Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] TESSAN Power Cube Side Wall Plug Splitter for Home Kitchen $11.49

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2019 10:25 pm
[OP]
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
1 posts
7 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] TESSAN Power Cube Side Wall Plug Splitter for Home Kitchen $11.49

Seems a great price now. 50% OFF $11.49 after code:
Images
  • 51qlBYd5wBL._SL1358_.jpg
Last edited by Mars2012 on Sep 12th, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed code
12 replies
Sr. Member
Jun 16, 2007
777 posts
209 upvotes
Thanks! Ordered two and the code worked for both in the same order.
Member
Sep 1, 2008
264 posts
149 upvotes
Seems overpriced even after the coupon, unless you really need those USB sockets.

Why not buy this 3-pack ($12.74) below? Especially if you have your own USB charger. Otherwise combine with a cheap generic USB adapter.
https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-Fosmon-3- ... 073X1K1R6/

Besides, it's always recommended to use the phone's branded power adapter.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3578 posts
3087 upvotes
Badder wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 1:43 pm
Besides, it's always recommended to use the phone's branded power adapter.
No it's not. There's ZERO reason to avoid brand name USB chargers.

I wouldn't consider THIS one 'brand name', but still, there's nothing special about the OEM chargers (unless you have one of those proprietary fast charging phones that don't do QC or PD, that DO need the OEM charge to get full speed).
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2008
651 posts
261 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 2:14 pm
No it's not. There's ZERO reason to avoid brand name USB chargers.

I wouldn't consider THIS one 'brand name', but still, there's nothing special about the OEM chargers (unless you have one of those proprietary fast charging phones that don't do QC or PD, that DO need the OEM charge to get full speed).
Technically it is recommended to use the charger that came with your phone. I disagree with that notion because the phone's manufacturer is the party that makes that recommendation, but it's a recommendation regardless.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 13, 2008
2437 posts
1837 upvotes
Oakville
repatch wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 2:14 pm
No it's not. There's ZERO reason to avoid brand name USB chargers.

I wouldn't consider THIS one 'brand name', but still, there's nothing special about the OEM chargers (unless you have one of those proprietary fast charging phones that don't do QC or PD, that DO need the OEM charge to get full speed).
I would use OEM charger or a reputable brand name like Anker or Auckey. They put safety circuits, load handling circuits, and heat warning sensors for over load into their chargers to control and monitor charging draw.

You can buy a cheap piece of shit one without all that and still charge if you want, but not sure saving $5 is worth burning down your house.

Pay for quality, reliability, and safety whenever possible.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Member
Nov 16, 2015
319 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Badder wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 1:43 pm
Besides, it's always recommended to use the phone's branded power adapter.
you mean the 5w ones that are bundled with some phones for YEARS...... :P
Member
Sep 1, 2008
264 posts
149 upvotes
Andyc416 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 4:22 pm
you mean the 5w ones that are bundled with some phones for YEARS...... :P
Yep. Don't get me wrong, I agree that it is silly, but regardless it is the manufacturer's recommendation for the device. It could be a 5-volt (not 5w) adapter for your phone, or it could be one with a slight difference in voltage for another device.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2002
6846 posts
2665 upvotes
Toronto
New account, you work for them I assume?
Sr. Member
Oct 17, 2009
739 posts
1300 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 2:14 pm
No it's not. There's ZERO reason to avoid brand name USB chargers.

I wouldn't consider THIS one 'brand name', but still, there's nothing special about the OEM chargers (unless you have one of those proprietary fast charging phones that don't do QC or PD, that DO need the OEM charge to get full speed).
One of my fried phones begs to differ. I'll never use a cheap charger again.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3578 posts
3087 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 3:09 am
One of my fried phones begs to differ. I'll never use a cheap charger again.
Where did I say 'cheap'?

Also: a sample of one is a sample of none. OEM chargers can fail too. It's about risk mitigation, and your tolerance for risk.
Sr. Member
Oct 17, 2009
739 posts
1300 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 7:44 am
Where did I say 'cheap'?

Also: a sample of one is a sample of none. OEM chargers can fail too. It's about risk mitigation, and your tolerance for risk.
A no-name brand has zero incentive (beyond negative reviews) to not blow up your phone. If these companies catch too much negative attention, they can rebrand their devices in a day.
Just not worth it for me. When you buy a branded charger, at least you can rely on the notion that these companies don't want to sully their brand names.
But yeah, it's all about your tolerance for risk. I had a high tolerance and took some chances, and now I have a low tolerance because I was burned :S
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3578 posts
3087 upvotes
MikoWilson wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 10:12 pm
A no-name brand has zero incentive (beyond negative reviews) to not blow up your phone. If these companies catch too much negative attention, they can rebrand their devices in a day.
Just not worth it for me. When you buy a branded charger, at least you can rely on the notion that these companies don't want to sully their brand names.
But yeah, it's all about your tolerance for risk. I had a high tolerance and took some chances, and now I have a low tolerance because I was burned :S
Umm, ya, which is basically what I said in my post: use a branded charger.

Might want to go back and read it.

Top