[Amazon.ca] TP-Link AC1750 Wireless AP (EAP245 v3) - $79.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2021 9:22 pm
[OP]
Oct 26, 2012
949 posts
1363 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link AC1750 Wireless AP (EAP245 v3) - $79.99

I have one of these and it's really good. Picked up a second for another location.

All time low according to camelx3.
5 replies
Jul 13, 2016
137 posts
208 upvotes
They don't have the best track record in terms of patching vulnerabilities, but their track record is a lot better than some of their competitors. I mean definitely don't buy a D-Link router, it will probably have never-patched vulns from day 1.

For the wired and wireless throughput, number of clients, basic features, etc. the things perform extremely well for the price.

If you expect them to handle 50 wireless clients, and all clients to have full speed, in a 4 bedroom apartment with 15 other interfering networks, well no matter what you spend your $79.99 on you're going to be disappointed.
Apr 11, 2003
688 posts
162 upvotes
Edmonton
soupmaster666 wrote: They don't have the best track record in terms of patching vulnerabilities, but their track record is a lot better than some of their competitors. I mean definitely don't buy a D-Link router, it will probably have never-patched vulns from day 1.

For the wired and wireless throughput, number of clients, basic features, etc. the things perform extremely well for the price.

If you expect them to handle 50 wireless clients, and all clients to have full speed, in a 4 bedroom apartment with 15 other interfering networks, well no matter what you spend your $79.99 on you're going to be disappointed.
In relation to vulnerabilities, it should be noted that this is an AP and not a router, and as such, isn't really "WAN" facing. So the vulnerabilities are limited to what's on your LAN, and within range of your Wi-Fi range. Still a concern, but considerably less broad.

As for wired throughput... again, it isn't for LAN devices, it's not a router, so you're not plugging wired items into it.

This is just for mesh (wired or wireless) AP, as standalone or using the Omada controller. (I have 4 of these in the house, zero issues, better than the Asus AIMesh I replaced, and the Google Mesh, which could not do Mesh if in AP only mode, and not as your router).
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
1211 posts
360 upvotes
Calgary
I have two of these running in my house with the an Omada stand-alone controller. Works,great. Only thing I had to do was set separate channels the 5G signal for each AP