• Dec 13th, 2017 12:03 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
1556 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] Tile - Key finder/never lose anything $44.99

I've never heard of it or used it but it sounds like a good idea and would be convenient.

https://www.amazon.ca/stores/page/CE4D4 ... 76dce5b235
33 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21185 posts
2048 upvotes
$45 is the regular price for the Pro.
Feb 17, 2014
12 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary
Downside to these are the you cannot replace the battery and are only guaranteed to last a year.
Nov 7, 2011
17 posts
3 upvotes
AGASSIZ
Might be good for finding stolen items as well, like your car etc?
Apr 29, 2014
703 posts
151 upvotes
Pickering, ON
What's the difference between the pro and other version?

I would love to get something like this to pin on my 2 toddlers clothes.
Sep 30, 2015
311 posts
195 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
SleepyEyez wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 11:44 am
What's the difference between the pro and other version?

I would love to get something like this to pin on my 2 toddlers clothes.
200 ft Bluetooth range compared to 100 ft
Waterproof compared to water resistant
Louder volume
Jul 26, 2013
62 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
I use the Trackr Bravo. I would recommend if you just want something to find your stuff around the house or can't remember if you left something at work.

Pros:
- Does have replacable battery
- way cheaper than the Tile (can get expensive if you start adding these to lots of stuff)
- range adequate enough to find nearby devices in same or adjacent room (I tested it to work through closed door at 50 feet)
- keeps a record of location of where device last connected.
- Trackr app is easy to use

Cons:
- Bluetooth range claims are marketing exaggerations. Real world use will be substantially less than 100 feet (with plausible exception of line of sight with no obstructions)
- Crowd GPS doesn't really work well but don't expect any Bluetooth "GPS" service to work well.
- device and phone seperation feature gives too many false alarms to be useful. (you can turn off the feature)
- ringer is adequate to find item but would be a little easier if it was louder

TBD:
- Durability. I haven't had any problem with any of my Bravos but I've had them only for a week.

Overall I'm happy with the Bravo device thus far. The cons were expected (seeing as its using bluetooth which has limited range). I haven't tried Tile but tried some other cheaper Ebay tracking devices and they were all garbage (either batteries died too quick, bluetooth range was even more limited, or device stopped working entirely), BB had a special on 8 Trackr Bravos for 80 bucks last week. Unless the cons have somehow been addressed with the Tile (which is unlikely given the limitations of Bluetooth) IMO the Trackr Bravos in bulk are a better deal at that price. As long as you ignore some of the marketing claims they can still be useful for finding stuff around work and home.

(edits: typos and refinement of review)
Last edited by needybot on Dec 12th, 2017 11:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
Apr 29, 2014
703 posts
151 upvotes
Pickering, ON
King31 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 11:48 am
200 ft Bluetooth range compared to 100 ft
Waterproof compared to water resistant
Louder volume
Is this the best solution for children?
Sep 30, 2015
311 posts
195 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
SleepyEyez wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 11:55 am
I'm not really sure what you are trying to use it for?
If they were kidnapped it would only tell you the last place they were when you were in range. But I mean it may help you find them if they got lost in the mall.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18860 posts
1307 upvotes
If you really want to do this, just order the Nut at 1/2 the price, works the same way.

https://www.amazon.ca/TaoFilm-Pro-Bluet ... ut+locator

Personally I find these things useless. I used one to try to keep track of my cat and the range is just not useful enough since it is bluetooth based. These 100/200 foot range claims are assuming two people standing in an open field in ideal conditions... add any walls to the mix and it falls off a cliff rapidly.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 5, 2006
834 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
I believe one thing about the Tile is that everybody that uses the Tile is helping others in updating the other Tile's location.
So more people using it, the more likely your lost Tile will get picked up by someone else close by.
Yes, the chances are low, but better than solely relying on your own phone to do the updating.
Oct 28, 2015
14 posts
4 upvotes
Guelph, ON
If it's for keys then get KeySmart Pro, it's has Tile locator built-in and rechargeable. 3packs were on sale last Blackfriday. I prefer Tile's community as it have more users = better chance of finding your lost stuff.
Jul 26, 2013
62 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
SleepyEyez wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 11:55 am
No. Get them a cheap android smartphone with an annual plan if you want something for more serious tracking. Android has a built-in tracking feature for the phone... so if the kids have the phone you know where your kids are. Petro Canada has an annual mobility plan for 100 bucks that your can purchase directly from Petro Canada gas stations (added benefit of pay-as-you-go is that the kids can't take you to the cleaners with phone charges). All you need to do is keep the receipt and SIM and call the number on it to activate the plan.

(more details)
https://mobility.petro-canada.ca/anytime-plan.aspx
Last edited by needybot on Dec 12th, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
6521 posts
1994 upvotes
GVR
DarrelK wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 11:34 am
Downside to these are the you cannot replace the battery and are only guaranteed to last a year.
The world / environment certainly doesn't need more disposable consumer electronics.

As such, I consider this a rather fundamental design flaw, and an environmentally unethical company.