• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 2:12 am
[OP]
Mar 4, 2006
442 posts
497 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] TP-link kasa 3 outlet smart power strip $34.99

Lowest price according to camel×3

Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip, 3 Smart Outlet Surge Protector Works with Alexa Echo & Google Home and 2 USB Ports, No Hub Required (KP303)
63 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5289 posts
6105 upvotes
Alberta
Bought this a few weeks ago at the same price from a thread here. Still unopened waiting for a use.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2006
442 posts
497 upvotes
I plan on plugging in my modem to one outlet and wifi router to another to schedule a weekly reboot. TV to a third for alexa voice control and fire stick 4k to a usb port.

Edit: I confirmed the strip will follow preset schedules even if the internet is down.
Last edited by qpoqpo on Jul 17th, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4423 posts
3746 upvotes
Ontario
Is there a reason they seem to charge so much more for a more basic feature (power monitoring). I like kaza use a few of them but I actually prefer it for the Power Monitoring system.

I'm wondering if I should maybe change to another company.
---
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5289 posts
6105 upvotes
Alberta
kanechart wrote: Is there a reason they seem to charge so much more for a more basic feature (power monitoring). I like kaza use a few of them but I actually prefer it for the Power Monitoring system.

I'm wondering if I should maybe change to another company.
In my opinion, TP-Link is hands down the best brand in the automation space right now. They have a huge product line, frequent sales, and great support/updates. I have many of their products integrated into my Smartthings and they've been flawless.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4423 posts
3746 upvotes
Ontario
Lush78 wrote: In my opinion, TP-Link is hands down the best brand in the automation space right now. They have a huge product line, frequent sales, and great support/updates. I have many of their products integrated into my Smartthings and they've been flawless.
Good to know. I just wish they had power Monitoring on more their devices as I enjoy that part a lot.
---
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
2528 posts
1266 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Can the 3 outlets be controlled separately?
qpoqpo wrote: Lowest price according to camel×3

Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip, 3 Smart Outlet Surge Protector Works with Alexa Echo & Google Home and 2 USB Ports, No Hub Required (KP303)
Nov 24, 2014
278 posts
218 upvotes
Vancouver
Waiting for the 6 outlet version to be sold in Canada. Will hold off to this one.
Amazon.com
Nov 7, 2017
412 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto, ON
qpoqpo wrote: I plan on plugging in my modem to one outlet and wifi router to another to schedule a weekly reboot. TV to a third for alexa voice control and fire stick 4k to a usb port.
Never thought about this before, I am in for 1 just for this purpose. Thanks OP!
Jan 26, 2014
127 posts
130 upvotes
I can't access the admin panel remotely in my Archer C3150 unless I am using it to manage the networks DHCP...
Nev0513 wrote: Never thought about this before, I am in for 1 just for this purpose. Thanks OP!
There is no "reboot". It is power off or power on.
If you power off your WiFi router the power bar will not be connected to the network and will not know to turn on.
Last edited by PipDeals on Jul 17th, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3703 posts
5024 upvotes
Oakville
qpoqpo wrote: I plan on plugging in my modem to one outlet and wifi router to another to schedule a weekly reboot. TV to a third for alexa voice control and fire stick 4k to a usb port.
LoL I used to have to do that with my Netgear and Asus routers, and modem, however, since getting a ubiquiti edge router Ex, i have over 690 days of nonstop uptime, full history of performance, etc. No reboots. Just trying to put it out there, if you yourself can or know someone that can, setup a good high performance router.

Otherwise, great deal, I hook these up to cameras and Android tv boxes in case they misbehave.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3703 posts
5024 upvotes
Oakville
Nev0513 wrote: Never thought about this before, I am in for 1 just for this purpose. Thanks OP!
Keep in mind, whatever you're using to trigger the scheduled on offs for the modem and router doesn't require the internet.

My SmartThings hub for example stops working when I disconnect the modem or router using this solution, hence why I upgraded to ubiquity edge router Ex so I don't have to ever reboot again. But of course, if you have something that triggers without the internet, then that's the more quick and economical solution.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1598 posts
1307 upvotes
Are smart plugs safe to use on small appliances? For example a dehumidifier? I worry about any wear and tear on the unit if it's powered on/off on a schedule. This would simulate if I pull the plug, as opposed to manually turning the power off.
Jun 18, 2011
349 posts
247 upvotes
TORONTO
When rebooting the modem are you not supposed to unplug all the Ethernet cables first and then only plug them in once the modem has fully rebooted?

I have a wired mesh system and I find that if I don’t unplug, reboot and plug back in a specific order, my wifi won’t necessarily work 100% of the time.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2006
442 posts
497 upvotes
PipDeals wrote: I can't access the admin panel remotely in my Archer C3150 unless I am using it to manage the networks DHCP...

There is no "reboot". It is power off or power on.
If you power off your WiFi router the power bar will not be connected to the network and will not know to turn on.

I actually haven't tried it yet but was hoping the schedule would continue to function without internet. I'll have to test to see.
Aug 21, 2016
452 posts
719 upvotes
Calgary, AB
thinking more about this, this won't work, you turned wifi off, now your smart plugs are in disconnected state, how do you turn these back on? Maybe I am missing something.
RFD Effect Is Real
[OP]
Mar 4, 2006
442 posts
497 upvotes
zdpz wrote: LoL I used to have to do that with my Netgear and Asus routers, and modem, however, since getting a ubiquiti edge router Ex, i have over 690 days of nonstop uptime, full history of performance, etc. No reboots. Just trying to put it out there, if you yourself can or know someone that can, setup a good high performance router.

Otherwise, great deal, I hook these up to cameras and Android tv boxes in case they misbehave.
I don't think I would have an issue setting up a better router. My modem and router work decently most of the time but there have been times when there has been a power out and not all my devices reconnect nicely. I guess my router coming back online faster than the modem re-establishes a connection can cause problems. It hasn't become a big enough bother for me yet to spend a new router :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)