[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3870 posts
3970 upvotes
Alberta

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link Kasa Smart Outdoor Smart Plug $18.99

Amazon Deal of the Day

A new all time low price for a great outdoor smart plug. I already have 2 and couldn't resist ordering another at this price. Used one for 2 winters now in northern Alberta winters without a single issue. Each plug can be controlled individually. I'm deep in the Kasa ecosystem all connected and automated with SmartThings. Fantastic devices and they offer nearly every type of device you could need for automation and smart home upgrades.
Thread Summary
Looking for an indoor model? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best smart plugs!
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3507 posts
627 upvotes
Hamilton
Lush78 wrote: Amazon Deal of the Day

A new all time low price for a great outdoor smart plug. I already have 2 and couldn't resist ordering another at this price. Used one for 2 winters now in northern Alberta winters without a single issue. Each plug can be controlled individually. I'm deep in the Kasa ecosystem all connected and automated with SmartThings. Fantastic devices and they offer nearly every type of device you could need for automation and smart home upgrades.
I'm curious. What does smartthings enable you to do differently with these devices? I'm also deep into the kasa system with 20 devices currently, using the built in schedules as well as the voice controlled routines through Alexa.
Nov 22, 2017
27 posts
13 upvotes
Ordered yesterday, cancelled order, re-ordered at new price.

Thanks OP
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3870 posts
3970 upvotes
Alberta
adblink182 wrote: I'm curious. What does smartthings enable you to do differently with these devices? I'm also deep into the kasa system with 20 devices currently, using the built in schedules as well as the voice controlled routines through Alexa.
I have every light in my house automated. Over 100 hue lights across 2 hubs and the rest of my lights controlled by Kasa switches where it makes more sense like garage, laundry, pantry, closets, entrance chandelier, etc. All lights are controlled by 30+ motion sensors and several door contacts. Bathroom fans are also controlled by Kasa switches and sensors. I use a Kasa smart plug with a relay that I wired to control my fireplace. I have the outdoor plugs scheduled in SmartThings even though I could use the scheduling in the Kasa app simply because I use SmartThings as the hub of all my automation rules.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4265 posts
1691 upvotes
Parry Sound
adblink182 wrote: I'm curious. What does smartthings enable you to do differently with these devices? I'm also deep into the kasa system with 20 devices currently, using the built in schedules as well as the voice controlled routines through Alexa.
Same question. I have a bunch of Kasa products that I manage via Google Home.

What benefit does SmartThings bring?
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3870 posts
3970 upvotes
Alberta
MayorOfToronto wrote: Same question. I have a bunch of Kasa products that I manage via Google Home.

What benefit does SmartThings bring?
All my devices are also connected through Google home and I have many nest hubs, max hubs, and speakers in every room that work well for voice commands and viewing nest cameras and doorbell. But all my lighting is automated with sensors so there is no need to issue commands, touch switches or use apps.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
2655 posts
693 upvotes
Toronto
Lush78 wrote: I have every light in my house automated. Over 100 hue lights across 2 hubs and the rest of my lights controlled by Kasa switches where it makes more sense like garage, laundry, pantry, closets, entrance chandelier, etc. All lights are controlled by 30+ motion sensors and several door contacts. Bathroom fans are also controlled by Kasa switches and sensors. I use a Kasa smart plug with a relay that I wired to control my fireplace. I have the outdoor plugs scheduled in SmartThings even though I could use the scheduling in the Kasa app simply because I use SmartThings as the hub of all my automation rules.
which motion sensors and door contacts do you use?
I've tried the wyze ones but there seems to be some lag when detecting motion
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3870 posts
3970 upvotes
Alberta
ashihtaka wrote: which motion sensors and door contacts do you use?
All my sensors are SmartThings branded except for several hue motion sensors including their outdoor sensors.
Sep 22, 2007
97 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
I was hoping this would work for my outdoor lights, but I need something with a dimmer. Can anyone recommend a good outdoor dimmer?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3681 posts
2634 upvotes
Toronto
In my use case, I have the SmartThings Android Auto app and can use shortcuts for things. Like turning on outdoor lights or unlocking my door. In this case you could created a shortcut to trigger the Kasa plug through the SmartThings integration

Another example if I arrive home after sunset, my Ring doorbell triggers my Z-wave switch porch light to turn on. But you could have your outdoor Kasa plug triggered from a non Kasa device integrated with SmartThings.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4265 posts
1691 upvotes
Parry Sound
Philips' WiZ line has a motion sensor and will come out with a tag soon.

I think TP-Link's Kasa is also coming out with motion sensors and tags.

Both are Wi-Fi based... no z-wave or zigbee nonsense (personally hate these wireless standards)
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Jul 26, 2019
25 posts
93 upvotes
Does this have holes in the back to mount to screws coming out of a wall? I don’t want it to swing in the wind.

Thanks in advance.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6819 posts
6687 upvotes
Smartthings allows you to 'branch out' into other ecosystems.

Obviously you have the ZWave and Zigbee devices that you can access with a Smartthings hub, but you also get the benefit of a link to other devices.

For example, I have an Ecobee thermostat. Since it's linked to Smartthings, and my Kasa devices are linked to Smartthings, I can have one control the other. Something like if the temp on my ecobee reaches a certain value, I can turn on/off some device on the Kasa side.

Smartthings becomes the central hub, making you rather device agnostic. Buy a Zwave motion sensor? Have it control a Kasa light. Have a kasa light switch? Have it control a Zigbee device.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6819 posts
6687 upvotes
I use generic Zigbee based ones. Benefit of Smartthings is you have ALOT of options.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3507 posts
627 upvotes
Hamilton
Knotmee wrote: Does this have holes in the back to mount to screws coming out of a wall? I don’t want it to swing in the wind.

Thanks in advance.
No unfortunately it doesn't