Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link Deco Whole Home Mesh WiFi System - (Deco M5 3-Pack) 149.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2021 7:39 pm
Sr. Member
Oct 31, 2010
683 posts
496 upvotes
Edmonton
ji2o0k wrote: Silly question but how can you tell if you are on the 2.4 or 5Ghz band with this system if you currently don't have a separate SSID? Speedtest?


I'm using the M9 Plus system with the 1 SSID (previous Rogers CODA modem allowed me to name 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz band) - thinking I should set up the guest network on 2.4Ghz only.....but can't tell if I'm currently on 2.4?
In the deco app, select the device you want to know the connection frequency of, then click the gear in the top right corner in the screen that says upload/download activity. Then it'll say in brackets the frequency that the device is using under "Connection type".
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2006
3743 posts
3432 upvotes
Muskoka
ji2o0k wrote: Silly question but how can you tell if you are on the 2.4 or 5Ghz band with this system if you currently don't have a separate SSID? Speedtest?


I'm using the M9 Plus system with the 1 SSID (previous Rogers CODA modem allowed me to name 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz band) - thinking I should set up the guest network on 2.4Ghz only.....but can't tell if I'm currently on 2.4?
You can't

You can set your guest to 2.4 only and your main to 5 only and then do your test on each to see if there is any difference. I had to close down 5GHtz on one of my SSIDs because my Harmony Hub was having issues.
Public Mobile
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21786 posts
3052 upvotes
Toronto
darkstar107 wrote: In the deco app, select the device you want to know the connection frequency of, then click the gear in the top right corner in the screen that says upload/download activity. Then it'll say in brackets the frequency that the device is using under "Connection type".
I thanked all the folks that answered but this is the best one! That gear thingy shows the Connection type.....good to know!

Seems so random how deco is assigning devices on the bands - I guess due to proximity but my main rig is sitting beside a puck & it is on 2.4Ghz downloading stuff....lol

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2114 posts
583 upvotes
Vaughan
ashomar wrote: Yes, I used them both. I get at least 50% more speed with the M9. 2 (M9) pods cover the entire house where I used 3 (M5) with faster speeds from two M9.
Does this have the same effect if all pods are connected through ethernet? The 5.8GHZ channel is only useful for pods communicating wirelessly, correct?

Edit: Just saw the same Q was asked already.
awais wrote: Im assuming this would not matter if you are hardwiring the units. But with mesh, yes tri band definitely helps as it uses a dedicated band to connect the nodes.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
1328 posts
296 upvotes
Well, after PM with BB and picking it up, I'm kinda underwhelmed. My Netgear Nighthawk runs circles around this thing. Shame, as it's 3 pucks for $150 vs. 2 boxes for $229 (netgear).
Surprised how good the netgear range is in comparison. Oh well. Back it goes. Oh well. Love the interface though.

edit: For example, The TP-Link puck in the basement would get me maybe 80Mbps to my front bedroom while the netgear gets almost 300Mbps through the same 2 floors. Quite surprised how the range drops off fast on the TP-link as you go past maybe 10-15 feet.
Last edited by nambit on Jan 20th, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Oct 31, 2010
683 posts
496 upvotes
Edmonton
ji2o0k wrote: I thanked all the folks that answered but this is the best one! That gear thingy shows the Connection type.....good to know!

Seems so random how deco is assigning devices on the bands - I guess due to proximity but my main rig is sitting beside a puck & it is on 2.4Ghz downloading stuff....lol
If your rig is sitting right beside it you could plug it directly into one of the pucks Ethernet ports.
Member
User avatar
Nov 28, 2019
318 posts
830 upvotes
Never click buy so fast in my life. These things rarely have large percentage off like this. Thanks OP.

Now that all corner of the house is covered in wifi, I can hide and order my kirkland sigature drip in peace.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2010
1347 posts
410 upvotes
Surrey
nambit wrote: Well, after PM with BB and picking it up, I'm kinda underwhelmed. My Netgear Nighthawk runs circles around this thing. Shame, as it's 3 pucks for $150 vs. 2 boxes for $229 (netgear).
Surprised how good the netgear range is in comparison. Oh well. Back it goes. Oh well. Love the interface though.

edit: For example, The TP-Link puck in the basement would get me maybe 80Mbps to my front bedroom while the netgear gets almost 300Mbps through the same 2 floors. Quite surprised how the range drops off fast on the TP-link as you go past maybe 10-15 feet.
Im thinking of cancelling my order, seems like this isn't worth it even for $150 imo.
Member
Apr 8, 2007
329 posts
118 upvotes
Any suggestions for a similar system that does allows separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSID's? I like the flexibility of either using this as a mesh system or wired backhaul. Or a combination of the two. Preferably in the same price range as this deal but I know that will be a stretch.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 8, 2003
1269 posts
149 upvotes
Vancouver
bnevets27 wrote: Any suggestions for a similar system that does allows separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSID's? I like the flexibility of either using this as a mesh system or wired backhaul. Or a combination of the two. Preferably in the same price range as this deal but I know that will be a stretch.
I am looking for this too. I decided to cancel my order for this. My main issue is my 5ghz doesnt reach my living room, but the 2.4 ghz does. I would be annoyed if it kept conneting to 2.4 ghz in t living room when i want only 5 ghz.

Maybe I will just get an extender since I am only worried about the one area, my living room. rest of the place is okay.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
1328 posts
296 upvotes
bnevets27 wrote: Any suggestions for a similar system that does allows separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSID's? I like the flexibility of either using this as a mesh system or wired backhaul. Or a combination of the two. Preferably in the same price range as this deal but I know that will be a stretch.
Honestly, this works well for my house as, similarly, it's a MESH system w/ wireless backhaul. Much better range/performance than the TP-Link and handles my whole house fine (1900 Sq feet, 3 bedroom, duplex). It's Wifi6 by the way.
It was on sale a few weeks back for $229 and I'm sure it'll be on sale again for that price.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/14547991
Jr. Member
Dec 2, 2007
138 posts
275 upvotes
Damn missed this. Price is up to $199.
Member
User avatar
Apr 25, 2010
229 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Would this be better over installing multiple TP-Link EAP245s for a 4 story townhouse?
Sr. Member
May 17, 2007
612 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
Kafer wrote: Damn missed this. Price is up to $199.
Late to the thread, not a good deal any more. Shame, was going to pull the trigger too.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1644 posts
801 upvotes
Center of the univer…
Ryu69 wrote: I am looking for this too. I decided to cancel my order for this. My main issue is my 5ghz doesnt reach my living room, but the 2.4 ghz does. I would be annoyed if it kept conneting to 2.4 ghz in t living room when i want only 5 ghz.

Maybe I will just get an extender since I am only worried about the one area, my living room. rest of the place is okay.
Linksys Velop mesh system allows you to split the SSID right out of the box with no workarounds
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
2045 posts
1513 upvotes
condo
Anyone in GVRD that has an extra deco they won't need, I'm happy to pay $50 for it and pick it up. So your cost for the two Deco M5's would only be $100 in this case... feel free to DM me, I can meet up in Van, Rmd, Bby, or Tri-cities
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
2045 posts
1513 upvotes
condo
kanezuo wrote: TP-link Deco X20 and X60 are latest version mesh wireless networking. Both are WIFI6. My X20 2-pack was purchased at $199. X60 2-pack can have deal of $299 from time to time.
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-WiFi-AX18 ... r=8-1&th=1

That's my choice as I don't have 5000+ house :).
The Deco X20 two pack or Deco M9 two pack for $199,99 would be a great price. Paid $149.99 for two Deco M5s... they do the job and are good enough for internet 150Mbps.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 8, 2003
1269 posts
149 upvotes
Vancouver
awais wrote: Linksys Velop mesh system allows you to split the SSID right out of the box with no workarounds
Thanks. I will look into that.
Sr. Member
Aug 29, 2013
796 posts
580 upvotes
Waterloo
Hey Folks!

Got this set up today... so far so good!

I do have a quick question however for you geniuses out there. My old TP Link router is unplugged but I see my old network and signal strength on my list of available networks. The password to connect is my old password, does not connect with mesh password. The internet does work on both the 2.4 and 5 connections that are visible.

Is it possible this signal is coming straight from my modem? The network ID is “TP link...” The modem is a Hitron CGN3.

I am so confused...
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
2153 posts
1168 upvotes
Toronto
If anyone has buyer remorse pls kindly pm me I would like to take it over at $149 plus applicable taxes. Thanks

Top