Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

TOROSUS SSD on sale 60GB $15.29 128GB $21.24 and more

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2020 9:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
4758 posts
5006 upvotes
GTA

[Amazon.ca] TOROSUS SSD on sale 60GB $15.29 128GB $21.24 and more

Torosus SSD's are back on sale. Here is the previous expired thread

amazon-ca-torous-2-5-7mm-sata-iii-6gb-s ... 4-2405472/

I've purchased a 60GB from the previous sale and just bought a 128GB. My 60GB still works fine, and although these are probably DRAM-less they perform well and are a great value if you just need a cheap SSD to run something basic.
If you want a safe and reliable drive then this is probably a riskier purchase than a reliable Samsung EVO. If you just need a cheap SSD to run games off, or for an RPi or project system, this will do fine.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07RQWZ94Q/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

60GB is $15.29
128GB is $21.24
1TB is $99.44
240GB is $34.84

And other sizes available.
c'mon get happy!
109 replies
Newbie
User avatar
Feb 20, 2019
88 posts
158 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: If you want a safe and reliable drive then this is probably a riskier purchase than a reliable Samsung EVO.
Cannot emphasize this enough. My nephew bought some dogfish (more like dogsh** am I right?) SSD that broke after 2 months.

For a few bucks more, you can get much more reliable brands, at least in the 120GB-ish range.

For instance, these have DRAM too:

https://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-Memory-PB ... B07574MTR4
https://www.amazon.ca/ADATA-SU655-Inter ... 07DNLY1R2/
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 7, 2007
6794 posts
1364 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
For sure get a brand name one for the price of a coffee over these no-name ones.

Now if the 1TB can go down to $70 then I might take the risk.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21777 posts
26338 upvotes
DRAM? I'll look into it.

Automatic assumption echoes OP, probably none, or pseudo-DRAM.
.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 2, 2001
4786 posts
2235 upvotes
GTA
Makes your wonder just how overpriced those 128gb usb drives are when an ssd costs the same.
.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
4758 posts
5006 upvotes
GTA
shabby wrote: Makes your wonder just how overpriced those 128gb usb drives are when an ssd costs the same.
Well if you get a reliable brand name then I think it's worth that price for a USB stick. You are also paying for portability and ease of use. I've had a lot of USB sticks crap out on me and in many ways that can be worse than an SSD.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 2, 2017
1191 posts
2223 upvotes
s'toon
Really nice price to upgrade an immortal Thinkpad T61 for youtube.
$15 for 60gb vs. buying a 320gb hdd off kijiji for $20.

And yes I agree, DO NOT store any important files in cheap drives (not sure if people still do this when there's a cloud).
Last edited by Seanne on Oct 27th, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Dec 5, 2004
481 posts
570 upvotes
Western Digital green had the 120gb not to long ago in the $30 range.

I would suspect these KingDian/dogbone/Topgun/Torosus brands are geared towards selling your old gear on Kijiji with SSD.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 2, 2017
1191 posts
2223 upvotes
s'toon
ttiger wrote: Western Digital green had the 120gb not to long ago in the $30 range.

I would suspect these KingDian/dogbone/Topgun/Torosus brands are geared towards selling your old gear on Kijiji with SSD.
currently also $27 for 120gb Patriot and Adata -both of which I never had troubles with thus far.
https://www.amazon.ca/ADATA-SU655-Inter ... 79de2d236f
Sr. Member
Nov 23, 2004
954 posts
1692 upvotes
Ontario
AgedOne wrote: Cannot emphasize this enough. My nephew bought some dogfish (more like dogsh** am I right?) SSD that broke after 2 months.

For a few bucks more, you can get much more reliable brands, at least in the 120GB-ish range.

For instance, these have DRAM too:

https://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-Memory-PB ... B07574MTR4
https://www.amazon.ca/ADATA-SU655-Inter ... 07DNLY1R2/
Crazy how much name brand ones have dropped in price for the lower capacities since I last bought! Been years since I needed an SSD for any systems, but darn, they weren't this cheap only 2 years ago even. Tempting to upgrade a few systems that have smaller ones (home server, Pi, etc.)
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
4758 posts
5006 upvotes
GTA
AgedOne wrote: Cannot emphasize this enough. My nephew bought some dogfish (more like dogsh** am I right?) SSD that broke after 2 months.

For a few bucks more, you can get much more reliable brands, at least in the 120GB-ish range.

For instance, these have DRAM too:

https://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-Memory-PB ... B07574MTR4
https://www.amazon.ca/ADATA-SU655-Inter ... 07DNLY1R2/
I'm going to suggest that if reliability is a concern, and if your nephew purchased a Patriot or ADATA for crucial operations, they should switch to a Samsung EVO.
Sure the Patriot and Adata are slightly better for the price in comparison to TORSORUSUSUS, but the reliability of an EVO (and performance) can't compare. I have yet to have a problem with any Samsung SSD's. My main system has a Crucial MX500 as storage right now, and I'm just hoping I didn't make a mistake in not paying more. But since it's not my boot drive, I'm not as concerned.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
4758 posts
5006 upvotes
GTA
mindabsence wrote: Crazy how much name brand ones have dropped in price for the lower capacities since I last bought! Been years since I needed an SSD for any systems, but darn, they weren't this cheap only 2 years ago even. Tempting to upgrade a few systems that have smaller ones (home server, Pi, etc.)
SSD prices have dropped dramatically recently, this is the perfect time to upgrade!
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 2, 2017
1191 posts
2223 upvotes
s'toon
BernardRyder wrote: I'm going to suggest that if reliability is a concern, and if your nephew purchased a Patriot or ADATA for crucial operations, they should switch to a Samsung EVO.
Sure the Patriot and Adata are slightly better for the price in comparison to TORSORUSUSUS, but the reliability of an EVO (and performance) can't compare. I have yet to have a problem with any Samsung SSD's. My main system has a Crucial MX500 as storage right now, and I'm just hoping I didn't make a mistake in not paying more. But since it's not my boot drive, I'm not as concerned.
Exactly. This post shouldn't be downvoted because it is a cheaper unknown brand.
If you are going to spend $150 for a 1TB SSD anyway, of course, go for the EVO no question.

If you use the cloud regularly like most people WFH and needs only around 120GB, then ADATA, Crucial, etc. would be sufficient.

If you are a cheapo and have dozens of 10 year old laptops, then this $15 SSD is the way to go, anything higher is an overkill for a 50$ old laptop.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1338 posts
1452 upvotes
number8888 wrote: For sure get a brand name one for the price of a coffee over these no-name ones.

Now if the 1TB can go down to $70 then I might take the risk.
1TB 2.5" mechanical drives are still selling for $70 bare, enclosed external about $80 ... so $100 for 1TB SSD is not unreasonable at the moment.

Might as well say 1TB mechanical drive only worth $50 ...
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1463 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
AgedOne wrote: Cannot emphasize this enough. My nephew bought some dogfish (more like dogsh** am I right?) SSD that broke after 2 months.

For a few bucks more, you can get much more reliable brands, at least in the 120GB-ish range.

For instance, these have DRAM too:

https://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-Memory-PB ... B07574MTR4
https://www.amazon.ca/ADATA-SU655-Inter ... 07DNLY1R2/
hmmm...bought Crucial BX500 480GB last week when it was on sale for $65, should I return it and buy the ADATA instead?
Never owned a ADATA drive before, are they reliable?

https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-BX500-240 ... r=8-4&th=1
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 2, 2017
1191 posts
2223 upvotes
s'toon
I think they're on par quality wise. But return for 5 bux? Not sure about that.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2007
1141 posts
866 upvotes
Seanne wrote: Exactly. This post shouldn't be downvoted because it is a cheaper unknown brand.
I disagree with your logic so much that I just downvoted this because of it. Products like this aren't worth buying, you'll buy it and then it will sit around or you'll use it and get fed up and it ends up in a landfill. Disposable junk isn't worth buying.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 2, 2017
1191 posts
2223 upvotes
s'toon
Flunk wrote: I disagree with your logic so much that I just downvoted this because of it. Products like this aren't worth buying, you'll buy it and then it will sit around or you'll use it and get fed up and it ends up in a landfill. Disposable junk isn't worth buying.
Products like what? Cheap and unknown? Are you even sure this brand is junk because it is unknown?

Top