Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

TP-Link Tapo Smart Home Security WiFi Camera, Records in 1080p for $26.99 @ Amazon

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2021 8:35 pm
[OP]
Jul 7, 2021
150 posts
663 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link Tapo Smart Home Security WiFi Camera, Records in 1080p for $26.99 @ Amazon

link https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Tapo-Secu ... B0866S3D82?

List Price: $39.99
Deal Price: $26.99
You Save: $13.00 (33%)
Images
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
40 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4657 posts
1652 upvotes
Vancity
Pretty good camera; video quality looks a bit better than a Wyzecam v2. I paid $30 it last year for the Tapo, and I've seen it as low as $25.
signature closed for renovation
Jul 7, 2010
80 posts
62 upvotes
This is the C100 so I'm not completely sure about it, but I have two of the C200 (with pan/tilt) and they support RTSP out of the box for local integration, which is a big feature IMO.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2018
1242 posts
3283 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Unfortunately, this isn’t a deal nor a great price. Sorry, OP.

We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
Apr 18, 2007
530 posts
376 upvotes
I bought these and were good for what they were. The huge downside to them is that you can't set static IP, so I returned them. Would have loved to keep using them otherwise.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4531 posts
4108 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Arcticsilverfox wrote: I bought these and were good for what they were. The huge downside to them is that you can't set static IP, so I returned them. Would have loved to keep using them otherwise.
Can't you set that up on the router?
Nov 13, 2020
86 posts
117 upvotes
Arcticsilverfox wrote: I bought these and were good for what they were. The huge downside to them is that you can't set static IP, so I returned them. Would have loved to keep using them otherwise.
I have both the C100 (this one in post) and the C200 (ptz version) and all of them can be set for static IP on my new mesh system, as well as previously on my old and very old routers. What are you talking about? lol
Feb 12, 2007
209 posts
80 upvotes
Maybe reserve the IP via DHCP on the router?
Nov 13, 2020
86 posts
117 upvotes
Thanks OP! I needed another one of these so glad to have caught the deal!
Apr 18, 2007
530 posts
376 upvotes
rugerty100 wrote: Can't you set that up on the router?
DMarkham wrote: I have both the C100 (this one in post) and the C200 (ptz version) and all of them can be set for static IP on my new mesh system, as well as previously on my old and very old routers. What are you talking about? lol
mindspring wrote: Maybe reserve the IP via DHCP on the router?

That's a bit different. The router still has to reserve that IP and assign it to the device. A connection between the camera and router must be established in order for that to even happen.

Setting it on the device itself means that it doesn't necessarily need to communicate with the router to receive an IP address, which at times can be necessary (for my case, cause the cameras are in their own VLAN and can't really communicate with anyone else except for one machine)
Nov 13, 2020
86 posts
117 upvotes
Arcticsilverfox wrote: That's a bit different. The router still has to reserve that IP and assign it to the device. A connection between the camera and router must be established in order for that to even happen.

Setting it on the device itself means that it doesn't necessarily need to communicate with the router to receive an IP address, which at times can be necessary (for my case, cause the cameras are in their own VLAN and can't really communicate with anyone else except for one machine)
Ah, agree. I don't know why companies are doing this, with cams, mesh systems, routers, etc. There should be a web UI with truly advance features such as directly setting the static IP. It feels like we are regressing in the day and age of mobile apps, making it too simple and taking away functionality that is actually useful for different customer scenarios. So sad.
Nov 13, 2020
86 posts
117 upvotes
What's cool about these Tapo C100 and C200 cams is the alarm siren can be triggered on motion detection. I don't think product description is clear but I love that feature. I don't think any other cams have it. Eufy cam have alarm siren but it can only be manually triggered in the app, if I am not mistaken.
Jul 13, 2020
133 posts
392 upvotes
I see mixed reviews and likes/dislikes (in this post).
Ordered one. Was looking for an indoor camera.
Let's see
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3086 posts
598 upvotes
Alberta
DMarkham wrote: What's cool about these Tapo C100 and C200 cams is the alarm siren can be triggered on motion detection. I don't think product description is clear but I love that feature. I don't think any other cams have it. Eufy cam have alarm siren but it can only be manually triggered in the app, if I am not mistaken.
I think Wyze can do this
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2225 posts
4796 upvotes
Markham
Anyone know if this device tries to "phone home"? Sort of interested but not if it occasionally sends data overseas.
Jan 24, 2011
604 posts
408 upvotes
Montreal
Motion detection is enough good?
-------------
Public Mobile : Unlimited talk and text, 2GB - 22$
Zoomer Wireless : Unlimited, 6 GB - 40$ (free P30 Lite, 100$ credit)
IVC Cable : 100/30M Videotron cable - 40$
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1876 posts
2299 upvotes
Hiesenberg wrote: This model supports RTSP too.
What's the purpose of this? I have Wyzecam. But always see people talking about RTSP. Would like to learn more about this thingie lol
Apr 18, 2007
530 posts
376 upvotes
simplypop wrote: What's the purpose of this? I have Wyzecam. But always see people talking about RTSP. Would like to learn more about this thingie lol
It's mostly for people who have their own local NVR (Network Video Recorder) and don't want their video feed being uploaded to an unknown cloud storage location. There is a pretty significant privacy issue as you have no idea where this feed is going to and how secure it actually is.

With RTSP, you can pass the video feed directly to a machine on your local network (such as with a program like Blue Iris) that will handle your surveillance needs and block the camera from contacting a cloud server. From there you can do whatever you want with it (Record it, store it, set up custom commands like alerting you with a push notification upon movement, email you a snapshot, etc.). Key is you have full control of your own video and where it is being stored.