[Amazon.ca] TP-Link Tapo c200 Smart Cam Pan and tilt Home WiFi Camera $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 11:41 am
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1586 posts
639 upvotes
Center of the univer…
bhrm wrote: Such a missed opportunity. Seriously every manufacturer is failing at creating an unified smart home ecosystem, instead it's patchwork of Kasa, Wyze, IFTTT, Google Assistant, Nest for me...and lacking patience to fiddle with IFTTT more.
Yea I agree, at least you would expect TPLink to stick to one app for their own devices! We alreayd have to deal with multiple apps to control different things at home. Smartthings or other home automation hubs do a decent job bringing in everything but ive been having a hard time linking Kasa devices to smartthings as well.
Sep 12, 2006
173 posts
128 upvotes
scrubfordeals wrote: Anyone think this might be a cheap temporary option to keep inside the window pointing just outside the front door?
I've had a wyze outside for about 2 years, still working, located under eaves so it doesn't get hit by rain. Even if it dies, it's only $40 to replace.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4417 posts
2504 upvotes
awais wrote: Yea I agree, at least you would expect TPLink to stick to one app for their own devices! We alreayd have to deal with multiple apps to control different things at home. Smartthings or other home automation hubs do a decent job bringing in everything but ive been having a hard time linking Kasa devices to smartthings as well.
Their apps work well but....i have two different apps for TP-Link products, Tether, Kasa, adding a third under the same company is crazy.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3661 posts
3749 upvotes
Vancouver
bhrm wrote: Such a missed opportunity. Seriously every manufacturer is failing at creating an unified smart home ecosystem, instead it's patchwork of Kasa, Wyze, IFTTT, Google Assistant, Nest for me...and lacking patience to fiddle with IFTTT more.
Totally agree with that. The lack of common standards and integration is a total pain for home automation. I'm fed up with every supplier wanting me to add a new app for their individual device, and either failing to work with other automation services or constantly breaking the link to those services as they fiddle with their api.
Aug 21, 2017
30 posts
21 upvotes
N2K
Scote64 wrote: Totally agree with that. The lack of common standards and integration is a total pain for home automation. I'm fed up with every supplier wanting me to add a new app for their individual device, and either failing to work with other automation services or constantly breaking the link to those services as they fiddle with their api.
The big players have started to get their shit together, but it'll be a while before it gets into the market.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3661 posts
3749 upvotes
Vancouver
qwerpoiu wrote: The big players have started to get their shit together, but it'll be a while before it gets into the market.
I'm not optimistic. Google Nest are doing their best to close down external apis and force everyone to use only Google services. It doesn't bode well if the "big players" are more interested in controlling the space than supporting open standards.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1911 posts
449 upvotes
Mississauga
Sorry everyone changed op post to state that pan and tilt camera offer isn’t available anymore. Only non pan and tilt model c100 is still on sale.
Mar 14, 2006
434 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver
ManCaveGamer wrote: looking online they say for c200 it's video only for third party’s like NAS sw, no pan and tilt controls

any other cameras around this price with pan/tilt/1080p for controls with QNAP nas?
I went ahead and got the C200 with the coupon and got it today (gotta love that 1 day delivery even though I pretty much ordered it before midnight so its almost like same day).

I tested it out with my Synology Surveillance Station and even though it was not an officially supported device, it was easily found by the NAS through the IP (make sure you just reserve it on the router for the camera) and configured. Like mentioned, you won't have Pan or Tilt features from the NAS side of things but you will be able to record so I didn't bother putting an SD card in there. I can just use the Pan and Tilt through the Tapo App if needed.

Too bad the coupon is gone or else I would have bought another one. I might just pick up the non Pan and Tilt as I need another camera and I don't need it to move around anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
8715 posts
3671 upvotes
Toronto
Jet007 wrote: I went ahead and got the C200 with the coupon and got it today (gotta love that 1 day delivery even though I pretty much ordered it before midnight so its almost like same day).

I tested it out with my Synology Surveillance Station and even though it was not an officially supported device, it was easily found by the NAS through the IP (make sure you just reserve it on the router for the camera) and configured. Like mentioned, you won't have Pan or Tilt features from the NAS side of things but you will be able to record so I didn't bother putting an SD card in there. I can just use the Pan and Tilt through the Tapo App if needed.

Too bad the coupon is gone or else I would have bought another one. I might just pick up the non Pan and Tilt as I need another camera and I don't need it to move around anyways.
man, I really regret not getting one now... any similar cameras? is the non pan and tilt one good? i have a QNAP
Mar 14, 2006
434 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver
ManCaveGamer wrote: man, I really regret not getting one now... any similar cameras? is the non pan and tilt one good? i have a QNAP
As both QNAP and Synology has very similar apps for their cameras, I'm pretty sure it would work as well on the QNAP. I have both and I use the QNAP cameras for the cameras looking outside of the house and I just recently got this Synology one to play around with their software and do some remote backups eventually with it.

I'll pick up the non Pan and Tilt on that's still on sale and test it out on the QNAP next.
Apr 19, 2009
214 posts
89 upvotes
Can this camera be used for live video streaming? Can it be added as a source in OBS? Looking for the cheapest option to live stream my wedding
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
1816 posts
1248 upvotes
condo
How does this compare to the Wyze 2 wireless camera?
Sep 22, 2010
95 posts
43 upvotes
scrubfordeals wrote: Anyone think this might be a cheap temporary option to keep inside the window pointing just outside the front door?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing