Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

TP-Link Kasa Light Switch ($16.99), 3-pack ($44.99) | Dimmer ($24.99), 3-pack ($59.99)

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2021 8:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4995 posts
4186 upvotes
Edmonton

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link Kasa Light Switch ($16.99), 3-pack ($44.99) | Dimmer ($24.99), 3-pack ($59.99)

I have been running 5 of these switches in my house for a few months and they have been rock solid with zero connection loss. Takes about 15 minutes to install. No experience with dimmer.

Switch: https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Required- ... 612&sr=8-3

Switch 3 pack https://www.amazon.ca/HS200P3-Lighting- ... 946&sr=8-4

Dimmer: https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Dimmer-Sw ... 746&sr=8-2

Dimmer 3 pack at best buy https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/tp ... k/14801582
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
23 replies
Nov 26, 2008
923 posts
611 upvotes
GTA
I agree! Awesome but just sure you have neutrals in the location. I recently made this mistake and had to return a 3 way and some dimmers.
Mar 21, 2005
78 posts
26 upvotes
Thunder Bay
If anyone is interested in using these with Home Assistant, know that they don't instantly report status changes. So if you turn one on, there can be a significant delay before the status change is sent to HA. I tried to link my basement lights with my porch lights like this, and would often end up downstairs in the dark before the status change was processed and the lights were turned on from the automation. But if you want to do everything through the Kasa app these are solid.
Jan 12, 2003
732 posts
329 upvotes
leafsfanatic wrote: If anyone is interested in using these with Home Assistant, know that they don't instantly report status changes. So if you turn one on, there can be a significant delay before the status change is sent to HA. I tried to link my basement lights with my porch lights like this, and would often end up downstairs in the dark before the status change was processed and the lights were turned on from the automation. But if you want to do everything through the Kasa app these are solid.
My home assistant works great with my kasa devices; i even have my ring door contacts set as sensors to turn lights on/off; no delay for me.

I also have then set with their ip in my configuration and sent static for dhcp. Only issue i have sometimes is when i restart ha the odd outdoor plug wont enable - usual to one more restart fixes it. Once they are online they are good.

2 dimmers; 4 3-ways; 4 normal and 3 outdoor;
2003/4 Logitech Cordless Navigator Duo
2007 - Pepsi - Score Every Hour - XBox 360 Arcade
2007 - KFC Chicken Bowls Contest - $5 Gift Card
2008 - Pepsi - "Win The Play" - 2 NFL Hats
2008 - WD - Crack the Code - TShirt
2009 - Wonder Bread Watch
Mar 7, 2011
48 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Yes make sure you have a neutral wire and also make sure that the switch is not a 3 way switch. HS200 is only for a single, HS210 is for a 3 way setup. Ask me how i know.

I installed a few HS220 dimmers and there is no way to make it local mode only and must be added via the kasa app, so i added it to my wifi network, it asks for an update immediately. Then i exited the app and added all the switches. Lastly I went into my router to assign them static IP's and blocked the switches from accessing the internet on my google wifi. This is my workaround for a 'local mode'. So far it is working fine with HA with a few exceptions where I have to reload the kasa add-on, what does everyone do to get local mode?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
2742 posts
1458 upvotes
Surrey
Is there timer switch that doesn’t need neutral?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4720 posts
6457 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
So, these dimmers (all dimmers?) have minimum wattage requirements: 150W.

What if I'm using them for 10 6W LED bulbs that are around 60W total?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14833 posts
9118 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If you find these disconnecting, or any smart devices as you start to accumulate, check your residential router's limit. It's usually 64 and may start having connection problems before that. Also move what you can to 5GHz if you can run separate SSID's. Instead of the smart hub route, I connected a 2nd router I had laying around to the main and put several smart devices on it, different 2.4 channel.
Nov 19, 2009
154 posts
37 upvotes
Calgary
Costco is selling smart dimmer 3 packs with 36.99
Apr 30, 2013
777 posts
440 upvotes
King City
diweidi wrote: Costco is selling smart dimmer 3 packs with 36.99
Inferior product. See the RFD thread on it.
Dec 18, 2013
11 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill
diweidi wrote: Costco is selling smart dimmer 3 packs with 36.99
Costco sells these.
See the reviews, horrible, I am returning them all to be replaced with the TP-Link Kasa ones on this post.
Issues I had with the Costco one: Flickering, Buzzing noise, and 3 out of 9 stopped dimming after a few months. Just good to be used as a smart switch to me.
Mar 7, 2011
48 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
PostDate1 wrote: Costco sells these.
See the reviews, horrible, I am returning them all to be replaced with the TP-Link Kasa ones on this post.
Issues I had with the Costco one: Flickering, Buzzing noise, and 3 out of 9 stopped dimming after a few months. Just good to be used as a smart switch to me.
The earlier versions of the FEIT switches you could flash tasmota on it OTA but they blocked it with an update about 1 year ago, Could still try with costco if it doesnt work just return it =p.

On a side note, I have installed 3 x HS220 dimmers so far, and have 1 switch that is buzzing. You cannot hear it unless you put your ear against it, I dont think it is normal, is it a defective unit?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
6249 posts
2116 upvotes
Calgary
i dont know why everybody is crying about the costco ones, i have no less than 12 in my house and theyre solid, dimmer, 3 way, and cheaper.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33977 posts
7616 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
derekc85 wrote: The earlier versions of the FEIT switches you could flash tasmota on it OTA but they blocked it with an update about 1 year ago, Could still try with costco if it doesnt work just return it =p.
The Feit switches at Costco are crap. Even if you managed to get Tasmota installed, it doesn't work very well.

If you want some Tasmota friendly switches, Amazon has a two pack of Gosund for 25.90$, no tax after coupon. Reports indicate these still work with Tuya Convert

amazon-ca-2-pack-gosund-wifi-light-swit ... x-2461970/
Oct 16, 2007
719 posts
651 upvotes
Montr
T3rry wrote: i dont know why everybody is crying about the costco ones, i have no less than 12 in my house and theyre solid, dimmer, 3 way, and cheaper.
Someone explains why just 2 posts above yours. But if a product where 90% of the people say it's cheap works for you, keep buying them. This thread is about a decent quality product at a fair price though.
Mar 21, 2005
78 posts
26 upvotes
Thunder Bay
slade wrote: My home assistant works great with my kasa devices; i even have my ring door contacts set as sensors to turn lights on/off; no delay for me.

I also have then set with their ip in my configuration and sent static for dhcp. Only issue i have sometimes is when i restart ha the odd outdoor plug wont enable - usual to one more restart fixes it. Once they are online they are good.

2 dimmers; 4 3-ways; 4 normal and 3 outdoor;
Mine works great with them as well, but I can't use their status as an automation trigger without delay (do something after turning the switch on) as it seems their status doesn't instant update. My Lutron Caseta switches on the other hand are pretty much instant updates when I turn them on/off. The TPLink ones respond quickly to other triggers though (i.e. a door open/close sensor or motion sensor).
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1301 posts
451 upvotes
Ontario
bostonontario wrote: I agree! Awesome but just sure you have neutrals in the location. I recently made this mistake and had to return a 3 way and some dimmers.
I had the same problem and had to add Lutron Caseta devices to my ecosystem.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1301 posts
451 upvotes
Ontario
So I've got 2 Costco dimmers, a whole whack of Costco smart plugs (same brand as dimmers), 2 Lutron Caseta dimmers (because the switches I wanted them on didn't have neutral wires), and a whole whack of 3-way and single pole TP-Link switches and smart plugs, all connected to Alexa.

The most finicky ones are the Costco ones. Periodically I have to reset set them as they stop working via Alexa. TP-Link I've only had to reset when I ran out of slots on my wireless network and did something I should've done all along: split out two wireless networks - 2.4 GHz and 5GHz. TP-Link ones will work fine on 5GHz networks, where as the Costco ones I bought absolutely need to be on the 2.4 Ghz network.

The Lutron ones are a recent addition, but so far they've been solid.

That's been my experience so far.
Dec 21, 2012
389 posts
637 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I honestly like to use the the 3-way switch (HS210) even in single pole applications. There's only one wire that needs to be connected via marrettes on the HS210 vs all the wires on the HS200. It makes it easier to fit into the electrical box, especially if you are installing into a multigang switch box.
Apr 4, 2018
207 posts
136 upvotes
leafsfanatic wrote: If anyone is interested in using these with Home Assistant, know that they don't instantly report status changes. So if you turn one on, there can be a significant delay before the status change is sent to HA. I tried to link my basement lights with my porch lights like this, and would often end up downstairs in the dark before the status change was processed and the lights were turned on from the automation. But if you want to do everything through the Kasa app these are solid.
Weird I had them in my last house and it was instant, maybe your wifi signal is weak?