Tom Hanks 8 DVD Collection - Deal of the Day @$11.99 - In stock on November 2

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2021 3:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4713 posts
2640 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Tom Hanks 8 DVD Collection - Deal of the Day @$11.99 - In stock on November 2

Angels & Demons / A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood / Captain Phillips / Da Vinci Code / Inferno / A League of Their Own / Philadelphia / Sleepless in Seattle for $1.50 each

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08FS229BX?ref ... 61ccdc9_NA

#tom1.jpg

#tom2.jpg
18 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2229 posts
1726 upvotes
Canada
I could barely give away my DVD collection... this is definitely for a niche crowd. All that aside, I really enjoy Tom Hanks movies.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
10397 posts
4279 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
At first I thought great price, then read Dvd (((. Who watches that?

I have trouble watching regular blu-ray when 4k is available. Though, all my recent purchases were digital 4k anyway. Going to physical media and DVD is very painful.

Maybe good gift for grandma? Then again, I think she would be looking for a different collection.
Last edited by Andro on Oct 18th, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
3735 posts
485 upvotes
Vancouver
Surprisingly, DVDs still capture 60% of the physical media market share last time I checked. That said, I kinda agree dvd is hard to watch once you watch Blu ray!.
Oct 11, 2006
550 posts
302 upvotes
What a bunch of righteous, pretentious answers... from people who don't like to have physical copies of films (as if internet streaming is always guaranteed!) to those who turn their nose up to DVD because of 4K.
It's like refusing to have physical books in the house because you have public libraries instead.

Use a good upscaling player - or better yet, MPC-BE with LAV filters! - and these DVDs will look almost as good as blu-rays.

As for 4K... there is a curve of diminishing returns. Some films will look good, some of them can't be helped, no matter what. See the case of BTTF versus LOTR.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4965 posts
3080 upvotes
I flip new/sealed DVDs on Amazon FBA and sometimes eBay, they actually move pretty quickly.
More surprisingly, books don't move anywhere near as fast as I would have thought, especially since most Amazon FBA sellers in the US just sell books.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2735 posts
1157 upvotes
Quebec
No Money pit?

hard pass :P
Nov 10, 2005
390 posts
253 upvotes
strangelove9 wrote: Use a good upscaling player - or better yet, MPC-BE with LAV filters! - and these DVDs will look almost as good as blu-rays.
Why spend the extra money just to still fall short of blu-ray quality?

There's still a big difference between DVD and BD even when using a good upscaling player. If DVD quality is good enough for you - go to town. If you want BD quality - then just buy BD.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12480 posts
2726 upvotes
Mississauga
ratatapa wrote: No Money pit?

hard pass :P
JustinZ wrote: No Forrest Gump?!
These are Tom Hanks movies that he made for Sony. These other movies are from Universal and Paramount. It is extremely difficult for a box set to have movies from different studios.
Jul 2, 2007
607 posts
194 upvotes
Canada
T.Hanks for posting this deal @pootza , but it appears it is no longer available.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4713 posts
2640 upvotes
speedway84 wrote: T.Hanks for posting this deal @pootza , but it appears it is no longer available.
Already notified the mods it has expired.
Banned
Jan 10, 2020
77 posts
73 upvotes
JustinZ wrote: No Forrest Gump?!
THANK YOU! How the hell does anyone not put Forest Gump in a Tom Hanks collection!?!? One of the all time great movies!
Sep 15, 2019
364 posts
950 upvotes
orleans
The joke will be on you guys when the powers that be execute the internet killswitch, and I can comfortably watch Cast Away in 480p.
I will tell my grandchildren about the deal I got on an HP Touchpad at the Bank street staples thanks to rfding.
Feb 18, 2008
688 posts
1418 upvotes
strangelove9 wrote: What a bunch of righteous, pretentious answers... from people who don't like to have physical copies of films (as if internet streaming is always guaranteed!) to those who turn their nose up to DVD because of 4K.
It's like refusing to have physical books in the house because you have public libraries instead.

Use a good upscaling player - or better yet, MPC-BE with LAV filters! - and these DVDs will look almost as good as blu-rays.

As for 4K... there is a curve of diminishing returns. Some films will look good, some of them can't be helped, no matter what. See the case of BTTF versus LOTR.
Which case of BTTF vs LOTR? Could you please elaborate?

I don't like dvd, prefer BR, a bonus for someone with kids is that BR is more scratch resistant.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10908 posts
4136 upvotes
gotglint wrote: will this DVD Collection play on my VHS or laserdisc player?
Yah, no issues playing on the VHS player, not sure about laserdisc. Order it and let us know if it does.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10908 posts
4136 upvotes
Some of his worst work is in this collection, Inferno, Da Vinci???

No Forrest Gump, Green Mile, Castaway, Catch Me ...
Oct 11, 2006
550 posts
302 upvotes
loletifie wrote: Which case of BTTF vs LOTR? Could you please elaborate?
Watch any of these one after another and you'll see... BTTF is not helped by the move to 4K, and there's barely any perceivable difference between the Blu and the 4K HDR.
LOTR, on the other hand, looks much better than any previous iterations.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)