Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

TP-Link EAP225 Wireless Access Point $59.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2017 8:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2012 posts
459 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link EAP225 Wireless Access Point $59.99

I've been waiting for this WAP (wireless access point) to go on sale. Lowest it's been in Canada as far as I can tell. However, it's limited to 1 purchases per account.

For those who don't know what this is exactly, this device is like a "router" except without the router features. It's not a traditional Wi-Fi extender, so it does need to be wired into your router. It only delivers Wi-Fi access. Some reasons for buying this:
  • Current router with wifi has too many devices and needs to offload some of the work to a WAP.
  • You need to extend your Wi-Fi connection to somewhere else in the house.
  • You need to create a separate guest Wi-Fi with landing page for your business.
My setup will be:
Modem > Router > TP-Link WAP

More info about the product: http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/deta ... AP225.html
19 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
1768 posts
794 upvotes
So it's like a repeater?
Brown ahead for Bure. Bure going in.. he scores! Pavel Bure has won it for the Vancouver Canucks! It's a triple overtime hat-trick for Vancouver!
- Western Conference Quarter-Final Game 7, April 30, 1994
Jr. Member
Nov 15, 2009
172 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This device is meant to be deployed as multiple units as your layout requires and can be centrally managed using the included Auranet software. This is not a router or repeater. It requires a wired connection to a router or switch and only provides wifi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_access_point
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2012 posts
459 upvotes
berniebennybernard wrote: So it's like a repeater?
Kind of but not really at the same time. WAPs are usually used to create their own Wi-Fi network, where a repeater would piggyback off an existing one. Unlike "Wi-Fi mesh", WAPs are usually connected to the source (router or switch), where Repeaters and WAPs usually carry the signal wirelessly back to the source.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2012 posts
459 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Anyone know how well these work when roaming between my router and the EAP?
I don't really see any issue with this as long as they're on the same subnet (or vlan). The only real downside is that there's no load balancing and if you have a guest portal setup, it'll likely only work when connecting to the EAP225. Also, any device connecting to the network will just connect to whichever one it picks up first. Not really any concern if this is just for a home network tbh.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46194 posts
6654 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Chocolinx wrote: I don't really see any issue with this as long as they're on the same subnet (or vlan). The only real downside is that there's no load balancing and if you have a guest portal setup, it'll likely only work when connecting to the EAP225. Also, any device connecting to the network will just connect to whichever one it picks up first. Not really any concern if this is just for a home network tbh.
I currently have an RE350 and roaming between my router and it does not work very well - I'm wondering if this would be better. The devices just simply do not switch to the more powerful device when it should.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2043 posts
1543 upvotes
My understanding is that roaming between 2 APs (for example the router, and the WAP) is never seamless.

Your device such as your phone may decide to switch APs only after the signal is way too weak from 1 so you may get an inturruption in your WiFi.
Jr. Member
Aug 4, 2006
167 posts
53 upvotes
Burnaby
shayne85 wrote: My understanding is that roaming between 2 APs (for example the router, and the WAP) is never seamless.

Your device such as your phone may decide to switch APs only after the signal is way too weak from 1 so you may get an inturruption in your WiFi.
Mesh system does a good job in switching. The router will drop the signal and force your device to a new access point.

Ubiquiti system also does a good job. In order for a seamless transition, your access points need to talk to each other.

Linksys also has one that does seamless roaming. I have heard theirs has issues.

For Google WiFi, I suggest putting your name in newegg for a 79.99 onhub refurbished.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2043 posts
1543 upvotes
Thanks for that - that's what I thought about the mesh networks.

The Google On Hub refurb sounds like a great cheap way to get a mesh network.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10717 posts
3118 upvotes
Winnipeg
Jon Lai wrote: I currently have an RE350 and roaming between my router and it does not work very well - I'm wondering if this would be better. The devices just simply do not switch to the more powerful device when it should.
sometimes you have to start looking at clients too and how capable they are. Some are quick and good at it others just don't let go.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46194 posts
6654 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Cheezer88 wrote: Mesh system does a good job in switching. The router will drop the signal and force your device to a new access point.

Ubiquiti system also does a good job. In order for a seamless transition, your access points need to talk to each other.

Linksys also has one that does seamless roaming. I have heard theirs has issues.

For Google WiFi, I suggest putting your name in newegg for a 79.99 onhub refurbished.
The ones at the office tend to switch seamlessly. Are there any consumer grade that does the same?
Sr. Member
Mar 6, 2005
658 posts
172 upvotes
how does this compare to the Ubiquiti ones?
Member
User avatar
Oct 21, 2016
313 posts
149 upvotes
I'm helping my brother setup wifi for his business so he can offer it to customers.

I bought an AC3200 Dlink router thinking that would handle it.

Would I need this WAP or is the "Guest Network" feature on the modem good enough?
Is it better to use the WAP?

Top