Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link EAP245v3 AC1750 Wireless Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point, PoE Injector Included $79.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2021 5:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1003 posts
410 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link EAP245v3 AC1750 Wireless Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point, PoE Injector Included $79.99

This is a great access point if you are in the Omada ecosystem.
PoE injector is included.

All time low, according to the three dromadaries.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 9th, 2021 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added price to title
60 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
4061 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto
Good price, I have this unit and no issues.
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."

Alvin Toffler
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1003 posts
410 upvotes
Montreal
swordman2000 wrote: can it be used as a normal router?
No, it only provides Wifi signal. It needs to be plugged into an existing router.
Jul 3, 2017
97 posts
160 upvotes
I have 2 of these roaming works great

although you need to run the omada software for roaming... run it on a PC I have mine running in docker
Kinda sucks the standalone controller is $99

If you only need 1 you don't have to run the software just use the UI or phone app and set it up
May 17, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes
Can this be used as an extender? As an example be plugged into a Shaw gateway and utilize the same wifi network?
ry3w33 wrote: I have 2 of these roaming works great

although you need to run the omada software for roaming... run it on a PC I have mine running in docker

If you only need 1 you don't have to run the software just use the UI or phone app and set it up
Aug 25, 2011
138 posts
204 upvotes
BURLINGTON

I have one and I am happy with it but I am interested in the roaming function. Can you make a wired mesh network with these? Do you have to have a tplink router as a base? Are they compatible with the tplink mesh products? All advice appreciated. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2009
1459 posts
329 upvotes
Can this be added to a mesh network? Or do I just buy another piece for the mesh router.
Jul 3, 2017
97 posts
160 upvotes
Yes just set the same SSID and password

weekend511 wrote: Can this be used as an extender? As an example be plugged into a Shaw gateway and utilize the same wifi network?
Jul 3, 2017
97 posts
160 upvotes
The omada stuff does not work with other tp-link stuff..

you do not need a tp-link router you just need to run the omada controller on a PC of with the standalone controller and enable fast roaming.

I think you can have a wireless mesh backhaul but have not tryed this.
407user wrote: I have one and I am happy with it but I am interested in the roaming function. Can you make a wired mesh network with these? Do you have to have a tplink router as a base? Are they compatible with the tplink mesh products? All advice appreciated. Thank you.
Sep 7, 2006
995 posts
705 upvotes
Kynax wrote: No, it only provides Wifi signal. It needs to be plugged into an existing router.
Incorrect, it needs to be plugged into a switch. You can indeed use your existing router, disable the wifi on it and use this AP to boost your throughout. Doing so alleviates the load placed on your router as it now acts as a switch only.

Upvote for the deal. It's a solid product. Originally I had an issue with the connection dropping consistently on a desktop using a tp-link USB wifi adapter but I quickly found out that the adapter was the issue.

I have one in a 3 story townhome with the AP located in the basement, connected to 3 google minis, 2 ring cameras (third planned) and everything else connected to it and it doesn't sweat
Last edited by IceCreamGee on Jun 9th, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 29, 2011
120 posts
91 upvotes
Ontario
Kynax wrote: No, it only provides Wifi signal. It needs to be plugged into an existing router.
Not out of the box but it should be possible if you flash the open source firmware openwrt. This is however considered advanced and beyond the expected normal usage. You would also no longer be using omada features.
Aug 29, 2011
120 posts
91 upvotes
Ontario
IceCreamGee wrote: Incorrect, it needs to be plugged into a switch. You can indeed use your existing router, disable the wifi on it and use this AP to boost your throughout. Doing so alleviates the load placed on your router as it now acts as a switch only.
Small correction, the router is still routing, just with wifi off / no wifi as it needs to translate wan to lan and vice versa, such as the ubiquiti er-x which has no WiFi and would be paired with a unit like this.
Feb 20, 2018
83 posts
88 upvotes
IceCreamGee wrote: Incorrect, it needs to be plugged into a switch. You can indeed use your existing router, disable the wifi on it and use this AP to boost your throughout. Doing so alleviates the load placed on your router as it now acts as a switch only.
No, you can plug this AP directly into your [consumer grade] router without needing a switch in between, using the POE injector. A consumer grade router is usually a combo of a switch, router and an access point.

In my case, I still have the wifi enabled on my router, which serves the basement area. The TP-Link AP sits in the main floor and serves the rest of the house.
Mar 23, 2017
307 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
Even if you turn off wifi, your router is still a router as long as it is doing NAT
Deal Fanatic
Feb 12, 2005
8128 posts
81 upvotes
ry3w33 wrote: The omada stuff does not work with other tp-link stuff..

you do not need a tp-link router you just need to run the omada controller on a PC of with the standalone controller and enable fast roaming.

What a second - I have 2 of these... so I need to be running Omada?! Is that possibly the reason why sometimes I have to turn off my WIFI to my device and turn it back on so it connects to the nearest AP?!

I think I;ve read somewhere I can run Omada on a RPi.. confirmed?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2708 posts
1558 upvotes
GTA

407user wrote: I have one and I am happy with it but I am interested in the roaming function. Can you make a wired mesh network with these? Do you have to have a tplink router as a base? Are they compatible with the tplink mesh products? All advice appreciated. Thank you.
ry3w33 wrote: The omada stuff does not work with other tp-link stuff..

From what I have been told you can run the controller software on PC and set it up then your settings are saved without needing a 24/7 controller running or the standalone controller itself. I currently have one setup (225) and no problems or the need for a second within my 1800 sq ft house.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2085 posts
1882 upvotes
Toronto
I have the 225 v3 (which looks the same, but "slower speeds") and it was fairly straight forward to install.

I use it to boost wifi upstairs - used to have bell/rogers pods instead, but decided to invest in a pair of MoCA adaptors; I still have wifi enabled on my router/modem using same SSID but different channels, so they won't conflict. I don't think it manages roaming at all (not expecting to), but works fine.

One thing I noticed tho - Like the signal is very strong, on devices you get like all bars, but obviously each device won't have such power to reply back, so sometimes I see it struggling when I'm outside (some ceilings/walls in between) - so you may want to keep it in mind when positioning your APs

I'm waiting to EAP620 to get a bit cheaper, so might ditch Bell's WiFi and fully use omada
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Jul 3, 2017
97 posts
160 upvotes
Yes this is why you are not switching to the best signal I've also read you can run it on a pi
the controller also allows you to easily upgrade firmware
for the cost and headache of a pi I'd just get The controller
Or if you has a Nas that supports docker
jEnkinsX wrote: What a second - I have 2 of these... so I need to be running Omada?! Is that possibly the reason why sometimes I have to turn off my WIFI to my device and turn it back on so it connects to the nearest AP?!

I think I;ve read somewhere I can run Omada on a RPi.. confirmed?
Dec 26, 2015
460 posts
370 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I have this unit and the controller. I am having issues setting up vlans with it. Ifnyou try to setup vlan with a pfsense router and a netgear switch which supports vlan. It seems I can only have 1 network configured which kind of sucks.