Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

TEKTON Long Arm Hex Key Wrench Set, (Inch or Metric), 13-Piece, $8.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2022 12:55 pm
Jun 15, 2019
357 posts
709 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] TEKTON Long Arm Hex Key Wrench Set, (Inch or Metric), 13-Piece, $8.99

Been waiting for these to jump down in price and here we are. Both the metric and re****ed unit versions are for sale at the reduced price. Some time in the future will inform y'all.

Why this set even when you have the el cheapo already? Cause a piece of the el cheapo broke and I looked in to what's a reputable brand. YT persona Project Farm tested a bunch and Tekton was a good price to performance choice.

Personally had the metric already and at one point was very surprised when fighting a blue lock-tight bolt - the tool bend like crazy without snapping, more than I was comfortable with. Grabbed the angle part with pliers to twist, cause I was afraid of it snapping... both - the tool and the bolt - survived to screw another day.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1676 posts
2341 upvotes
Waterloo Region
Thanks OP.

PSA: If you're reading this and not sure whether to buy or not, then buy them. Forget the dollar store crap. Those things will wreck your nuts Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2006
1427 posts
1127 upvotes
Alberta
Bummer the metric one has gone up in price.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1201 posts
766 upvotes
Canada
Amazon Basic has 36 piece for $14.78

simple is the best...
May 25, 2009
417 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Decent price but should note it's not ball end.

I think I've used almost every single brand at work and for what it's worth, your average home user won't notice much difference between cheap(ish) hex keys and high end ones.

Only hex key that doesn't bend and rebound too much is the Wera when breaking free fasteners but the defining feature is the hex plus. It's definitely not a gimmick since stripped but not completely rounded fasteners can be extracted as a last resort before you pound in a torx. The only problem is the plastic sleeve where it takes up too much space so you can either carry a 'normal' set or get this https://www.ihlcanada.com/wera-05073596 ... hex%2bwera It's got hex plus, no sleeve and cheaper too. The 1.5mm on the wera is no good though and strips fasteners if you're breaking them free, the hex plus doesn't have enough engagement and just rounds it out.

Wiha, Tekton and Bondhus (painted bondhus are slightly oversized and has problems in cheap undersized fasteners since they paint the ends but paint wears off quickly) are good but nothing special.

Pb swiss isn't worth the price premium. Coloured PB swiss paint chips just like all other painted hex keys and flexes a LOT compared to other hex keys. While the spring steel doesn't wear, it bends quite a bit and when breaking free stuck fasteners, it rebounds a lot which is painful. Comparing newer PB to older stock, the chrome finish isn't as good post-covid imo

Even the amazonbasics 2 pack is pretty good and has the oddball sizes too but its greasy and kinda softer metal which you only notice after heavy use. It has decent fit but you never know if you get a properly sized hex key from the factory. If you need one for light duty I'd probably recommend this one with a big asterisk.

There are 2 amazonbasics packs of hex keys, one is a combined long and short with no ball end and is missing some sizes which I wouldn't recommend. The folding package is the one you should get
Jun 15, 2019
357 posts
709 upvotes
CroSsFiRe2009 wrote: Decent price but should note it's not ball end.

I think I've used almost every single brand at work and for what it's worth, your average home user won't notice much difference between cheap(ish) hex keys and high end ones.

Only hex key that doesn't bend and rebound too much is the Wera when breaking free fasteners but the defining feature is the hex plus. It's definitely not a gimmick since stripped but not completely rounded fasteners can be extracted as a last resort before you pound in a torx. The only problem is the plastic sleeve where it takes up too much space so you can either carry a 'normal' set or get this https://www.ihlcanada.com/wera-05073596 ... hex%2bwera It's got hex plus, no sleeve and cheaper too. The 1.5mm on the wera is no good though and strips fasteners if you're breaking them free, the hex plus doesn't have enough engagement and just rounds it out.

Wiha, Tekton and Bondhus (painted bondhus are slightly oversized and has problems in cheap undersized fasteners since they paint the ends but paint wears off quickly) are good but nothing special.

Pb swiss isn't worth the price premium. Coloured PB swiss paint chips just like all other painted hex keys and flexes a LOT compared to other hex keys. While the spring steel doesn't wear, it bends quite a bit and when breaking free stuck fasteners, it rebounds a lot which is painful. Comparing newer PB to older stock, the chrome finish isn't as good post-covid imo

Even the amazonbasics 2 pack is pretty good and has the oddball sizes too but its greasy and kinda softer metal which you only notice after heavy use. It has decent fit but you never know if you get a properly sized hex key from the factory. If you need one for light duty I'd probably recommend this one with a big asterisk.

There are 2 amazonbasics packs of hex keys, one is a combined long and short with no ball end and is missing some sizes which I wouldn't recommend. The folding package is the one you should get
Dayum, sounds like you've broken a lot of allen keys.
Feb 1, 2004
944 posts
191 upvotes
Markham
CroSsFiRe2009 wrote: Decent price but should note it's not ball end.

Are you referring to these Amazonbasics one?

https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-Hex- ... B0776C2D6H

Based on the OP's video, the Craftman set is quite good overall. I'm deciding between this and the Amazonbasics, although the Craftman has only 20 keys vs the Amazonbasics with 26 keys and also double the cost.

https://www.amazon.ca/CRAFTSMAN-CMHT260 ... B08GHHF1YD

Which would you recommend to be used on bicycle and e-scooter maintenance?
May 25, 2009
417 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
rokask wrote: Dayum, sounds like you've broken a lot of allen keys.
Not really, only when I put a cheater bar on the short end and the ball snaps off which is my fault and not the tool.

I often refer to the amazon basics ones as made out of cheese but I've completely misused them as a punch (especially the smallest 0.05) and hammered on them without breaking a single one (please don't hit hardened steel against each other, it's dangerous)
bb_00 wrote: Are you referring to these Amazonbasics one?

https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-Hex- ... B0776C2D6H

Based on the OP's video, the Craftman set is quite good overall. I'm deciding between this and the Amazonbasics, although the Craftman has only 20 keys vs the Amazonbasics with 26 keys and also double the cost.

https://www.amazon.ca/CRAFTSMAN-CMHT260 ... B08GHHF1YD

Which would you recommend to be used on bicycle and e-scooter maintenance?
Yes, that's the amazon one I would recommend if you just need it for light duty but with a big ymmv. Craftsman is probably a better bet for you since if you strip a fastener on a bike you might be screwed or have a rusty fastener.

The number of hex keys doesn't matter at all since they're oddball sizes which you are very unlikely to encounter
Dec 28, 2018
332 posts
427 upvotes
l4c2k1
I wish Princess Auto still had the color coded Power Fist sets, they have been my favorite for years but unfortunately I haven't seen them for some time now.
Jan 4, 2009
442 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
I sat on the fence for too long... It's back to $15-ish now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)