Amazon.ca

TP-Link Deco M4 (2 pack) Mesh Wi-Fi router system
$129.99
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
2351 posts
1517 upvotes
Why are these so much bigger than the newer puck shape Decos?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1036 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 9:09 am
Most reviews are of the faster M9 model, but generally TP-Link's mesh system places in the lower end of the pack: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... st-results
Interesting performance for Plume;

I guess if you have Bell, paying $5 mo isn't too bad as in 2-3 years most of these mesh systems might be a bit outdated due to WiFi6?
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1747 posts
723 upvotes
GTA
neonic wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 9:42 am

I guess if you have Bell, paying $5 mo isn't too bad as in 2-3 years most of these mesh systems might be a bit outdated due to WiFi6?
(Almost) Everything is outdated in a year or two. There will be WiFi 7, 8... etc. Buy it if you need it while it is on sale.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1036 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
DragOnT wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 9:52 am
(Almost) Everything is outdated in a year or two. There will be WiFi 7, 8... etc. Buy it if you need it while it is on sale.
But that's my point. why buy if you can rent?
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
[OP]
Mar 10, 2019
861 posts
843 upvotes
Scote64 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 9:09 am
Most reviews are of the faster M9 model, but generally TP-Link's mesh system places in the lower end of the pack: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... st-results
I have the 3 pack of the Deco M4.

The set up of the Deco systems is super easy. It's a good app-based set up. The concept of no web interface is a little disappointing and there are a couple of minor things to take note of. You first must create a TP-Link account and password. To do that, you must have a working internet connection on your Android or iPhone device, whether it's from your old Wi-Fi router or mobile data. After doing that, make sure you forget your Wi-Fi network credentials saved on the phone (but leave Wi-Fi enabled). This is because the app automatically tries to save those two your phone that is doing the setup, and if your still using the same network name and password as before, I found that the app sometimes reports an error saying that it couldn't connect. They assume that you've never used this network name before.

There are some minor bugs in the app. If you tell it to not give you notifications about new devices, the app ignores that setting and does it anyway. Sometimes, not all devices get shown in the connected client list, even though they're connected and working. Also, there are no channel controls. The unit does whatever it feels best. The "fast roaming" is disabled by default for universal compatibility, but I think that kind of defeats the purpose of mesh to disable that.

There are no fancy features: no antivirus, no built-in VPN support, no detailed client status connection speed, no 2.4 or 5GHz or which node you're connecter to indication, no signal strength reading, etc.

What this product does have is ease-of -use and stability. It just works and coverage is fantastic (based on a 3 pack; the $130 price is for a 2 pack).
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
3894 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
Give it a try, hopefully it solve my issue, internet's been up and down rencently and the Carrytel says the modem consistant connected in last a few days and mentioned the problem might on the router(Dlink 860L with DD-WRT).

Or if there is better brand & deal, please post, thanks in advance.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go