Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

TOROSUS SSD on sale 60GB $15.29 128GB $21.24 and more

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2020 9:55 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
frugal69 wrote: your point acknowledged. you do not like off brand SSDs.

my point is that would rather pay $70 for a mechanical drive rather than $100 for no name ssd? no name SSD > mechanical drive - speed and reliability

point being:

brand name SSD > no name SSD > mechanical drive... and this is priced as it should, no?
no name SSD > mechanical drive IF IT WORKS

This is the risk we are taking by buying an off-brand SSD. If it stops working in half a year than a mechanical drive is infinitely better. Funny thing is that you brought up reliability as a pro on these things since that's the most dubious factor about them.

I love off-brand stuff just fine, as long as it works within expectations. If it's cheap enough I don't mind throwing some money at it to experiment. $100/1TB is not yet cheap enough IMO.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1561 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Well you can't trust Amazon reviews. Better to look at the negative reviews. You see people talking about failure about a few months.
I guess the reviews for Crucial, ADATA, Kingston, Western Digital and Silicon Power, etc are not trustworthy reviews either.
And RFD users are the most reliable source !!!
carmaster wrote: This is concerning:

SSD failed after 6 months of use. There's no website/contact information on the packaging on how to claim warranty. I had to do a Google only to find out it's not under the TOROSUS website and that the name TOROSUS is just a sister company under a larger electronics chain. I had to message the seller directly through Amazon to find a way to send the SSD back.
Now this is where it gets frustrating. In order for me to claim a replacement SSD under warranty I have to send the SSD back to their warehouse in China, AT MY OWN EXPENSE. For the past 4 years, I've always bought Silicon Power and have never had an issue. This is the first and last time I will ever buy a TOROSUS product. see less
This is one bad review out of 300+ ... if there were more, the rating would not be 4.4/5 ... so I take that as a bad one offs...

Do you know which manufacturer pays RMA shipping after 6-months. Besides, a lot of people rather discard the product rather than do an RMA because the shipping costs are so high - regardless of brand of SSD ... I have 6 different brands of SSDs and none of them have failed so far (knock on wood) ... so I assume they're pretty reliable overall... just like DDR RAM - there are no moving parts. Silicon in general is quite reliable. I'd do a thorough scan disk if I was worried about the quality though ... it should give a good indication of the bad blocks (too many and it's a bad wafer) ...
Sep 6, 2009
995 posts
2173 upvotes
frugal69 wrote: Wow, a lot of haters on RFD ... 42% downvote for Bad Product/Service. Amazon buyers voted a 4.4/5 out of 300+ reviews ...

Is Amazon or RFD out of touch?
I think it may be you who is out of touch with fake reviews reality on Amazon? There are a lot of online documentaries and articles about this.
Oct 2, 2001
452 posts
78 upvotes
Mont-Tremblant
I purchased a 240gb last sale. The drive stopped working 48hr after the installation. Will not buy again.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1561 upvotes
restoreDVD wrote: I think it may be you who is out of touch with fake reviews reality on Amazon? There are a lot of online documentaries and articles about this.
frugal69 wrote: I guess the reviews for Crucial, ADATA, Kingston, Western Digital and Silicon Power, etc are not trustworthy reviews either.

Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1561 upvotes
stooker wrote: I purchased a 240gb last sale. The drive stopped working 48hr after the installation. Will not buy again.
Please post this review on Amazon... it will bring the rating of 4.4/5 down !!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3097 posts
2399 upvotes
Seanne wrote:
And yes I agree, DO NOT store any important files in cheap drives (not sure if people still do this when there's a cloud).
You mean you are not sure why people don’t like to store their important files on « other people’s computers »(aka cloud)?
Hmm, I wonder why that may be...
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Sep 6, 2009
995 posts
2173 upvotes
frugal69 wrote: I guess the reviews for Crucial, ADATA, Kingston, Western Digital and Silicon Power, etc are not trustworthy reviews either.
I am not in a position to say whether those reviews (for ADTA, WD, etc...) are trustworthy or not. All I am saying is that there are a lot of work already done to prove that many of the Amazon reviews are fakes.

I think personally I would look for professional review articles.
Sep 6, 2009
995 posts
2173 upvotes
frugal69 wrote: Please post this review on Amazon... it will bring the rating of 4.4/5 down !!!!!!!
This is exactly what fake reviews are trying to achieve. By overwhelming the real negative ones.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
Good for Google TV chromecast!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1766 posts
3653 upvotes
nightwalker wrote: hmmm...bought Crucial BX500 480GB last week when it was on sale for $65, should I return it and buy the ADATA instead?
Never owned a ADATA drive before, are they reliable?

https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-BX500-240 ... r=8-4&th=1
Ordered 2 $15 60gb for slow ThinkPads to test. At this price really im paying to satisfy my curiosty and the experiece for the future rather than the physical ssds.
Dec 30, 2018
58 posts
46 upvotes
Bought the "NEW" 480gb for $44 last time it was on lightning deal, not sure what the difference between regular 480 is.

Currently being used to ONLY store my games and so far, no complaints. Like the others have said, prob shouldn't store critical files that you care about / use as a boot drive.
Did some other testing and I believe this does have DRAM. From the previous thread, someone was saying that some won't have DRAM so maybe YMMV?

Left is the Torosus, right is my samsung 850 evo (not sure if fullness of drive matters with these tests, will rerun if anyone cares b/c rn it's ~50% full)
Images
  • comparison.png
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3320 posts
1214 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
Using the "new" 480gb as the boot drive for a HTPC that I have. No issues in the month or so that I have been using it. I don't store anything important on it, so no real loss if it craps out.
Oct 31, 2010
587 posts
1308 upvotes
Montreal
I bought the 128GB from the last sale. Under CrystalDiskInfo, it identifies itself as a generic "SATA3 128GB SSD 128.0GB" name and I think the temperature is hard coded; it never changes and reports 40 degrees C when my other SSDs and HDD are ~10 degrees cooler in the same case.

Once it dies, I'll report back how long it lasted to discourage others in contributing to e-waste like this.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
fpenguin wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B08JXH26H ... UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if i’d risk but here you go
Doesn't seems like that are SSDs. Literately said HDD in the title and description.

It's kinda weird though since the form factor looks to be NGFF/NVME based, but the transfer speed is nowhere close. Got my interest at least.
External Hard Drive 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive Slim USB 3.0 Hard Drive External Shockproof HDD Compatible with PC, Laptop and Mac

If you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact us by email, we will give you the most satisfactory solution.1-Year manufacturer warranty with free technical support service.

Feature:
➊ Upgraded USB3.1 External Hard Drive
Here is an upgraded Type-C/USB3.1 HDD.Type-C port allows blind insertion on both sides.Upgraded external hard drive ensures more durability.

➋ Speed up to 5.0 Gbit/s
External hard drive brings fast transmission speed up to 100MB/S.

➌ Ultra Slim and Portable
Ultra slim pocket-sized body for easy transport. Suitable for travel, business trips, easy to carry.

➍ Plug & Play
Plug and play without software to install .

➎ Shockproof
Shockproof Smart External Hard Drive bring you a great experience

➏ Strong Compatibility
Widely compatible with 99% of PC systems.( Apple MAC, WIN7/8/8.1/10, Android and other systems)

➐Large Capability
Large capability to back up massive amounts of data with ease. Hard Drive provides enough room for all your favorite PS4 games and xbox one.

Package Included:

* 1x External Hard Drive

* 1x USB C Cable
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8663 upvotes
GTA
number8888 wrote: Doesn't seems like that are SSDs. Literately said HDD in the title and description.

It's kinda weird though since the form factor looks to be NGFF/NVME based, but the transfer speed is nowhere close. Got my interest at least.
This came up in the computer forum a while back, I think it's an NVME in a housing running at USB3 speeds? Probably something fishy about it hardware-wise, but if you buy one let us know how it goes.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
4214 posts
5060 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Bought this Kingston 240GB SSD for $39.99 for an old laptop I'm planning to sell, for those who'd rather have a "brand" name even though Kingston's "quality" is debatable Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Happy Koodo Public Mobile and Videotron Fizz customer :-)
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
FWIW, I was in Canada Computers recently looking at parts for a DIY build, and the clerk recommended these drives. He said they like them as they "just work". I was doubtful as they really are just a little cheaper than Samsung or WD drives, so I didn't get one, but he seemed pretty confident in them.
Beep\Bop\Boop