Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Torosus 480GB SATA Internal SSD - $51.84 NO TAX (Prime One-Day)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2020 5:58 am
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Torosus 480GB SATA Internal SSD - $51.84 NO TAX (Prime One-Day)

LISTING SPECIFICALLY SAYS "LIMITED TIME DEAL", unclear what that means exactly but I'd act quickly if interested.

SSD discount day continues! I've never personally seen a lower price for a 500GB-class SSD. No tax is a bonus.

I'm picking one up for some cheap additional storage but don't have personal experience with it yet. Note that the price on this drive jumps around, it was $60.99 (the current "regular price") a few days ago but jumped to over $70 before I could post it here.

Not exactly speedy at 345/320 vendor rated but it would suit my needs if those are even close to accurate. The Torosus website shows CrystalDiskMark results of 555/484. One of the Q&As indicates it has a DRAM cache but no clue where that info came from, at this point I'm unclear on that point.

I found one quick Youtube review of the 64GB equivalent drive, in my experience larger drives in the same family are generally at least as fast if not faster:

4.5/5 star rating with over 100 reviews, that meets my minimum requirements for giving it a shot.

I've now had a chance to test it, I copied a 30GB zip file over to it and it started at 800MB/s, leveled off at 410MB/s for a while and then dropped into the 20-50MB/s range for the rest of the copy. The drop from 410MB/s happened about 20GB into the transfer so I'm assuming it has a DRAM cache somewhere around 16-20GB in size, wasn't necessarily expecting that for the price.

Also, here are my own CrystalDiskMark results for the drive, they're significantly better than expected and better than the vendor specs indicate:
Capture.PNG
EDIT - added the review link and corrected the speed ratings.

EDIT2 - Added my own CrystalDiskMark results - this thing is significantly better than I expected.
Last edited by RaySmith on Jul 16th, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
32 replies
Mar 18, 2008
309 posts
209 upvotes
Durham Region
Curious to know the reasons for the downvotes. Also no tax
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
l1197493 wrote: It was founded in 2017? Neutral Face
Yeah, China's been booming lately if you haven't heard. Lots of new industry there.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
vipervenom25 wrote: Curious to know the reasons for the downvotes. Also no tax
Yeah, I won't necessarily question the quality ones although I'd prefer they have first-hand experience first but the 2 bad price ones? How is a best price ever for something a bad price? Wonder if the mods pay attention to the downvoters in the broad scheme to keep thing honest or at least semi-rational, feels like there are a few hovering just to get anonymous shots in early to start things rolling in a negative direction either generally or for threads they for some reason don't support.

Also, good call on the no tax thing, didn't notice when I bought it, makes it an even better deal. OP will be updated, thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
2709 posts
1381 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Good for unimportant stuff like a PS4 Pro, I guess?
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2017
1654 posts
2103 upvotes
RaySmith wrote: Yeah, China's been booming lately if you haven't heard. Lots of new industry there.
Consumer though. 2017 = no reputation to uphold and nothing to lose. What if they installed malware into the firmware on boot?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2003
1006 posts
242 upvotes
Mississauga
See my other comment on the other China SSD earlier posted today:
amazon-ca-tc-sunbow-480gb-ssd-sataiii-2 ... #p32835652

Don't want to click? Basically Amazon reviews seem to indicate these China based companies don't honour their warranty, and rather just ignore you.

By the way, I didn't downvote the other deal and I won't downvote this one. Downvoting doesn't encourage posting of good deals.

It's a decent price if you get one and you don't have any issues with it or your issues come within the first 30 days. But you are taking a gamble when there's no warranty, and from reading amazon reviews on SSDs (even the ones from reputable brands) some do fail during the warranty period, past 30 days. Seems like about 1 in 10.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
l1197493 wrote: Consumer though. 2017 = no reputation to uphold and nothing to lose. What if they installed malware into the firmware on boot?
So new companies can't be trusted and products with 100+ almost entirely positive reviews not mention anything about malware aren't enough?

I suppose you're entitled to set your bar as high as you want but there's always a market for the low end and sometimes it's worth dipping into. This was one of those times for me and I've put my money where my post is.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1176 posts
1479 upvotes
ottawa
RaySmith wrote: So new companies can't be trusted and products with 100+ almost entirely positive reviews not mention anything about malware aren't enough?

I suppose you're entitled to set your bar as high as you want but there's always a market for the low end and sometimes it's worth dipping into. This was one of those times for me and I've put my money where my post is.
I wouldn't purchase something based only on reviews, especially on Amazon where they can be bought so easily.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
intx wrote: See my other comment on the other China SSD earlier posted today:
amazon-ca-tc-sunbow-480gb-ssd-sataiii-2 ... #p32835652

Don't want to click? Basically Amazon reviews seem to indicate these China based companies don't honour their warranty, and rather just ignore you.

By the way, I didn't downvote the other deal and I won't downvote this one. Downvoting doesn't encourage posting of good deals.

It's a decent price if you get one and you don't have any issues with it or your issues come within the first 30 days. But you are taking a gamble when there's no warranty, and from reading amazon reviews on SSDs (even the ones from reputable brands) some do fail during the warranty period, past 30 days. Seems like about 1 in 10.
Yeah, I won't argue with any of that right now. I'm treating this as a 30 day return warranty if I run into issues (including performance, I've been screwed by low-performing SSDs before) and if I don't I'll just toss it if/when it dies, for $50 it wouldn't be worth shipping back to China anyway at the shipping rates we pay here. I'll also be backing it up regularly as I do everything else regardless of the brand.

It's no different from a $30 power bank, a $25 set of Bluetooth speakers or anything else at the low end that Chinese companies have gotten surprisingly good at designing and manufacturing lately. Sure, you can pay more for a reputable company with a long history (probably not entirely positive, either, there are a lot of folks who won't buy Samsung for various reasons) that has its products manufactured in a similar plant to the ones the Chinese brands use, but there's now an increasingly viable market below that point where you can almost trust you won't get screwed. I won't say we're entirely there yet but it's way more on my radar than it was even 6 months ago and it will only get better. The generic warnings like these will only become less necessary and relevant as time goes on, IMO, as companies like Anker are now even starting to populate shelves at limited supply retailers like Costco who are pretty picky about who they'll front.

And yes, there are obviously other aspects to consider when supporting the Chinese economy but until the name brand companies stop manufacturing in the same Chinese facilities and padding their prices with their perceived name value this will continue. I'm not sure that paying the Chinese companies directly is any worse than indirectly.

My only nitpick - if you consider this price "decent" what would you consider a better price that's currently available for purchase? I realize you just copied your earlier post but that's somewhat unfair to this product which is coming in significantly cheaper than the earlier one from an (IMO) equivalently non-top-tier brand.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1539 posts
480 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RaySmith wrote: Yeah, I won't argue with any of that right now. I'm treating this as a 30 day return warranty if I run into issues (including performance, I've been screwed by low-performing SSDs before) and if I don't I'll just toss it if/when it dies, for $50 it wouldn't be worth shipping back to China anyway at the shipping rates we pay here. I'll also be backing it up regularly as I do everything else regardless of the brand.

It's no different from a $30 power bank, a $25 set of Bluetooth speakers or anything else at the low end that Chinese companies have gotten surprisingly good at designing and manufacturing lately. Sure, you can pay more for a reputable company with a long history (probably not entirely positive, either, there are a lot of folks who won't buy Samsung for various reasons) that has its products manufactured in a similar plant to the ones the Chinese brands use, but there's now an increasingly viable market below that point where you can almost trust you won't get screwed. I won't say we're entirely there yet but it's way more on my radar than it was even 6 months ago and it will only get better. The generic warnings like these will only become less necessary and relevant as time goes on, IMO, as companies like Anker are now even starting to populate shelves at limited supply retailers like Costco who are pretty picky about who they'll front.

And yes, there are obviously other aspects to consider when supporting the Chinese economy but until the name brand companies stop manufacturing in the same Chinese facilities and padding their prices with their perceived name value this will continue. I'm not sure that paying the Chinese companies directly is any worse than indirectly.

My only nitpick - if you consider this price "decent" what would you consider a better price that's currently available for purchase? I realize you just copied your earlier post but that's somewhat unfair to this product which is coming in significantly cheaper than the earlier one from an (IMO) equivalently non-top-tier brand.
Except a powerbank or BT speaker isn't mission critical, redo a O/S drive if it die is at least a couple hours job.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13200 posts
4548 upvotes
all other size are also on sale

1 TB
Price: CDN$ 115.99

120gb
Deal Price: CDN$ 21.24

256GB
Deal Price: CDN$ 33.99

if i didn't buy a bunch of kingdians a few weeks back, would definitely jump on the 120gbs
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2737 posts
2041 upvotes
Calgary
FWIW, Fakespot rates the reviews a “C”.

How are reviewers describing this item?
great, good, old, fast and far.
Our engine has profiled the reviewer patterns and has determined that there may be deception involved.
Our engine has determined that the review content quality is low.
Our engine has analyzed and discovered that 68.6% of the reviews are reliable.
This product had a total of 136 reviews as of our last analysis date on Jul 14 2020.
Oct 1, 2017
324 posts
410 upvotes
I use a 128gb one as a docker and plex install drive for my NAS to keep spinning disk activity down. No complaints so far.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2003
1006 posts
242 upvotes
Mississauga
RaySmith wrote: IMO, as companies like Anker are now even starting to populate shelves at limited supply retailers like Costco who are pretty picky about who they'll front.
Anker is way better. I can only speculate on how they can afford to do it, but their support is top notch, and they do stand by all their products for the warranty periods with direct replacements. My guess is usually because they're selling cheaper products they're easier to replace. Not all Chinese brands are equal. I'm guessing you get what you pay for, as Anker actually isn't that cheap.

According to this post, Torosus is owned by Kingdian: https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanad ... 3/fdvqwk8/

According to this review, Kingdian ignores the warranty requests: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/customer-revie ... B076CGQ54Y

Or this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... UWT7WRL2X8
RaySmith wrote: if you consider this price "decent" what would you consider a better price that's currently available for purchase?
Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I am saying it is decent, as in good price.
Last edited by intx on Jul 14th, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 8, 2014
591 posts
1974 upvotes
I saw this last night but there is zero mention of any warranty so I bought the silicon power equivalent for $67.99. 3yr warranty compared to zero for $16 extra.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2003
1006 posts
242 upvotes
Mississauga
prohomy wrote: I saw this last night but there is zero mention of any warranty so I bought the silicon power equivalent for $67.99. 3yr warranty compared to zero for $16 extra.
I just noticed, you are right. They removed the 3 year warranty from the specs (if you search the Q/A, a customer implied they used to say it). I think that's them basically implying it doesn't have any.
Apr 21, 2020
149 posts
160 upvotes
i have a lot of ssd,i never try this cheap one,

it is not worth trying because how much you pay decides what you get

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)