Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link EAP245 AC1750 Wireless Access Point - $89.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2020 5:03 pm
Sep 25, 2007
549 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Can I get a EAP245 now and add a EAP225 later? Both wired. Just wanna check it'll roam between them relatively well without needing to setup a controller, but I can set one up if that's the only way to make those two different models work.

Edit: ordered a EAP245 for now. While I can't find anything specifically saying two different models will work together, the fact they're both Omada-compatible suggests it should be fine.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1278 posts
1410 upvotes
GTA
I setup a bunch of EAPs recently, 2 EAP225 and 3 EAP245, with the Omada controller running on a Raspberry Pi. More than I really needed, but they’re cheap enough to overbuild and just turn down transmit power.
They have been working well. I did plan out the locations based upon their antenna patterns (basically a hemisphere; there is not much to their back). This is different than the unidirectional of most WI-FI routers and repeaters (think a sphere).
I used 20MHz for 2.4G with channels 1,6,11 and 20/40/89 for 5G with channels 36/48 and 149/161. Changing the 5G base channel number from 35 to 48 (or 149 to 161) changed it for the 20 and 40 to not overlap, though the 80MHz still does.
Tx power ranges from 4 to 16 dB. RSSI is usually about -40 to -50, so speeds rock.
Oct 31, 2013
573 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
I returned two of these. The 2.4g radio is broken in these devices.10 feet away from thebase and the bandwidth is almost none. I am trying a Arch c8 in the same location and it's working flawlessly.
It's a shame tplink didn't reply the tickets or the thread I opened in their forums.
-Throw me a stone and I will build castle-
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2474 posts
1693 upvotes
I've setup 2 of these at a clients site, hoping to be impressed myself and hoping to satisfy the clients budget requirements. Unfortunately the client is experiencing severe packet loss on all wireless clients after a few hours of uptime.

Signal strength remains strong, CPU and Memory usage on the EAP245 devices shows that they are near-idle, and there 0 (or very few) packet errors/drops showing in the EAP245s for all interfaces (LAN, 2.4ghz and 5ghz). Rebooting it fixes it but after a few hours the problem comes back. It's not feasible to constantly reboot the devices every 2-6 hours. Checked all the wiring with cable testers and with IPerf.

It seems I'm not alone with this issue and there's a whole bunch of threads on the TPLink forums about it but no solutions. I don't think it's an issue with the environment or the setup (you can see in the threads people have tried changing every variable imaginable). I think it's a unique issue to (some?) EAP devices, where they start dropping packets after some number of hours, and a restart of the EAP devices always brings the performance back to 100%
https://community.tp-link.com/en/busine ... pic/205952
https://community.tp-link.com/en/busine ... pic/166858
https://community.tp-link.com/en/busine ... pic/159455

Anyone here encountered this before?
Last edited by SomeGuyNamedBob on Jul 7th, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 22, 2010
441 posts
400 upvotes
Victoria
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: I've setup 2 of these at a clients site, hoping to be impressed myself and hoping to satisfy the clients budget requirements. Unfortunately the client is experiencing severe packet loss on all wireless clients after a few hours of uptime.

Signal strength remains strong, CPU and Memory usage on the EAP245 devices shows that they are near-idle, and there 0 (or very few) packet errors/drops showing in the EAP245s for all interfaces (LAN, 2.4ghz and 5ghz). Rebooting it fixes it but after a few hours the problem comes back. It's not feasible to constantly reboot the devices every 2-6 hours. Checked all the wiring with cable testers and with IPerf. It seems I'm not alone with this issue and there's a whole bunch of threads on the TPLink forums about it but no solutions: https://community.tp-link.com/en/busine ... pic/205952

The ones I have installed have been rather solid. That being said I had to reboot roughly ever 2 months due to 1 client of around 50 that loses connection and can no longer see the WAP. A reboot solves it for another ~60 days.

Thanks,
Cal.
Sep 14, 2020
4 posts
nice thread, I've never thought so much.about these thing
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1373 posts
439 upvotes
Ottawa
calvados.boualrd wrote: The ones I have installed have been rather solid. That being said I had to reboot roughly ever 2 months due to 1 client of around 50 that loses connection and can no longer see the WAP. A reboot solves it for another ~60 days.

Thanks,
Cal.
A bit late to the party but just want to mention that the Omada controller has a feature to reboot its managed devices automatically on a schedule. Just set it to reboot the EAP one at a time every x weeks goes a long way to workaround these issues.
Sep 22, 2010
441 posts
400 upvotes
Victoria
csi123 wrote: A bit late to the party but just want to mention that the Omada controller has a feature to reboot its managed devices automatically on a schedule. Just set it to reboot the EAP one at a time every x weeks goes a long way to workaround these issues.
Thanks for your message. Yes I am aware of this however the one problem client requires it's own human intervention when it disconnects. Since I'm just running the 1 EAP at this location, I chose to pass on the Omada controller, and do it manually when it happens.

FYI you can also schedule reboots via a script that SSH into the EAP.

Thanks,
Cal.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1390 posts
220 upvotes
Can I run this in conjunction with an existing Ubiquiti access point? Will they mesh?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1188 posts
833 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I think most people would be better served with a Deco M9.

For those wading into the EAP APs, there's a slight learning curve. Remember this is coming from tech savvy but non IT person.

I got this unit maybe a year ago and went through the whole controller / app / etc confusion. Had the controller 3.x installed in a docker on my NAS. Fast forward a year and now to upgrade the firmwares on my APs, I HAVE to upgrade the controller version.

Great! I just learned docker when I got the APs. Long story short, the new controller version has a new db scheme or something, with a heavy emphasis on something. Needless to say, I wasn't able to successfully migrate and just installed a fresh controller docker.

The new controller is now not letting me upgrade firmware. In some ways for me, the new UI is a step back. Time to sleep but will spend some time tomorrow to figure it out.

This isn't rocket science, but it's no stroll in the park.

EDIT: Okay, able to batch edit the firmware of the APs. Things aren't immediately clear but once you figure it out, the new UI is actually an improvement I think. I just wish they had a seamless transition from the controller software 3 to 4 shift.

Was experiencing latency that seemingly increased over the past few months. Played around with my settings, turned off the 2G radio on one of the APS, and set it to medium for both 5G radios. Much faster when surfing but there's about a second hesitation when going to new sites. Maybe my adblock or something else is the cause... not sure.

Edit: Wow, either the previous firmware and/or controller software was bad, or my settings may have been erroneous My internet was lagging before, but is flying now. It's strange because my previous and current settings are pretty much the same.

Before, the networked printer would always disappear, or when it did appear, would take a while to print. Now it seems to be faster and more reliable.

Same with Jellyfin. Scrolling through movies is without delay.

Just a much better and faster experience overall.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1278 posts
1410 upvotes
GTA
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: I've setup 2 of these at a clients site, hoping to be impressed myself and hoping to satisfy the clients budget requirements. Unfortunately the client is experiencing severe packet loss on all wireless clients after a few hours of uptime.

Signal strength remains strong, CPU and Memory usage on the EAP245 devices shows that they are near-idle, and there 0 (or very few) packet errors/drops showing in the EAP245s for all interfaces (LAN, 2.4ghz and 5ghz). Rebooting it fixes it but after a few hours the problem comes back. It's not feasible to constantly reboot the devices every 2-6 hours. Checked all the wiring with cable testers and with IPerf.

It seems I'm not alone with this issue and there's a whole bunch of threads on the TPLink forums about it but no solutions. I don't think it's an issue with the environment or the setup (you can see in the threads people have tried changing every variable imaginable). I think it's a unique issue to (some?) EAP devices, where they start dropping packets after some number of hours, and a restart of the EAP devices always brings the performance back to 100%
https://community.tp-link.com/en/busine ... pic/205952
https://community.tp-link.com/en/busine ... pic/166858
https://community.tp-link.com/en/busine ... pic/159455

I have 5 (3 EAP245. 2 EAP225) deployed so far. They have all been solid, with no drops or slowness.
I’m using the older Omada controller software, and the last firmwares for that one (just before the latest released this year that needs the new controller software).
I never had to reboot them. All are hardwired (no mesh), and all have Tx power rather low.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2474 posts
1693 upvotes
karlb wrote: I have 5 (3 EAP245. 2 EAP225) deployed so far. They have all been solid, with no drops or slowness.
I’m using the older Omada controller software, and the last firmwares for that one (just before the latest released this year that needs the new controller software).
I never had to reboot them. All are hardwired (no mesh), and all have Tx power rather low.
After many hours of troubleshooting I isolated the issue to 4 security cameras on my wifi. They were sending 1080p RTSP video at a high bitrate 24x7. Other routers can handle this fine but these eap245 start dropping packets overtime and eventually lockup entirely. It's a known issue on the TPlink forums and they're not doing anything about it. I've reached out to them and I've gotten nowhere. It's a complete joke that they're marketing these devices for enterprises
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
1814 posts
1248 upvotes
condo
would this be a good replacement for a Netgear R7000 if I don't need the router function? I have about 30 wireless clients due to home automation and it keeps causing the R7000 to reboot and disconnect my internet... TIA