[Amazon.ca] Topping A50 + D50s DAC and AMP for $428.38 all in

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2020 9:35 am
[OP]
Jan 26, 2018
691 posts
320 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Topping A50 + D50s DAC and AMP for $428.38 all in

I was eyeing on this combo for a while and added them in my cart for almost a month.
the original prices were 277.99 and 225.99, today when I open my cart and saw the price change notification.
So I pulled the trigger right away.

drop.com has the D50s for 185USD, can't see the price for A50 (sold out anyway), my guess is it's about on par with drop.com
but there is no duty, tax or other fees.

Here are the review and measures of D50s
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... -dac.7914/

I haven't found a similar measure/test for A50 (new product)

Here are the links to the products.

Topping D50s
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07VJG ... UTF8&psc=1

Topping A50
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0823X ... =UTF8&th=1
33 replies
Sep 22, 2010
286 posts
123 upvotes
Victoria
For those in the know...how does this compare to a DAC with a ESS Sabre32 chip? I'm strictly speaking sound quality-wise.

EDIT:Hmm...I see this runs a ESS Sabre chip as well.

Thanks,
Cal.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
1230 posts
337 upvotes
YYC
Save your money and get the A30, Its alot cheaper and sounds 10X better.. I had both so I am speaking from experience.
May 17, 2007
399 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
I think for my need the DX3 pro will work for me.
Feb 23, 2014
864 posts
360 upvotes
I've been hoping for a Schiit stack but they're hard to buy in Canada.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2887 posts
551 upvotes
BC
Too bad the topping d70 isn’t on sale, it has a much warmer dac chip.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2011
1410 posts
496 upvotes
I already have the iFi Zen.

How does it compare to Topping?
Oct 3, 2019
38 posts
54 upvotes
paul29m wrote: I've been hoping for a Schiit stack but they're hard to buy in Canada.
Make sure to check b-stock on the Schiit website. They had a Magni 3 for $49 USD the other day, which is now gone and a Modi 3 for $79 USD. The Modi 3 is still there and the Asgard 2/Bifrost. You will get hit with brokerage fees and the shipping cost is nuts. If you have somewhere in the states to ship that would be ideal.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2018
691 posts
320 upvotes
Importz wrote: Save your money and get the A30, Its alot cheaper and sounds 10X better.. I had both so I am speaking from experience.
Like to konw more about your story, what HF do you use, I think on drop.com they claim the A50 is better for high independce HFs.
paul29m wrote: I've been hoping for a Schiit stack but they're hard to buy in Canada.
Had the same thought for years and finally gave up.
Nov 15, 2009
777 posts
215 upvotes
3digit wrote: Make sure to check b-stock on the Schiit website. They had a Magni 3 for $49 USD the other day, which is now gone and a Modi 3 for $79 USD. The Modi 3 is still there and the Asgard 2/Bifrost. You will get hit with brokerage fees and the shipping cost is nuts. If you have somewhere in the states to ship that would be ideal.
I am not into DAC.
Does DAC Digital to analog converter drastically improve sound quality. Meaning voice sound and instrument playing quality.
My system is old Yamaha Natural Sound AV Receiver HTR-5730 brought it from Best Buy ( I think it was $200 at time)
Speaker are old too RCA Dimensia. Brought it froum Audio system specialty store in Ville Staint Pierre district of Montreal. Can't remember the name, maybe Cetrale Audi Video Informatique. I went upstair to check it out. They had special room to check out the music. When I got to top of stair. I was blown away by sound quality of speaker. Looked at the speaker it was used and had little bit of grille ripped. Opened grille and found center bulge, round part was pushed in. I brought two RCA Dimensia speaker, knowing full well that they had heavy duty receiver with system.

So which website sell's Shiit Modi 3 for 79 USD? I looked on Amazon.ca it is about $250 CAD

To the person that said Topping A30 is good. I was watching YouTube video, one guy said A10 or is it D10 is good because it has capability of playing 32 bit.

My music file is 320 Kbps, each song is about 16.7MB. I have Samsung 50inch TV connected to sound system. Basically playing music through Kodi right now. Which one would be a better choice Topping A30 or A10 or Shiit Modi 3.
Jul 17, 2012
661 posts
250 upvotes
Kamloops
MasterMK wrote: I am not into DAC.
Does DAC Digital to analog converter drastically improve sound quality. Meaning voice sound and instrument playing quality.
My system is old Yamaha Natural Sound AV Receiver HTR-5730 brought it from Best Buy ( I think it was $200 at time)
Speaker are old too RCA Dimensia. Brought it froum Audio system specialty store in Ville Staint Pierre district of Montreal. Can't remember the name, maybe Cetrale Audi Video Informatique. I went upstair to check it out. They had special room to check out the music. When I got to top of stair. I was blown away by sound quality of speaker. Looked at the speaker it was used and had little bit of grille ripped. Opened grille and found center bulge, round part was pushed in. I brought two RCA Dimensia speaker, knowing full well that they had heavy duty receiver with system.

So which website sell's Shiit Modi 3 for 79 USD? I looked on Amazon.ca it is about $250 CAD

To the person that said Topping A30 is good. I was watching YouTube video, one guy said A10 or is it D10 is good because it has capability of playing 32 bit.

My music file is 320 Kbps, each song is about 16.7MB. I have Samsung 50inch TV connected to sound system. Basically playing music through Kodi right now. Which one would be a better choice Topping A30 or A10 or Shiit Modi 3.
these days wireless headphones with LDAC does a pretty wonderful job replicating hi-res music. i have a MW07 and Audeze Mobius and running it off phones like sony xz premium and 4xl and sounds really good. get dac and amp if you want some improvement on sound with big headphones. i been buying and selling dacs and amp for many years now and right now on my desk i have modified audio-gd reference 10.32, haven't been able to find anything cheaper and better yet so i have been steadily selling what i buy lol. when you get serious with headphones you buy dac and amps that's >1000 bucks. i got that one for 1100 bucks which is a huge bargain for the sound you get. i tried many portables around 500-900 bucks from hifiman and fiio, but my tiny AK XB10 bluetooth can compare with those other brand sound quality for 60 bucks which i paid used. i haven't tried Schiit yet but they are very popular. i think it's good price for the sound quality you get. i tried most big headphones 1000 bucks and more like HD800, LCD3, some stax models. settled for audeze in the end, i think i have like 5 audeze headphones right now, different models. i have a sony ma900 for comfort listening and that one pairs extremely well with sony phones. Topping i had the NX4 DSD. at the time was 120 bucks. pretty powerful amp in that thing and really good sound for the price, but then the audio-gd r2r class is much less listen fatigue that's why it's popular in the high end community.

i do my most listening using the MW07 true wireless until i saw news saying these kind headphone can cause cancer but nobody know for sure lol. use in moderation is ok.
Sep 23, 2014
560 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MasterMK wrote: I am not into DAC.

1. From my understanding, DAC converts digital signal to analog. It removes background noise from interference (if it is in the actual sound file it can't remove it). So it will improve the sound, but not that drastically. I think you'll need to pair it with an amplifier to get the best result.

2. For the Schitt Modi, it was on sale from Schiit's webstore, the item is B-stock which means they are final sale and no return. You will also get dinged by duty with FedEx brokerage fee, on top of $43 USD for shipping. So it's not worth it unless you can pick it up in the States.

3. I heard alot of good thing about SMSL AD18, it's a DAC/Amp combo for speakers, with wireless Bluetooth for streaming as well.

muscleking wrote: these days wireless headphones with LDAC does a pretty wonderful job replicating hi-res music. i have a MW07 and Audeze Mobius and running it off phones like sony xz premium and 4xl and sounds really good. get dac and amp if you want some improvement on sound with big headphones. i been buying and selling dacs and amp for many years now and right now on my desk i have modified audio-gd reference 10.32, haven't been able to find anything cheaper and better yet so i have been steadily selling what i buy lol. when you get serious with headphones you buy dac and amps that's >1000 bucks. i got that one for 1100 bucks which is a huge bargain for the sound you get. i tried many portables around 500-900 bucks from hifiman and fiio, but my tiny AK XB10 bluetooth can compare with those other brand sound quality for 60 bucks which i paid used. i haven't tried Schiit yet but they are very popular. i think it's good price for the sound quality you get. i tried most big headphones 1000 bucks and more like HD800, LCD3, some stax models. settled for audeze in the end, i think i have like 5 audeze headphones right now, different models. i have a sony ma900 for comfort listening and that one pairs extremely well with sony phones. Topping i had the NX4 DSD. at the time was 120 bucks. pretty powerful amp in that thing and really good sound for the price, but then the audio-gd r2r class is much less listen fatigue that's why it's popular in the high end community.

i do my most listening using the MW07 true wireless until i saw news saying these kind headphone can cause cancer but nobody know for sure lol. use in moderation is ok.
He's talking about speakers, not headphones.
Last edited by LockAndKey on Jan 21st, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nov 13, 2019
69 posts
113 upvotes
muscleking wrote: these days wireless headphones with LDAC does a pretty wonderful job replicating hi-res music. i have a MW07 and Audeze Mobius and running it off phones like sony xz premium and 4xl and sounds really good. get dac and amp if you want some improvement on sound with big headphones. i been buying and selling dacs and amp for many years now and right now on my desk i have modified audio-gd reference 10.32, haven't been able to find anything cheaper and better yet so i have been steadily selling what i buy lol. when you get serious with headphones you buy dac and amps that's >1000 bucks. i got that one for 1100 bucks which is a huge bargain for the sound you get. i tried many portables around 500-900 bucks from hifiman and fiio, but my tiny AK XB10 bluetooth can compare with those other brand sound quality for 60 bucks which i paid used. i haven't tried Schiit yet but they are very popular. i think it's good price for the sound quality you get. i tried most big headphones 1000 bucks and more like HD800, LCD3, some stax models. settled for audeze in the end, i think i have like 5 audeze headphones right now, different models. i have a sony ma900 for comfort listening and that one pairs extremely well with sony phones. Topping i had the NX4 DSD. at the time was 120 bucks. pretty powerful amp in that thing and really good sound for the price, but then the audio-gd r2r class is much less listen fatigue that's why it's popular in the high end community.

Thoughts on a budget DAC/AMP combo to pair with HD650? I'm guessing your experience with HD800's might be similar enough since I believe they're also 300 ohm. Looking to spend <$300-$400 and was considering the Fiio K5 Pro but not sure if I should look for something with Bluetooth capability.
Nov 15, 2009
777 posts
215 upvotes
Yes, I get the picture. Most of youtube video who uses DAC have high end headphone.

My headphone is Sony MDR-XB600 (low end Best Buy). When I listen to them on Computer, the sound is pretty good. When I hook them up to Yamaha Receiver with coil wire. The sound is not great at all. My intention is listening though RCA Speaker mostly and getting that Computer sound quality, I got from headphone.

I was thinking about getting an Equalizer (maybe old style) to improve sound but this DAC thing looks like a better option.

OK, I found Shiit Modi 3 where it says $79US. So, how much will it be getting to Ontario with shipping, custom and other cost?
[OP]
Jan 26, 2018
691 posts
320 upvotes
MasterMK wrote: OK, I found Shiit Modi 3 where it says $79US. So, how much will it be getting to Ontario with shipping, custom and other cost?
on their website, the cheapest quote shipping is 43ish USD, and Fedex charage brokage fee between 6ish to 9ish USD, I am not sure about tax as it's made in the USA, well, do we have the new NAFTA signed now?
So for a more conservtive guesstimate, for a $79 product, you need about anothe 60ish to get it in front your door.