Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

TerraMaster D5-300 USB3.1 (Gen1) Type C 5-Bay External Hard Drive (RAID) Enclosure $135.99 after coupon (no tax)

[OP]
May 10, 2010
785 posts
1151 upvotes
Kenora

[Amazon.ca] TerraMaster D5-300 USB3.1 (Gen1) Type C 5-Bay External Hard Drive (RAID) Enclosure $135.99 after coupon (no tax)

I just came across this 5-bay enclosure while looking for something to put all my extra HDD's in for some cheap storage.

This TerraMaster unit supports multiple RAID modes which is good and exactly what I was looking for. Regular price is $339.99 with a current sale of $102 off. Plus there's a coupon for an additional $102 off which brings to price down to $135.99, and there's no tax.

This is a Non-Network storage device.

In addition to this, I have a separate TerraMaster NAS (TNAS-F5-221) and it works well. It's not as feature rich as say the Synology or Qnap NAS but it does the jobs I want and I'm happy with the quality, so I'm not worried about the quality of this 5 bay enclosure. I mention this NAS as a testament to the quality of TerraMaster devices. THE LINKED PRODUCT IS NOT A NAS

I thought this might be handy for people who swapped drives out of their NAS's when they got the sweet $200 10TB Seagate deal.
Images
  • tnas.JPG
Last edited by poopdedoop on Nov 29th, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
78 replies
Feb 2, 2015
763 posts
330 upvotes
Bought and thanked, 120 bucks for a 5 disk RAID-enabled enclosure is hot IMO...going to connect to my 4 disk Syno to double the storage.
[OP]
May 10, 2010
785 posts
1151 upvotes
Kenora
Nikhilvoid wrote: Wow, isn't this a great deal?

Should I get the NAS for $150 instead?

https://www.amazon.ca/TerraMaster-F4-21 ... 07ZV7K7GX/
That's a pretty good deal for the NAS. That's the ARM CPU and it doesn't look like you can upgrade the RAM on that based by the description. So it might not be the best for hardware conversion on a Plex or Emby server, but it will work nonetheless. If you're looking to make a cheap NAS for a home server/backup, that's a great entry price.
Feb 2, 2015
763 posts
330 upvotes

Pretty barebone software from the review, and this is a 4 disk NAS vs the 5 disk enclosure OP posted...

I guess different purpose...most of the routers have USB port these days, so if I am just looking for a basic NAS simply as a network folder I'd just get the USB version and plug into my home router

/my 2 cents

Edit: Just found out their 5 Bay NAS is also decently priced at 200 bucks...https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NRHNG1Q/, and it seems to support Plex, so if you are looking for a out of box Plex solution this may be the best way to go :)
Last edited by spammy on Nov 29th, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 24, 2017
99 posts
134 upvotes
spammy wrote: Pretty barebone software from the review, and this is a 4 disk NAS vs the 5 disk enclosure OP posted...
there is also TerraMaster F4-210 4-Bay NAS 2GB RAM on sale for 210 all in

note that unlike synology & qnap, terramaster on amazon has no tax ;-)
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4744 posts
870 upvotes
Georgetown
Jeeze... I have been watching 4 and 5 bay Synology NAS devices for sales... but this is making me rethink. As long as I don’t move my Plex server to the NAS, perhaps this does the trick? (RAID 5). Can anyone list anything else that makes the Synology NAS devices worth... $500-900 more?

I’m guessing I just want the Raid 5 and maybe automating some backups off of desktop/laptop computers in the house (OS and files)... maybe finding a way to backups Apple devices photos to the NAS directly? I know high end NAS can run a ton of apps... but other than Plex, nzbget, sonarr, etc.. I’m not sure what else I would use.... and those could stay on a desktop computer... hmmm...
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5050 posts
7282 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
spammy wrote: Pretty barebone software from the review, and this is a 4 disk NAS vs the 5 disk enclosure OP posted...

I guess different purpose...most of the routers have USB port these days, so if I am just looking for a basic NAS simply as a network folder I'd just get the USB version and plug into my home router

/my 2 cents
Hmm, so if I plug my 5-bay enclosure into the Telus router (not sure if USB 3), it will all be accessible? Is there some kind of Raspberry Pi equivalent that can do some Plex transcoding? I might get that and the 5-bay instead of the NAS
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2014
1248 posts
451 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nikhilvoid wrote: Hmm, so if I plug my 5-bay enclosure into the Telus router (not sure if USB 3), it will all be accessible? Is there some kind of Raspberry Pi equivalent that can do some Plex transcoding? I might get that and the 5-bay instead of the NAS
If you got a Nvidia Shield, that can run Plex server without issue.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1795 posts
989 upvotes
This D5 300 will only do RAID 0, 5

D5-300
Specs
Last edited by coffeebean on Nov 29th, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D

Loser Quote:
Nubby666 wrote: Soy made my buddy cut off his dangus and start wearing spandex running one piece suits, you heard it here first, folks!!! Stay away!!!
Mar 30, 2007
392 posts
494 upvotes

Sorry I know this is not a computer forum here, but what I wanted to do is to plug it into the router, then set a timer (or geofence) , when I am not home, the drive bays will turn on and give me online file retrival on my computer and phone.
Basically a personal cloud.
Which one is the one i should go for? I am not worry about RAID 5. I may back up the most important item on a cold drive away from the NAS.

I will buy it and learn how to do it. I just need to know which item works for what I wanted to do.

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by swordman2000 on Nov 29th, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 17, 2016
46 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
dennyhj wrote: Why is that? The description includes support for raid 1 and 10.
Are we reading the same thing?

Support only RAID0 and RAID5 (JBOD,SingleDisk,RAID1 and RAID10 are not suppoted)
Aug 27, 2008
161 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
Stack another 10% off with the UGO deal :)
Aug 30, 2016
312 posts
354 upvotes
Zephyrix wrote: Are we reading the same thing?

Support only RAID0 and RAID5 (JBOD,SingleDisk,RAID1 and RAID10 are not suppoted)
https://www.amazon.ca/TerraMaster-Exter ... 54&sr=1-21

"Supports multiple RAID modes: RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, CLONE, JBOD, and Single Disk. RAID 5 is recommended as the best option for D5-300, which balances between data security and storage capacity. (For stable performance, the WD Reds and the Seagate IronWolfs are recommended.)"

I saw now: the technical detail says: 5-bay USB3.0, supports RAID 5 only.

Hmm, I may have to cancel it. Also it has to be connected to a computer via USB 3.1, not ideal. Question: any router provides USB 3.1 port?
Last edited by dennyhj on Nov 29th, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
13882 posts
17277 upvotes
Toronto
coffeebean wrote: This D5 300 will only do RAID 0, 5

Your text to link here...
dennyhj wrote: Why is that? The description includes support for raid 1 and 10.
Zephyrix wrote: Are we reading the same thing?

This review says "TerraMaster markets the D5-300 as a RAID0/5/LARGE enclosure but as you can see it also supports Clone and RAID 3/10 modes."

https://www.nikktech.com/main/articles/ ... ew?start=4
Destiny is all
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2003
10631 posts
3064 upvotes
Richmond Hill
i feel this is price error? discount and coupon is same amount, double dip not supposed to happen? same happened previous prime day
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4340 posts
3473 upvotes
Ontario
The 4 Bay NAS there is quite slow speeds. I'm guessing the CPU is to week to actually use the Full Speeds? I have not paid attention to that for years as I normally build my own servers but I can get 150-170MB/s and that is saying 114MB/s. With the right Raid you could go even higher.
---

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)