• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2020 6:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4630 posts
2733 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link: Kasa Smart Plug $16.99

Keep in mind this is the 'lite' version, it's 10amp vs 15 amp....however you shouldn't plug anything crazy into smart plugs anyways just incase...

Perfect for lamps, room fans, battery chargers.

Not crazy hot deal as the regular smart plug can go for $35 for 2, but a decent deal and I was just installing some cabinet LED lights that would have been hard to switch on/off.
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 28th, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4594 posts
4655 upvotes
Vancouver
Do not buy this. A smart plug limited to 10 amps instead of the standard 15 amps that wall outlets are supposed to support is dangerous, and should not be allowed in Canada. Maybe you know about the limit when you buy it, but consider the first other household member or subsequent inheritor who is unaware of that and plugs in something that needs more than 10 amps, expecting it to work.
Feb 25, 2003
440 posts
237 upvotes
Vancouver
This has cUL listed certification. I trust this brand over lots of other chinezium ones out there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4630 posts
2733 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Do not buy this. A smart plug limited to 10 amps instead of the standard 15 amps that wall outlets are supposed to support is dangerous, and should not be allowed in Canada. Maybe you know about the limit when you buy it, but consider the first other household member or subsequent inheritor who is unaware of that and plugs in something that needs more than 10 amps, expecting it to work.
I have these in difficult spots, which is why i have smart plugs. I wouldn't be plugging anything demanding, the most would be a 9w LED lamp really.
Aug 14, 2009
397 posts
406 upvotes
BC
These do not do energy monitoring, correct?
Sep 30, 2011
90 posts
56 upvotes
I own two of these smart plugs, one with an electric oil heater, one with a humidifier. Paid $20/each from Staples. They work great, easily made schedules with the app, absolutely no issues.
I was concerned about the 10 amps limit for my heater but 10 amps covers it with no problems, all winter at full power.
Having a real cUL certification makes huge difference.
Dec 22, 2012
49 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
I would recommend the Kasa plugs. I am using the 15A version to automatically turn on my espresso machine in the morning. It's super reliable.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4630 posts
2733 upvotes
trendless wrote: These do not do energy monitoring, correct?
Do not. Only time on/off, you can do the math with that.
Apr 10, 2006
390 posts
195 upvotes
Did they just stop selling the 15amp version and priced this lower amperage one at the same price?
Jul 18, 2019
117 posts
57 upvotes
Ontario
SampahBau wrote: https://www.costco.ca/ce-smart-home-wi- ... 76838.html

It can handle up to 1875W, it means you can also use this to control your heater and comes with energy monitoring feature.
I have 6 of these costco one CE brand. 4 of these and 2 older smaller ones.

I use the older one (smaller version without energy monitoring) for my hot water appliance without any trouble for the past month.

Very easy to setup.

I trust Costco products. But I also have a few tplink from before controlling some lights and a monitor. Wouldn't mind both but Costco has free shipping and delivers pretty fast
May 8, 2002
812 posts
144 upvotes
mlerfd wrote: I have 6 of these costco one CE brand. 4 of these and 2 older smaller ones.

I use the older one (smaller version without energy monitoring) for my hot water appliance without any trouble for the past month.

Very easy to setup.

I trust Costco products. But I also have a few tplink from before controlling some lights and a monitor. Wouldn't mind both but Costco has free shipping and delivers pretty fast
How many apps do you use to control your plugs?