• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2021 10:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2410 posts
513 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link AC1750 (EAP245 V3) $89.99

: update, as other point out that BB third party charges $10 for shipping and not worth.

It is cheaper and more reliable from Thesource.ca or Amazon.ca ($89.99)
Get it from thesource.ca or Amazon.ca instead.

I have been eyeing on this Access point for awhile and still on the fence. I want to get something that have strong signal and not having to swap it out in a short period of time. This seems to be it but lack of WIFI 6.

Main Features:

- Dual band: simultaneous 450Mbps on 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps on 5GHz totals 1750Mbps Wi-Fi speeds

- Power: supports 802.3af/at PoE or 48V passive PoE for power supply

- Advanced technology: equipped with wave 2 technology (MU-MIMO, beamforming, band Steering, Airtime Fairness, seamless roaming), eap245_v3 covers wide range and uninterrupted connection

- Free Software controller: robust software controller without license fees, guest FB portal, centralized management, and more

- Omada support: Omada cloud centralized management system is a free support app provided by TP-Link. Conveniently access cloud service to control your network in real-time at anywhere you want with optional OC200 cloud controller
Last edited by TomRFD on Feb 5th, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: updated title
King of the farm
107 replies
Apr 17, 2008
54 posts
54 upvotes
I had two of those (from Amazon now new regular price - 90$) for four months now and love them.

I have one in the basement on a shelf, pointing up. and another on the second floor, also on a shelf pointing up, and i get excellent coverage/speed everywhere in the house now. I'm also running the Omada Controler on my docker server for the roaming.

I too was not sure if I should wait for Wifi 6 AP, but decided that Wifi 6 won't get my any faster speed, as my bottleneck is my ISP, not my access points.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1212 posts
1222 upvotes
Markham, ON
Spend $6 more and get it directly from Amazon.
FIDO, Freedom Mobile, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2410 posts
513 upvotes
Thanks you all for the recommendations. I didn't know about the shipping charges.
So this threads is useless. :) Will order from Amazon.

:Update, That's why I have been refrain from posting any new deals for such long time due to the downvote.
King of the farm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2410 posts
513 upvotes
Mod: Please delete this thread.
King of the farm
Feb 24, 2016
31 posts
3 upvotes
Hey, is there way I can plug the controller into my existing router and then configure these access points through-out the home however still using my existing wireless network built into the router?
Jul 27, 2017
178 posts
212 upvotes
Griim wrote: I too was not sure if I should wait for Wifi 6 AP, but decided that Wifi 6 won't get my any faster speed, as my bottleneck is my ISP, not my access points.
Rational. Don't fall for that Wifi 6 marketing speak.
Dec 13, 2006
586 posts
264 upvotes
I looked for review on this unit and some complain where about not having smart connect feature.

However I see Band steerimg and other feature..

Does if offer something similar to customer grade wifi router where i can have 2.4 and 5 ghz on same ssid and the router find the beat one?
Jan 7, 2004
283 posts
5 upvotes
Burnaby
CarloC038 wrote: Hey, is there way I can plug the controller into my existing router and then configure these access points through-out the home however still using my existing wireless network built into the router?
Yes, best with a different SSID.

You can use them as stand alone access points or if you wanted to have advanced features such as roaming between EAP245s then you need to run the Omada software on a PC.
Dec 29, 2016
166 posts
13 upvotes
I used Staples to price beat it and use a Staples coupon back in Dec. Great AP and easy to setup.

Anyone have this with a switch and controller? Looking to expand and wondering what’s best.
Oct 13, 2018
360 posts
430 upvotes
Fardashian wrote: I used Staples to price beat it and use a Staples coupon back in Dec. Great AP and easy to setup.

Anyone have this with a switch and controller? Looking to expand and wondering what’s best.
I have it with Switch and Gateway is on the way from the vendor. Software Controller works great. The entire Omada gear works better than my previous Unifi gear
Images
  • Screenshot_20210205-124401__01.jpg
Last edited by TusharN30757 on Feb 5th, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 29, 2016
166 posts
13 upvotes
TusharN30757 wrote: I have it with Switch and gateway is on the way from the vendor. Software Controller works great. The entire omada gear better than my previous unifi gear
Is that an Omada switch too? Or it can be any switch?

Also, do I need the switch if I have two or more of these, or does roaming work by just configuring both EAPs to have the same SSID?
Oct 13, 2018
360 posts
430 upvotes
Fardashian wrote: Is that an Omada switch too? Or it can be any switch?

Also, do I need the switch if I have two or more of these, or does roaming work by just configuring both EAPs to have the same SSID?
You can use another Switch but won't be able to manage it from TPLINK controller. Mine is Omada switch SG2008P
Yes you can setup all EAP with same SSID. I am not using Fast Roaming as it causes issues with some client unable to handshake with other EAPs properly. I leave it off and let the client device decide which EAP it wants to connect to and that works great

You dont need a switch two setup same SSID. It works fine in standalone mode. It doesn't even need to be on the controller and can be added as individual standalone devices on the Omada app
Last edited by TusharN30757 on Feb 5th, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 29, 2016
166 posts
13 upvotes
TusharN30757 wrote: You can use another Switch but won't be able to manage it from TPLINK controller. Mine is Omada switch SG2008P
Yes you can setup all EAP with same SSID. I am not using Fast Roaming as it causes issues with some client unable to handshake with other EAPs properly. I leave it off and let the client device which EAP it wants to connect to, works better.
Ok newbie question then, why have the switch+controller? Just easier to manage/configure three APs? The only reason I'm considering the switch is because I'm going from one to two APs and would like fast roaming (I think...)
Oct 13, 2018
360 posts
430 upvotes
Fardashian wrote: Ok newbie question then, why have the switch+controller? Just easier to manage/configure three APs? The only reason I'm considering the switch is because I'm going from one to two APs and would like fast roaming (I think...)
That's a broad question and I am unsure if I can help you get an understanding of all of it but few things I can tell you.

1) You need a Switch to centralize your ethernet cabling and have more ports available if your modem doesn't have enough

2) Settings up VLAN

3) POE switch is needed to power on Access points aka EAPs or IP Cameras without the need to have power injector used.

Use case is different per user so unsure how it applies to you. In all you don't need switch if all you want to do setup EAP and have a wired backhaul already available for both EAPs
Last edited by TusharN30757 on Feb 5th, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 29, 2016
166 posts
13 upvotes
TusharN30757 wrote: That's a broad question and I am unsure if I can help you get an understanding of all of it but few things I can tell you.

1) You need a Switch to centralize your ethernet cabling and have more ports available if your modem doesn't have enough

2) Settings up VLAN

3) POE switch is needed to power on Access points aka EAPs or IP Cameras without the need to have power injector used.

Use case is different per user so unsure how it applies to you. In all you don't need switch if all you want to do setup EAP and have a wired backhaul already available for both EAPs
Understood, thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
1460 posts
1871 upvotes
Atlantic
Waiting on the EAP620 or EAP660 for Wifi6!

Actually I think you can backorder it through Grand and Toy, PC-Canada, DirectDial and a few other retailers. Not that hard to find but still relatively pricey.
Oct 13, 2018
360 posts
430 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote: Waiting on the EAP620 or EAP660 for Wifi6!

Actually I think you can backorder it through Grand and Toy, PC-Canada, DirectDial and a few other retailers. Not that hard to find but still relatively pricey.
.I don't think they are even available to back order in their website. Atleast it doesn't show up when am trying to access it. But I bet they are going to be pricey