TP-Link AX5400 WiFi 6 Router (Archer AX73) $205.95

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2021 5:07 pm
[OP]
Sep 20, 2018
52 posts
118 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link AX5400 WiFi 6 Router (Archer AX73) $205.95

To be honest, I’m looking to start a thread on Wifi 6 Routers. I’m sick and tired of these mesh networks giving me sub-par connectivity. I found this one on sale, and it’s better reviewed big brother is also on sale.

Coupon applied at checkout
Last edited by TomRFD on May 14th, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
Thread Summary
Looking for more options? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best routers!
16 replies
Oct 27, 2009
112 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto, ON, Canada
Was $190 last week (sorry, my time machine is already lent out).

Bought one, but was disappointed that the WDS feature had been removed by TP-Link, so I gave it to my brother (WDS allows you to wirelessly bridge routers to extend your network).

He absolutely loves it and says it has solved his problems of slow/intermittent wifi and smart devices disconnecting/misbehaving.

A wifi 6 router thread would be appreciated, as I still need one for myself and could use some help sorting the good deals from the bad.
Feb 27, 2013
101 posts
132 upvotes
Québec
Wds being removed seems to be a common trend, it has been removed from Android as well, security concerns having been cited.
Jan 6, 2011
227 posts
354 upvotes
toronto
wonder how this performs compared to eero mesh..
[OP]
Sep 20, 2018
52 posts
118 upvotes
pux420 wrote: wonder how this performs compared to eero mesh..
Why do you think I started this thread?? I bought the eero mesh and had a really frustrating time. Its annoying when a device connects to a router farther away than the nearest hub.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4814 posts
2947 upvotes
OmarK90294 wrote: Why do you think I started this thread?? I bought the eero mesh and had a really frustrating time. Its annoying when a device connects to a router farther away than the nearest hub.
Wifi 6E supposedly solves a lot of mesh issues but it's possibly not the mesh but the devices. My smartphone doesn't roam the house well between nodes, but my laptops do. My work smartphone is fine, it's a wifi 6 device but my own is older.

For coverage, nothing beats mesh.
May 20, 2004
665 posts
555 upvotes
OmarK90294 wrote: Why do you think I started this thread?? I bought the eero mesh and had a really frustrating time. Its annoying when a device connects to a router farther away than the nearest hub.
So you're solving this by switching to one router? I don't see the tradeoff benefit of going to one router for a house. I have a TP link deco mesh system with no issues.
May 20, 2007
66 posts
20 upvotes
Oshawa
I'd also like some help with sorting Wifi 6 Tri-Band. I'm still rocking the Rogers black box but am being shamed by my kids ie. "Our internet sucks!". 5 people streaming online classes are punishing our Gb service. Other people on the street are saying the same. I've had techs come through but they can't do anything. We even have 3 pods but no improvement. The kids are pushing me to Bell but their prices are about $30 more a month for a lower TV package. I'm hoping a new router or Mesh system will be the right call.
Nov 22, 2018
134 posts
130 upvotes
Brampton, On
great router, I've had it for a few months now as an access point, rock solid. It's a steal to have a stable 4x4 Wifi 6 router available at this pricepoint. Hardware equivalents of the other top 2 makes are north of $300.
I believe there is even a new firmware update out, rare for a TPLINK but haven't tried it yet. (no details if it's security fixes or bug fixes or what).
Nov 22, 2018
134 posts
130 upvotes
Brampton, On
bayboy wrote: I'd also like some help with sorting Wifi 6 Tri-Band. I'm still rocking the Rogers black box but am being shamed by my kids ie. "Our internet sucks!". 5 people streaming online classes are punishing our Gb service. Other people on the street are saying the same. I've had techs come through but they can't do anything. We even have 3 pods but no improvement. The kids are pushing me to Bell but their prices are about $30 more a month for a lower TV package. I'm hoping a new router or Mesh system will be the right call.
more than likely you're congesting the Wifi on too few bands, GB service is not the problem. Live streaming requires steady bitrate and if you have 5 streams all on the same channel, Wifi needs to round-robin to them all as it can't transmit to all at the same time . 4x4 ax routers are a bit better with that with 1x1 or 2X2 clients. I'm generalizing but this should give you a start at looking to tune your environment, maybe adding wired access points running non-overlapping 40mhz channels at best.
Dec 13, 2005
311 posts
184 upvotes
HWDAN55 wrote: more than likely you're congesting the Wifi on too few bands, GB service is not the problem. Live streaming requires steady bitrate and if you have 5 streams all on the same channel, Wifi needs to round-robin to them all as it can't transmit to all at the same time . 4x4 ax routers are a bit better with that with 1x1 or 2X2 clients. I'm generalizing but this should give you a start at looking to tune your environment, maybe adding wired access points running non-overlapping 40mhz channels at best.
This. You need to turn off auto channel selection for wifi and use powerline or Ethernet to take TVs off the wifi. It's hard but possible to get a good setup without lag spikes and run multiple meetings. Pro tip : mild QoS can help with upstream loaded ping spikes. Fast.com allows you to test up and downstream loaded ping.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2821 posts
846 upvotes
Toronto
Before someone asks,
No, it is not supported by dd-wrt.
No, it is not supported by FreshTomato.
No, it is not supported by OpenWrt and doubt that it will ever get support. It makes use of Broadcom BCM6750 SoC.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33989 posts
7631 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you are just looking for better WiFi, you should just get an AX access Point

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-AX3600-Wi ... 08PW34WPX/
Jan 13, 2005
931 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bigdaddyyc wrote: So you're solving this by switching to one router? I don't see the tradeoff benefit of going to one router for a house. I have a TP link deco mesh system with no issues.
Which tp link mesh system are you using? I'm in the market for one as i don't think my Rogets router is strong enough to connect to security camera in the front porch.
Oct 10, 2012
6 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond
bayboy wrote: I'd also like some help with sorting Wifi 6 Tri-Band. I'm still rocking the Rogers black box but am being shamed by my kids ie. "Our internet sucks!". 5 people streaming online classes are punishing our Gb service. Other people on the street are saying the same. I've had techs come through but they can't do anything. We even have 3 pods but no improvement. The kids are pushing me to Bell but their prices are about $30 more a month for a lower TV package. I'm hoping a new router or Mesh system will be the right call.
I used to have 3 TP-Link routers (1 Main, 2 bridged through powerline as repeaters) and it was mediocre at best. It did extend the wifi reach, but the speeds were mostly terrible. Recently switched to Asus Aimesh using 3x tri-band wifi 6 routers (1 main and 2 nodes on 5Ghz-2 backhaul) and the difference is night and day, aside from a few firmware issues and Shaw modem issues. This setup is pricey, but well worth it imo as I can get 300Mbps+ on a 5Ghz capable device in any corner of the house.

Some routers allows you to select DFS channels, so that helps get out of congestion, assuming your neighbors are using stock settings on UNII1&3 bands.
May 20, 2004
665 posts
555 upvotes
iverson wrote: Which tp link mesh system are you using? I'm in the market for one as i don't think my Rogets router is strong enough to connect to security camera in the front porch.
I've used both the x60 and m5's and both work very well.
Jan 13, 2005
931 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bigdaddyyc wrote: I've used both the x60 and m5's and both work very well.
Thanks! I'm torn between getting this router or to buy a mesh system in the similar price range. My current router is at the back of the house. I find the wifi to be spotty when i'm in the front porch.