache is not a separate external chip. SLC Cache is stored in TLC/QLC NAND Flash.

What Are QLC, DRAM Cache and SLC Cache? (Part 2)
https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/blogs/ssd-cache

"As for SLC Cache, it is not a separate external chip. Since it’s called Cache, it means that it is not really an SLC NAND Flash, but a part of the space in the TLC or QLC’s NAND Flash IC to simulate the SLC writing method (only 1 bit of data can be written in each Cell), which can effectively improve the read/write performance of the SSD."
Yes, I know how SLC cache works but I didn't think manufacturers use it with DRAM. SLC cache is usually used on DRAM-less SSDs. And with DRAM there is little need for SLC cache or so I thought.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: Yes, I know how SLC cache works but I didn't think manufacturers use it with DRAM. SLC cache is usually used on DRAM-less SSDs. And with DRAM there is little need for SLC cache or so I thought.
All the brands use SLC cache of varying sizes, since writing directly to flash is a lot slower.

Samsung calls their version TurboWrite. The "intelligent" version has a fixed/static SLC cache size and variable SLC cache size.
Destiny is all
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
jasonrain wrote: 69.99 @ newegg 2 days ago
According to PCPartPicker Price History, the MP33 was $69.99 at Newegg 2 days ago.
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
Man, every few days SSD's go on sale now.. Maybe if video cards could also drop again :(
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2002
6065 posts
2506 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Yes, I know how SLC cache works but I didn't think manufacturers use it with DRAM. SLC cache is usually used on DRAM-less SSDs. And with DRAM there is little need for SLC cache or so I thought.
Even the best TLC drives have both as TLC by itself is much slower than even 2-bit MLC in writes. SLC caches are usually setup quite large compared the amount of DRAM, tens of GB in size so that large files can be written or rewritten without dropping to a lower performance level.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
SLee wrote: Even the best TLC drives have both as TLC by itself is much slower than even 2-bit MLC in writes. SLC caches are usually setup quite large compared the amount of DRAM, tens of GB in size so that large files can be written or rewritten without dropping to a lower performance level.
So, that means that all DRAM-cache SSDs have SLC cache and only Teamgroup brags about it. That confused me.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5143 upvotes
I have the 2TB version of this drive and is great, excellent performance and runs cool
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
3274 posts
2144 upvotes
Montréal, QC
I have the MP33 as a cache drive on an Unraid Server since BF, no issues so far.
Wondering if the MP34 with DRAM will make a noticeable performance difference for running VMs and Dockers.