Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Torosus 480GB SATA Internal SSD - $51.84 NO TAX (Prime One-Day)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2020 5:58 am
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16829 posts
3344 upvotes
GTA
i wonder how it can be slower than a mechanical drive??
Amazon review wrote: Speed is slower than 7200RPM 6Gb/s mechanical hard drive
TOROUS 137 User benchmarks, average bench 116%, my test TOROUS only 101%
KingDian S280 147%, ADATA SU655 143%, SP A58 127%
Feb 7, 2020
173 posts
150 upvotes
doctor80 wrote: I'm not that rich to buy cheap
So true!
“You'd be surprised how expensive it costs to look this cheap.”
― Steven Tyler
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5719 posts
1424 upvotes
sexyj wrote: all other size are also on sale

1 TB
Price: CDN$ 115.99

120gb
Deal Price: CDN$ 21.24

256GB
Deal Price: CDN$ 33.99

if i didn't buy a bunch of kingdians a few weeks back, would definitely jump on the 120gbs
What do you think of the Kingdians? Was thinking of getting a 512GB m.2 for $74.99 no tax.

formerly
Public Mobile $40 / 15GB

formerly
Fido $45 / 14GB (5 @ 5 months, 5 @ 18 months)
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
actng wrote: i wonder how it can be slower than a mechanical drive??
3D TLC or QLC SSDs are only faster than hard drives when caching is available. In normal use that isn't a problem but it is if you're copying a lot of data to the drive, the write speed will be much slower than you'd expect after the cache runs out.

The original SLC SSDs would maintain relatively high speeds even after caching was no longer being used but they were a LOT more expensive to manufacture and I'm not aware of any consumer brands that are still using SLC.

The biggest benefit of SSDs in general use isn't sequential read and write speeds, despite most of the marketing pushing those numbers. It's the very low seek speeds compared to physical hard drives that make the difference in feel (IOPS, basically), individual tasks happen faster (booting, opening an application) and you can do multiple things simultaneously without much performance impact whereas a hard drive would bottleneck both.
Last edited by RaySmith on Jul 16th, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
Just an update, I have the drive installed and tested, I've updated the original post with my CystalDiskMark results as well as my own file copy test and TLDR the drive is surprisingly fast and seems to have a 16GB or larger cache (unsure if DRAM or SLC or something else). In normal use this thing should be competitive with most or all SATA/600 SSDs which is somewhat incredible based on the price.

Short of the thing setting fire to my notebook over the next 28 or so days this will be a keeper.
Last edited by RaySmith on Jul 16th, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16829 posts
3344 upvotes
GTA
RaySmith wrote: Just an update, I have the drive installed and tested, I've updated the original post with my CystalDiskMark results as well as my own file copy test and TLDR the drive is surprisingly fast and seems to have a 16GB or so DRAM cache. In normal use this thing should be competitive with most or all SATA/600 SSDs which is somewhat incredible based on the price.

Short of the thing setting fire to my notebook over the next 28 or so days this will be a keeper.
so this is a decent product?
i don't know how you could test for capacity though
i'm worried it's like those SD cards that advertise xxx GBs but you end up overwriting your own data because it doesn't actually have xxx GBs?
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
actng wrote: so this is a decent product?
i don't know how you could test for capacity though
i'm worried it's like those SD cards that advertise xxx GBs but you end up overwriting your own data because it doesn't actually have xxx GBs?
Nothing but good so far. In terms of capacity I still have to do that, plan is to copy over a bunch of 30GB archive files and then decompress each of them individually to ensure all of the archives are intact, if any overwriting is going on it will break the earlier ones. That should be a good indicator. I also did a full rather than a quick format although that won't have detected a good redirection job. Still, it's a positive sign.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16829 posts
3344 upvotes
GTA
RaySmith wrote: Nothing but good so far. In terms of capacity I still have to do that, plan is to copy over a bunch of 30GB archive files and then decompress each of them individually to ensure all of the archives are intact, if any overwriting is going on it will break the earlier ones. That should be a good indicator. I also did a full rather than a quick format although that won't have detected a good redirection job. Still, it's a positive sign.
i ordered one based on your posts. didn't get the $51 deal but $60. do we know why no tax?
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
actng wrote: i ordered one based on your posts. didn't get the $51 deal but $60. do we know why no tax?
Capacity has been confirmed, I tested archives in each quarter of the drive and all decompressed correctly. I'm calling it a win, just hope yours performs similarly, unit variability is the only thing I can't account for at this point.

No idea, except that the sell price presumably includes the tax in this case and in the case of some other items (Adata SSDs, for instance).
Mar 18, 2008
316 posts
209 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Looks like the drives are rebranded sunbow ones.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
3534 posts
653 upvotes
OP can you give a report about this drive?
Is it still working?
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
20530 posts
5862 upvotes
Scarberia
anyone still using this 480gb drive and its still working lol? i don't want it to die in 2months like some other rders....btw its still at this price today
Black (480GB)
Brand: TOROSUS
4.4 out of 5 stars 368 ratings | 23 answered questions
Price: CDN$ 60.59
Deal Price: CDN$ 50.99 FREE One-Day
You Save: CDN$ 9.60 (16%)
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>