Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link AC1900 Wireless MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router - Archer C80 $99.99 NOW $79.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 4:01 pm
[OP]
Apr 1, 2015
789 posts
445 upvotes
Scxm Free Zone

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link AC1900 Wireless MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router - Archer C80 $99.99 NOW $79.99

Relatively new product

Reviews seem good

Feel free to share your opinion! :)

EDIT: no more new ones on sale yet still there is some previously enjoyed Amazon warehouse deals.

EDIT 2: new sale price for new ones $87.98 (yes very small discount)

EDIT 3: 79.99 now.

Been using it for a few days. Superior router compared to C7
Last edited by Terabithia on Sep 22nd, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Zoomer Wireless happy new customer:
800 mins + 5G LTE data for $36 + $100 new activation credit + $50 credit

Do your part to end the monopoly. Every little bit helps.
97 replies
Nov 28, 2016
593 posts
221 upvotes
Staples title with the amazon link confused me for a bit lol
Lurking on RFD for years. Finally decided to make an account...😂
Jul 29, 2010
58 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Bought one from Amazon. Same price at Best Buy, Visions, Canada Computers (at least until Sep 10).

I didn't look for C80 (AC 1900) initially as it's fairly new, released about 6 months ago, and there are no tech reviews yet. I was looking at Archer A9 (Ac1900, 3x3 MU-MIMO, $120), and A10 (AC2600, 4x4 MU-MIMO, $150) - after comparing the features vs the new C80, I decided on the C80 as being the best value for my use cases ( it's a great deal at $70 after the discount).

- C80 has better range than A9 (4 external amplified antennas)
- good enough speeds + range: 1300 (5GHz) + 600 (2.4Ghz), gigabit WAN, LAN ports, 3x3 MU-MIMO, beamforming
- all the features I needed, none of the features I don't need: no USB port(s), no VPN server, no Alexa compatibility (the "A" models are compatible)

TP-Link compare A9 vs A10 vs C80
Jul 19, 2020
9 posts
9 upvotes
Any idea what version this one is from Amazon? DDWRT can only be installed on some versions.
Aug 30, 2019
792 posts
620 upvotes
Brampton
spennyrap wrote: Any idea what version this one is from Amazon? DDWRT can only be installed on some versions.
As per amazon review it does not support ddwrt
Jan 4, 2014
970 posts
362 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Was thinking of grabbing the c7 as it is commonly recommended for a good all around basic router. Not a techie, how does this compare?
Sep 6, 2009
434 posts
531 upvotes
ahumanbeing wrote: Was thinking of grabbing the c7 as it is commonly recommended for a good all around basic router. Not a techie, how does this compare?
The C7 can be installed with custom firmware (openwrt, ddwrt) so personally I am sticking with it. If you don't care or not intending to install 3rd party firmware, then the C80 is newer and has more features and supposedly range.
Jan 4, 2014
970 posts
362 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
restoreDVD wrote: The C7 can be installed with custom firmware (openwrt, ddwrt) so personally I am sticking with it. If you don't care or not intending to install 3rd party firmware, then the C80 is newer and has more features and supposedly range.
I'm not even sure what custom firmware can do.
Sep 6, 2009
434 posts
531 upvotes
ahumanbeing wrote: I'm not even sure what custom firmware can do.
They add features such as scheduled reboot, more powerful bandwidth control, LED control, etc... Depending what firmware you pick/have supported, it may require you to do some scripting/programming to get those features working though.

Most people don't need them.
Aug 26, 2008
859 posts
406 upvotes
Montreal
restoreDVD wrote: They add features such as scheduled reboot, more powerful bandwidth control, LED control, etc... Depending what firmware you pick/have supported, it may require you to do some scripting/programming to get those features working though.

Most people don't need them.
As well, when the vendor abandons the product, and stops releasing security updates for it, very often the custom firmware will continue to support the device.

Personally I find the tp-link devices ok, but their software is aggravating (like, not allowing to copy and paste text, and only allowing one login at a time). If you pick your hardware carefully, you can use the same custom firmware on any device, which offers decent baseline easy to use functionality, and extensibility past that if you don't mind going under the covers. You've also got a larger community to solve problems with (though problem solving can get quite technical).
[OP]
Apr 1, 2015
789 posts
445 upvotes
Scxm Free Zone
dealyou wrote: Staples title with the amazon link confused me for a bit lol
Sorry
Been ordering from Staples lately
must have been absent minded Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Zoomer Wireless happy new customer:
800 mins + 5G LTE data for $36 + $100 new activation credit + $50 credit

Do your part to end the monopoly. Every little bit helps.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1513 posts
481 upvotes
I’ll echo other peoples concerns. I wouldn’t personally buy a tplink product unless I know a third party firmware will support it. I bought one for my parents a few years back and it never even received 1 security update. If you want a secure router, buy something higher end, or something that supports third party firmwares.

As others said, this device is quite new, so support may be added later, but right now it’s a no go.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1235 posts
931 upvotes
HAMILTON
Probably 90% + of everyday users do not even know what 3rd party software ( DDWRT ) nor do they want to know.

This is a reasonable and cost effective product for this 90% + of users.
Nov 24, 2010
81 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
just brought A1900 A9 one last week for $99, have not open the box yet. Can I do a price match or something like return and reorder new version?
Jul 29, 2010
58 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
silja wrote: just brought A1900 A9 one last week for $99, have not open the box yet. Can I do a price match or something like return and reorder new version?
If you bought the A9 from Amazon - you can return it, no problem, at no cost (usually you have a 30-day window to return it). No need to wait for your return to be processed, just order the C80 while the discount is still on.

As I mentioned, the C80 is better and newer than the A9 (as long as you don't need the additional features of A9: USB port, VPN server, Alexa compatibility)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)