Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
1847 posts
1382 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link Deco M5 AC1300 Mesh network 3 Pack - $199

I have one of these good price for a good setup.

Info here: https://www.tp-link.com/ca/home-network ... o/deco-m5/
Last edited by FooNdaR on Dec 18th, 2019 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
83 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3480 upvotes
The NORTH
Price in the title please.
Jul 4, 2017
126 posts
221 upvotes
I'm not very familiar with routers, I've been trying to get help in every router thread so I'll try my luck again Smiling Face With Open Mouth

What's the better option:
Deco M5 + Network switch
Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Router + Network switch
Asus AC86U

They all come out to the same price
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
1847 posts
1382 upvotes
IsraSoldier wrote: I'm not very familiar with routers, I've been trying to get help in every router thread so I'll try my luck again Smiling Face With Open Mouth

What's the better option:
Deco M5 + Network switch
Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Router + Network switch
Asus AC86U

They all come out to the same price
I used to have an R7000 and found many dead spots in my house. (3000 sg ft). I now have the M5, no dead spots, whole house is covered. 20+ devices connected at all times, tons of gaming, streaming and more, with no issues. Gigabit modem and main deco in basement, then one on each floor (central).
Is that what you define as ‘better’?
Sep 15, 2015
256 posts
145 upvotes
This or the M4 for the same price?
Jul 4, 2017
126 posts
221 upvotes
FooNdaR wrote: I used to have an R7000 and found many dead spots in my house. (3000 sg ft). I now have the M5, no dead spots, whole house is covered. 20+ devices connected at all times, tons of gaming, streaming and more, with no issues. Gigabit modem and main deco in basement, then one on each floor (central).
Is that what you define as ‘better’?
I think the #1 concern for me is reliability, I don't want random drops - from what you're saying, looks like the M5 provides that
Jun 22, 2007
153 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
Awesome system. Great price. Never seen it this low.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3690 posts
3349 upvotes
Muskoka
I have the this Deco M5 3-pack system - bought last year for $230 I think. Great. Solid, never needs to be rebooted. I use another TPLink router for DHCP and use the Deco's just for WiFi.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1887 posts
331 upvotes
I got this from Best Buy open box post boxing day last year for around this price. Highly recommended. No dead spots in my house and my whole yard has coverage too.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Feb 26, 2011
751 posts
785 upvotes
Calgary
IsraSoldier wrote: I think that only 1 of them is a router, the other 2 are extenders.
Thanks but I did my research and 3 units are identical in this kit.
Nov 6, 2012
197 posts
294 upvotes
NORTH YORK
jwslam wrote: Thanks but I did my research and 3 units are identical in this kit.
They are identical, but one of them should be plugged into modem and will be a main unit.
Then you can decide if the main unit will work as a router (then you need to disable router capability on the modem) or it will be just an access point (while modem will work as a router).
If you have Rogers or Bell modem, I highly advise to use the main unit as a router.
M5 is better than M4.
This is the lowest price ever for the set of 3.
I have 5 of these and usually they work fine.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3690 posts
3349 upvotes
Muskoka
jwslam wrote: Splitting this with someone. How far could I get with just 1?

Also read through last thread
amazon-ca-tplink-deco-m5-mesh-wifi-3-pack-219-2240810/
These are pretty strong. One would go quite far. I have 3, but I am pretty sure I can remove one and not notice any difference and I live in a 3000 sq ft house. But you will likely need to answer your own question given the unique features of your own environment.
Public Mobile
Oct 5, 2011
158 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Question: I am using R7000 as my main router in basement, and main floor and second floor has a xiaomi router respectively as AP(connect through powerline). Would I get better result if i use this M5 system to replace my xiaomi routers? My house is around 2500 sq feet and i only get small portion of max speed for wifi (in basement i can get 500Mbps with 5G channel, while on second floor i only got around 15~Mbps). Does Deco M5 uses wifi to connection each other?
Oct 13, 2005
183 posts
69 upvotes
Is there any reason someone would want the older M4 version over the M5 (besides maybe already having M4 hardware and wanting to expand)?

I ordered this set, but the M4 3-pack is on sale for the same price, and that thread has 11 pages. Am I missing something obvious here?
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1625 posts
752 upvotes
Center of the univer…
Yea was wondering the same thing .. and e4 is $150 right now on Amazon... What are the main differences

Also, I have two google tplink onhub working as mesh, would this provide any benefit over that setup?
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2006
1497 posts
737 upvotes
Edmonton
Main difference is e4 is only 100mbit ethernet ports (aka "Fast Ethernet"), while the M4/M5/M# are Gigabit. Especially if you are running any of the nodes with an ethernet backhaul (wires connecting it to the main unit instead of wifi), you will want Gigabit. Or if you have a wired computer where 100+mbit matters.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1625 posts
752 upvotes
Center of the univer…
Carbo wrote: Main difference is e4 is only 100mbit ethernet ports (aka "Fast Ethernet"), while the M4/M5/M# are Gigabit. Especially if you are running any of the nodes with an ethernet backhaul (wires connecting it to the main unit instead of wifi), you will want Gigabit. Or if you have a wired computer where 100+mbit matters.
And what's the difference between m4 and M5... Is M5 alot better? Or worse?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3735 posts
998 upvotes
Calgary
I love my m5 system I replaced my nighthawk r7000 with it.