Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

TOGUARD Dash Cam 4K 3840x2160P GPS

  • Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2020 2:11 pm
17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1999 posts
1657 upvotes
Older thread:
amazon-ca-toguard-ce55-4k-dashcam-gps-49-99-2368503/

I've owned this for about a month now... honestly night mode is pretty garbage even at 4k25fps (with hopes that a lower frame rate would open up the aperature). If your drives consists of lots of back road driving or on roads with no street lamps, you can expect to reasonably to identify another vehicle (shape, make, model, etc.) and objects, but don't expect to be able to read the license plate at night.

Day time quality in 4k25 isn't great. At lower speeds, plates are visible; higher speeds (think 100kph+), not so much for oncoming traffic.

Oh and, they have an incentive program where writing an Amazon review = free item of choice (32GB SD card, OTG reader, Cigarette lighter charger). Just a FYI.
Last edited by sports1 on May 26th, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23058 posts
28544 upvotes
Is this garbage overall?

Forget about 4K, can this do 1080p60 with reasonable fidelity?
.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1999 posts
1657 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Is this garbage overall?

Forget about 4K, can this do 1080p60 with reasonable fidelity?
Was on my list to try, but with Covid I haven't done much driving lately... hopefully someone else has an answer for you. I started off using 2.7k, then 4k, and was going to swap to 1080p60.
Last edited by sports1 on May 26th, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 29, 2020
54 posts
21 upvotes
sports1 wrote: Oh and, they have an incentive program where writing an Amazon review = free item of choice (32GB SD card, OTG reader, Cigarette lighter charger). Just a FYI.
Oh? interesting! Where do you find details on this incentive program?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 26, 2011
905 posts
956 upvotes
Calgary
ilovesushi12 wrote: Oh? interesting! Where do you find details on this incentive program?
There's instructions in the box
Newbie
Dec 12, 2013
83 posts
224 upvotes
Have been in the market for a dashcam, but turned off by the sounds of an "incentive program".

Anyone know of a better dashcam at the $50 price point?
Newbie
Jul 30, 2012
43 posts
64 upvotes
Working temperature:-4℉~140℉
Good luck using this in the winter
Jr. Member
Apr 14, 2015
153 posts
42 upvotes
Regina, SK
Nicosiana wrote: Good luck using this in the winter
Yea not gonna work in Canada except Vancouver and BC lower mainland.

Capacitor powered cameras is still the primary choice
Sr. Member
Nov 8, 2008
772 posts
940 upvotes
I posted this last time it came up: amazon-ca-toguard-ce55-4k-dashcam-gps-49-99-2368503/

I ended up returning it. The "4K" is clearly upscaled, and the quality at 1080p is not even comparable to more reputable 1080p dashcams in the $50-65 range. It's passable in daytime - maybe - and quite poor at night. I compared footage to a 5-year-old G1WC clone I'd installed in my dad's car and the old, heavily used camera was better.

Your money is probably better spent on one of the slightly higher priced options like 70mai or Yi Dash Cam. Or best bet is to spend a bit more and get something like the models from VIOFO ($90 on Amazon sometimes) which have much, much better image quality.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
8941 posts
1502 upvotes
TO
What would be a good one with night video and easy to install and can record when car is turn off overnight recording ?
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 2, 2008
1035 posts
1532 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
A crapload of obviously paid reviews, incentive program for reviews, third party seller (likely from China), HUGE discount codes.

Dubious product at best. OP is possibly shilling.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 25, 2003
5094 posts
7196 upvotes
Vancouver
OP, how about price in title??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1999 posts
1657 upvotes
carsncars wrote: I posted this last time it came up: amazon-ca-toguard-ce55-4k-dashcam-gps-49-99-2368503/

I ended up returning it. The "4K" is clearly upscaled, and the quality at 1080p is not even comparable to more reputable 1080p dashcams in the $50-65 range. It's passable in daytime - maybe - and quite poor at night. I compared footage to a 5-year-old G1WC clone I'd installed in my dad's car and the old, heavily used camera was better.

Your money is probably better spent on one of the slightly higher priced options like 70mai or Yi Dash Cam. Or best bet is to spend a bit more and get something like the models from VIOFO ($90 on Amazon sometimes) which have much, much better image quality.
I am slightly tempted to return this dashcam as well. The only saving grace is the 'stealth' design akin to the Viofo A123 (aesthetic is important to me, I hate bludgy things hanging from my dash). Otherwise I'd return in a heartbeat.

Oh, other thing: this uses a mini USB interface, not micro. Comes with all the necessary cables, just something to keep in mind.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 25, 2003
5094 posts
7196 upvotes
Vancouver
sports1 wrote: Oh, other thing: this uses a mini USB interface, not micro. Comes with all the necessary cables, just something to keep in mind.
Just a reminder how dated it is...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)

Top