• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2019 3:45 pm
[OP]
Sep 8, 2013
85 posts
24 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon Canada] Thermal imaging camera Seek Revealpro CAD 549

I was looking for a while for hi-res thermal camera and was surprised to find that one in Amazon for this price. Immediately ordered myself one. The "disadvantage" that it hasn't touchscreen is actually good whenever using gloves.

"RevealPRO combines a high-performance 320 x 240 thermal sensor with intuitive software to help you work smarter. And, when you need it, a powerful 300-lumen LED light is available at the touch of a button."

EDIT: I returned it very disappointed. The weird angle and the lack of combo image makes it very hard to find where actually you are pointing it. My ancient FlirOne saved me twice. Great for sports, but not for work.
Last edited by zemonti on Jul 4th, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
23 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23985 posts
9515 upvotes
Wow 320x240 sensor.
That's not even sarcasm considering most thermal cameras meant for consumers are 80x60.

If I didn't already have a Flir E4 I'd be all over this.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1379 posts
759 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 4:36 pm
Wow 320x240 sensor.
That's not even sarcasm considering most thermal cameras meant for consumers are 80x60.

Can the average joe wave one of these around the house if suspecting issues behind the dry wall or does 1 need special training to be able to use and analyze the cameras findings?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11772 posts
11406 upvotes
Oakville
death_hawk wrote:
Wow 320x240 sensor.

Yea, that's pretty good for the price. The RevealPro is also less than the amazon.com price of $521 USD so good deal, especially for an all in one.

The Seek CompactPro has the same 320x240 resolution and is available for $365 USD ($481 CAD) with less tax if you can pickup in the USA. https://www.amazon.com/Seek-UQ-AAA-Comp ... B01LXM0BSH
Also on amazon.ca for $392 CAD https://www.amazon.ca/Seek-LQ-AAA-Compa ... B01LXM0BSH

I'm not sure if I'd prefer a stand alone unit or the phone adapter...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23985 posts
9515 upvotes
FireHawk2k wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 4:59 pm
I've been using this one. Same resolution and cheaper, but needs a smartphone. Pretty happy with it
engineered wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 5:16 pm
I'm not sure if I'd prefer a stand alone unit or the phone adapter...
Personally I've broken enough MicroUSB ports that I know better than to "dongle" something.
You save $100 now, but one tiny accident means that you're either replacing this, your phone's charge port, or both.
If I was going in new, I'd for sure get a standalone unit.

Plus MicroUSB is on the way out so you basically have to keep a dedicated phone just for it.
adilh53 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 5:11 pm

Can the average joe wave one of these around the house if suspecting issues behind the dry wall or does 1 need special training to be able to use and analyze the cameras findings?
I mean... a pro probably can see things that the average idiot doesn't, but I'm the average idiot and I still get pretty good use out of it.
Doesn't take a genius to see a giant blue spot on a wall.
But if you're looking at something more complicated then yeah...
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11772 posts
11406 upvotes
Oakville
death_hawk wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 5:38 pm
Personally I've broken enough MicroUSB ports that I know better than to "dongle" something.
You save $100 now, but one tiny accident means that you're either replacing this, your phone's charge port, or both.
If I was going in new, I'd for sure get a standalone unit.

Plus MicroUSB is on the way out so you basically have to keep a dedicated phone just for it.

I mean... a pro probably can see things that the average idiot doesn't, but I'm the average idiot and I still get pretty good use out of it.
Doesn't take a genius to see a giant blue spot on a wall.
But if you're looking at something more complicated then yeah...
Yea, my thoughts as well. Though they do have a USB-C version coming out this summer.
Other advantages are that you have less to carry, and I think you get extra features like the photo overlay that uses your phones camera.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1530 posts
834 upvotes
Kitchener
Anyone know if there is a place to rent one of these for a few days?
Mar 20, 2016
295 posts
216 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote:
Wow 320x240 sensor.

E4 has a 320x240 sensor inside, if you were not already aware.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23985 posts
9515 upvotes
jpwkr1 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 6:41 pm
E4 has a 320x240 sensor inside, if you were not already aware.
But it's limited to 80x60 unless you hack it (which I did, and was the reason I bought it)
That's why I'm surprised at a consumer model with 320x240 since a "real" 320x240 (Flir E8) usually has another zero on this thing's price.
Aug 26, 2018
377 posts
741 upvotes
The FLIR ONE Pro has USB-C connectors and 160x120 thermal resolution.

There isn't any regulatory restriction for civilian thermal imaging resolution AFAIK. The ITAR regulation on exporting thermal imaging equipment is <9Hz refresh rate.
adilh53 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 5:11 pm
The average joe uses their thermal imaging system to film their toilet before and after a warm piss at least once. Then watch in real time as it is flushed and the water turn back to a cold color.

After that, this toy gets stored somewhere collecting dust until you figure out how to goof off with it again. Such as, drawing secret messages on your table using your body warmth and watch as the message fades away. Gives those social media messaging companies that promise privacy and instant delete a run for their money. Once the heat is dissipated from the table, that message is gone folks. Forever. Not stored in a server somewhere. Just gone. #privacy
Apr 24, 2012
466 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
fattyburger11 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 8:20 pm
After that, this toy gets stored somewhere collecting dust
So... Just like your average RFDer you say? Buy what's on sale, not what you need!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23985 posts
9515 upvotes
fattyburger11 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 8:20 pm
The average joe uses their thermal imaging system to film their toilet before and after a warm piss at least once. Then watch in real time as it is flushed and the water turn back to a cold color.
BRB...
[OP]
Sep 8, 2013
85 posts
24 upvotes
Montreal
FireHawk2k wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 4:59 pm
I've been using this one. Same resolution and cheaper, but needs a smartphone. Pretty happy with it
https://www.amazon.ca/Seek-LQ-AAA-Compa ... B01LXM0BSH
A dongle?
I have a Flir One and still using it, but I'm tired of being careful to not break the USB port and rush to save the battery.

The dongle is good for home users, but sucks for work, or sports.