Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Thinkware F800 Pro two channel with hard wire kit and 32 gb card $379.99 + free ship

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2020 4:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5634 posts
1786 upvotes
Cornwall PE

[Amazon.ca] Thinkware F800 Pro two channel with hard wire kit and 32 gb card $379.99 + free ship

Seems like a good deal to me even if its 1080p. Good enough for most.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
39 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2659 posts
622 upvotes
Vancouver
This unit has wifi. How do you prevent someone from hacking into this unit (aside from strong password)? And can they delete what's been recorded.

With no screen, you can only review on an iOS or Andriod device. If you are not in the vehicle, no one in the vehicle can review an incident. Is this correct?
Aug 24, 2017
62 posts
168 upvotes
yvrwindsor wrote: This unit has wifi. How do you prevent someone from hacking into this unit (aside from strong password)? And can they delete what's been recorded.

With no screen, you can only review on an iOS or Andriod device. If you are not in the vehicle, no one in the vehicle can review an incident. Is this correct?
It requires a wifi password and the vehicle needs to be turned on for it to connect.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4124 posts
3689 upvotes
TIL that people will pay insane amounts of money for a dash cam.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30297 posts
16126 upvotes
Ottawa
yvrwindsor wrote: This unit has wifi. How do you prevent someone from hacking into this unit (aside from strong password)? And can they delete what's been recorded.

If you're paranoid, just disable wifi and transfer videos by pulling out the microsd card.
Nov 15, 2017
63 posts
84 upvotes
repatch wrote: TIL that people will pay insane amounts of money for a dash cam.
Why wouldn't you, has the potentially to pay for itself really.
Jun 1, 2005
768 posts
136 upvotes
GVR

The Wifi on my cheaper Thinkware needs to be "turned on" by pressing a button, so it's not actively on. But not sure about this unit.

[EDIT] Wifi always automatically turns off after a time out if you don't connect, or disconnect from your phone
Last edited by whiteGSR on Jan 24th, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 24, 2017
62 posts
168 upvotes
martyre wrote: Why wouldn't you, has the potentially to pay for itself really.
I got one last year and without it, I would’ve paid a hit and run $500 deductible so it paid for itself already.
Jan 21, 2016
173 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Good camera, but this deal is lukewarm. I bought the same camera + hardwire kit + 32 gb card, including an installation kit for $329+tax from BlackBox My Car Canada. Bought the rear camera for $70 from Best Buy around the same time. I would expect a better than $20 discount over a year later, especially with newer models out.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
1945 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto

Your assumption is somehow awkward. Your phone also equipped with wifi .. so let say anyone at coffee shop sitting next to you can hack in and delete the stuff on your phone?

It stores all the video on a memory card. I don't really worry about someone would hack in and delete etc but the chances of the files corruption on the memory card itself.

Most of the korean made high end dash cameras don't come with a screen.. u review it via the phone app or computers.

I have two f800 cams and they were doing great.
Jan 2, 2017
381 posts
527 upvotes
If it's a quality unit it's not that much for a front and rear camera with an sd card/hardwire kit.

SD card = ~$10-20
Hardwire kit = ~$20

So that leaves $350 for two, so $175 per camera. With the wifi feature it's pretty attractive for some folk. Just because it's a high pricetag doesn't mean it's not worth it.
May 4, 2014
147 posts
45 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
Not a good deal. I bought the entire kit with wiring for 329
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2018 posts
371 upvotes
KentY198 wrote: Not a good deal. I bought the entire kit with wiring for 329
When, where? camel 3x shows this is about the lowest price
May 4, 2014
147 posts
45 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
drunkgoat wrote: When, where? camel 3x shows this is about the lowest price
Small local shop, just call and ask for their best price. Got mine in June.