Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch Unmanaged (TL-SG1008D) for $19.99

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2020 7:11 pm
[OP]
Jan 24, 2013
839 posts
3522 upvotes
MILTON

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch Unmanaged (TL-SG1008D) for $19.99

TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch | Ethernet Splitter | Plug-and-Play | Traffic Optimization | Unmanaged (TL-SG1008D)
  • PLUG-AND-PLAY - Easy setup with no configuration or no software needed
  • ETHERNET SPLITTER - Connectivity to your router or modem for additional wired connections (laptop, gaming console, printer, etc)
  • 8 Ports GIGABIT ETHERNET - 8 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit auto-negotiation RJ45 ports greatly expand network capacity
  • COST EFFECTIVE - Fanless Quiet Design, Desktop design
  • RELIABLE - IEEE 802. 3x flow control provides reliable data transfer
  • UP to 80% Power Saving - Automatically adjusts power consumption according to the link status and cable length
  • AUTO-NEGOTIATION - Supports Auto-MDI/MDIX, eliminating the need for crossover cables
  • 2-YEAR and unlimited 24/7 technical support for FREE
49 replies
Sep 20, 2007
854 posts
309 upvotes
GVRD
I just got mine delivered today, to replace D-Link 8 port switch that was having issue with TP-Link Deco M5 (Back haul connection).
It's a pretty good deal for 8 port gigabit switch.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1471 posts
485 upvotes
Calgary
Perfect timing, ordered the metal casing one.
There's 16.9Gbps of switching capacity and it handles 16KB jumbo frames according to SNB.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2341 posts
321 upvotes
Burnaby
good deal
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Nov 26, 2014
156 posts
77 upvotes
Sherwood Park, AB
Is there a difference between metal and plastic unit other than one metal and the others plastic?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2052 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
I bought this switch for 24.99 in lte 2018. It has been working and performing flawlessly since.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3893 posts
824 upvotes
Mississauga
elscorcho wrote: Is there a difference between metal and plastic unit other than one metal and the others plastic?
Power source orientation and led indicator differences too.
Jan 21, 2003
293 posts
83 upvotes
Edmonton
wing0 wrote: Power source orientation and led indicator differences too.
It also looks to me like the metal unit has a couple additional features like IGMP sniffing and better QoS management?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1848 posts
716 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
You would think by now these would be obsolete with almost everything supporting wireless. But I find the reverse is true. New days I try to avoid using my router as a switch, so I can reboot the router without bring down computer to computer connections. So that means more need to wire clients, and more demand for ports. 8 ports is simply not enough...
Feb 24, 2011
24 posts
1 upvote
Any difference between the 5 ports (TL-SG105) vs the 8 ports metal one (TL-SG108) besides 3 more ports?
Last edited by jackstrap on Mar 9th, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14756 posts
2741 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
elscorcho wrote: Is there a difference between metal and plastic unit other than one metal and the others plastic?
Lifetime warranty with metal case.
Oct 24, 2012
293 posts
230 upvotes
Edmonton
Bought a metal one for 5$ more for the lifetime warranty and additional features of self management.
Jul 20, 2011
249 posts
248 upvotes
NORTH YORK
in addition to IGMP and qoS features the metal case one 5-year warranty and lifetime technical support, plastic one 2-year. metal one has better build quality.
Nov 23, 2004
590 posts
908 upvotes
Ontario
facebook259 wrote: You would think by now these would be obsolete with almost everything supporting wireless. But I find the reverse is true. New days I try to avoid using my router as a switch, so I can reboot the router without bring down computer to computer connections. So that means more need to wire clients, and more demand for ports. 8 ports is simply not enough...
Everything being wireless is becoming the problem. It's mighty convenient, but unless you're running a high quality mesh system or several access points (which probably 95% of home owners aren't), it's also causing crazy crowded WiFi which introduces all sorts of problems. I have 5 WiFi cameras which are only running on Wifi because I'm not running wires until the weather is warmer, and with all five cameras powered up and streaming HD video to my NVR, the WiFi is over-utilized to the point where all my WiFi devices start playing hot-potato with their connections (dropping offline, online, offline, online, etc.). These 5 cameras share the WiFi with over 25 other WiFi devices in our home too, the vast majority of which are smart home or media related devices. The access point is a good quality Ubiquiti one, but it's still just way too much constant traffic over 2.4ghz (since so few smart home or cameras support 5ghz it seems) and it's over saturating. In this case, rather than adding a second or third AP to share the load, I already have plans to run wires to most places anyway, including exterior runs for cameras.

Thus, I'm driven running wires and trying to limit Wifi as much as I can. As an IT worker this was my plan all along anyway, but the winter weather has held me up slightly!

That being said, non-technical users aren't thinking of this. They're just buying more and more smart home stuff, wifi cameras, wifi doorbells, etc. and likely not connecting the dots when wifi gets super slow, or they start having issues.