Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Think and Grow Rich Kindle Edition $0

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2022 9:33 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56486 posts
21536 upvotes
Skimmed throught the book, although I'll be reading the book a week from now.

I'm not used to reading self-help books but there are some adage of wisdom sprinkled throughout the boook. Nowhere does the author talk about buying equities or stocks low and selling them high haha. You lazy guys who jumped to conclusions crack me up. There's a search function for keywords within kindle, even on my desktop browser. :)

Fear of Poverty -- this is so true, many people in developing countries became successfully because if they didn't start their own gig, they will be left mostly in poverty.

Wrong selection of mate -- always said marry for love and money haha

The average American has security of property rights not found in any other country in the world.

Money is worth no more than brains. It is often worth much less. Competent "brains", if effectively marketed, represent a much more desirable form of capital than that which is required to conduct a business dealing in commodities, because "brains" are a form of acapital which cannot be permanently depreciated through depressions, nor can this form of capital be stolen or spent.

Almost suggests we should be careful with major decision points in life -- what to study, who to marry -- and to keep learning and stop procrastination.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3140 posts
3005 upvotes
Antarctica
redflagdealsguy wrote: You get it. They don't.

Some people also summarize these books as:
Be smart, lucky, and work hard.

Foolish misrepresentation.

Their flippant response to life changing financial success is one of their worst self-sabotaging habits.
We do. The book is outdated and offers little of true substance. Too much fluff padding too.

Just because it’s a get rich book doesn’t automatically mean it’s in the same league as other get rich books.

But nice try subtle pushing of your agenda again by criticizing “them for being not so conservatively good”
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4239 posts
3475 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
Patrickpete wrote: This is one of the worst self help books I've read. I couldn't make it through the whole thing. There are a lot of repetition of ideas throughout, and many are outdated and made more sense in the 1900s than now. This book is also controversial. Apparently, Hills never actually met any of the people he proclaimed to have learned from in this book. But I think I understand why so many successful people highly rate it; back then, there just wasn't that much in the genre of self help.

If you want good books, go for something like "the slight edge" from Jeff Olson or the power of habit by Charles Duhigg. They are much more refined and modernized.
How is the audiobook of Slight Edge in Persian but not English? lol (Couldn't find it on Audible)
https://toronto.overdrive.com/media/4790594
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4239 posts
3475 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
Comments in this thread reflected in the GoodReads reviews, very polarizing:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/301 ... -grow-rich

In any case, it's definitely worth adding for free to your library for free. I did from a previous RFD reco. I wouldn't say the book is trash, there's some historic value in it (first type of self-help book).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56486 posts
21536 upvotes
ADenariusSaved wrote: Comments in this thread reflected in the GoodReads reviews, very polarizing:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/301 ... -grow-rich

In any case, it's definitely worth adding for free to your library for free. I did from a previous RFD reco. I wouldn't say the book is trash, there's some historic value in it (first type of self-help book).
Even if a book laid out 100 step by step instructions in easy to follow format to grow our wealth, I'm sure 90% of us on RFD won't be able or willing to follow due to impatience and general disbelief.

It's good to be cynical with get rich quick schemes but there's always real investment opportunities out there, probably a few diamond in the rough. Problem is whether we can spot these mispricings. Lots of vulture funds do that all the time with distressed debt, that sometimes aren't really that distressed. Going concern risk requires a one year lookout period.

So goes when r/e bottoms in a few quarters. Not every household is downtrodden and many are still gainfully employed making good money. Many just stepped on the sidelines because it's not a great feeling to be trying to catch a falling knife, even if the descent is not going to be that steep, in hindsight. These asset price drops looks scary but that's because of the bubble that formed.

Forward P/E on Russell 2000 was 50+x this time last year.
Feb 3, 2015
78 posts
87 upvotes
Alert, Nunavut
I like how there are people in this thread getting defensive about this book, as though it's the bible of financials. I'd like to know if any of these people have actually gotten rich from reading it. Wait, let me guess, "Well no I'm not a millionaire (yet), but I have made some money after reading it" is likely going to be the response.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4239 posts
3475 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
DoYouEvenPriceMatch wrote: I like how there are people in this thread getting defensive about this book, as though it's the bible of financials. I'd like to know if any of these people have actually gotten rich from reading it. Wait, let me guess, "Well no I'm not a millionaire (yet), but I have made some money after reading it" is likely going to be the response.
I would say this book is closer to 'The Secret' (which I'm definitely not reading) than to Four Pillars of Investing, let's say lol. There's some odd metaphysics and pseudoscience in this book as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2810 posts
6142 upvotes
Vancouver
ADenariusSaved wrote: There's something called a permanent portfolio which uses 25% gold, 25% stocks, 25% long-term bonds, 25% cash. It doesn't make a lot, but it hardly takes any damage. The Sharpe ratio is pretty good, so you can leverage it in low-rate environments. I always wondered why it had 25% cash. They said it was for situations where governments deliberately create a recession to control inflation, which I thought was unfathomable because of the amount of public debt out there. Now the cash allocation makes sense. I tried to get rid of cash at the earliest opportunity into stocks, I'm bag holding =/...
This sounds like a work from home scam pitch lmao
Nov 30, 2011
581 posts
392 upvotes
This and most popular books can be downloaded for free as PDFs from a Google search, why would you pay for it? Is it just to be able to read it on a Kindle?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
2134 posts
5348 upvotes
North York ON
Bzzzzt wrote: This and most popular books can be downloaded for free as PDFs from a Google search, why would you pay for it? Is it just to be able to read it on a Kindle?
If it's free on Amazon, it's convenient. If you have a PDF, you need to convert it to one of the e-reader formats. That process usually messes up the formatting and metadata. Text to speech may not work well. It may be trickier to find a free e-reader version legally.

I believe with the Kindle, you can purchase the book and it can be sent to download directly to all of your devices and have the progress and highlights sync as well. You can have a Kindle and devices with the Kindle app all in sync.
Penalty Box
Feb 24, 2018
24796 posts
32534 upvotes
TGR is a classic in personal development circles.

Read it with the lens of being one of the first modern self help books in building up your professional assets.

I'm not a book recommending person, I have one book I look to, for guidance on my path. It's my professional version of a Bible, and it's not the OP book.

Those of you who have a voracious interest in building your personal asset base, your tenacity will reveal information and open doors you've yet to realize.

God speed, gentlemen.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4239 posts
3475 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
Bzzzzt wrote: This and most popular books can be downloaded for free as PDFs from a Google search, why would you pay for it? Is it just to be able to read it on a Kindle?
You can technically get almost every book on Library Genesis, but you run the risk of malware from 3rd party sources [I've seen it, personally, in my Linux VM]. I appreciate the cleanliness and authenticity of Amazon's files lol. Works well with the Amazon ecosystem, nothing like having Alexa read them letters.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4239 posts
3475 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
redflagdealsguy wrote: TGR is a classic in personal development circles.

Read it with the lens of being one of the first modern self help books in building up your professional assets.

I'm not a book recommending person, I have one book I look to, for guidance on my path. It's my professional version of a Bible, and it's not the OP book.

Those of you who have a voracious interest in building your personal asset base, your tenacity will reveal information and open doors you've yet to realize.

God speed, gentlemen.
Which book, out of curiosity?
Jul 8, 2019
289 posts
482 upvotes
Pen Island
3 pages of people bitching about a free book.

RFD really is the bucket crab mentality haven of the internet