Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

TP-Link TL-SG1005D 10/100/1000Mbps Port Gigabit Desktop Switch for $16.99

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2013
1568 posts
8942 upvotes
MILTON

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link TL-SG1005D 10/100/1000Mbps Port Gigabit Desktop Switch for $16.99

9K Jumbo frame improves performance of large data transfers; Non-blocking switching architecture that forwards and filters packets at full wire-speed for maximum throughput.
Energy efficient technology which saves up to 70% lower in power consumption.
5 Gigabit Auto-Negotiation RJ45 ports, Supports Auto MDI / MDIX. ; IEEE 802. 3x flow control provides reliable data transfer.
Plug and play no configuration required; Fanless design ensures quiet operation.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2018
7428 posts
25595 upvotes
This is the switch I have, it works great and looks good!
:)
Sep 26, 2013
183 posts
121 upvotes
Winnipeg
Looks like most of the TP-Link switches are on sale.
Aug 23, 2019
595 posts
447 upvotes
Dante19 wrote: What exactly does this do?
Think of it as like a power extension plug/strip but with internet/ethernet. So if you have lots of devices (PCs, consoles, smart TVs, android boxes, voip box together in one place you can reliably get them internet because wifi tends to be less reliable. But it'll need like a existing gateway (Hitrons from your ISP ) or a router gateway/hub thing to work.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7831 posts
8525 upvotes
Vancouver
Zarkey wrote: Think of it as like a power extension plug/strip but with internet/ethernet.
To further clarify:

An ethernet hub connects several ethernet devices to the same ethernet segment. It's basically an electrical connection. When one device is communicating, the others on the same cable segment are blocked.

An ethernet switch isolates each port on its own cable segment, and the smart switch buffers data packets and passes them back and forth between the uplink and each of the ports. The switch learns which devices are on which port, and two ports on the same switch can talk to each other via the switch without blocking the other ports or the rest of your ethernet network.

Switches are cheap and efficient for connecting multiple devices to the same ethernet network, so most people use a smart switch these days rather than a dumb hub to connect multiple devices. Your router with multiple ethernet ports acts as a switch.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2009
1419 posts
556 upvotes
London Area
If you can use a 5-port then I highly recommend spending the extra $3 to get the 8-port.

I think it's an established law of nature that if you purchase a 5-port because you only need 3 ports right now, you'll need 6 or 7 next week.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2572 posts
1033 upvotes
Richmond, ON
Jonstar1 wrote: If you can use a 5-port then I highly recommend spending the extra $3 to get the 8-port.

I think it's an established law of nature that if you purchase a 5-port because you only need 3 ports right now, you'll need 6 or 7 next week.
agreed!! I have the 8 port switch and only have 1 port remaining, I may need to jump on the 16 port one next.
if you don't ask, the answer is always NO!
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1340 posts
997 upvotes
GTA
What's the consensus on these; is the metal case better than plastic?
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Jul 20, 2011
321 posts
311 upvotes
GTA
ndiniwachojeff wrote: What's the consensus on these; is the metal case better than plastic?
I believe the metal case handle the heat better than plastic, if you have heavy load lasting for long time, choose the metal case, it also looks more like a high end switch.
Aug 23, 2019
595 posts
447 upvotes
ndiniwachojeff wrote: What's the consensus on these; is the metal case better than plastic?
Warranty time IIRC and that it looks sturdy so YMMV if you value those.

Also yea the 8 port for under $20 is a solid deal, nothing crazy hot though since you're saving 4/5 bucks really.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11580 posts
3971 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have both neither get very warm for home use to merit. my principle switch now is just a plastic one. My previous 2x 5 ports sit at media centers.
Oct 22, 2006
444 posts
31 upvotes
Gloucester
Does it transfer power over Ethernet as well? I’d like to send power to some cameras using a PoE switch / hub. I don’t have a need for data transfer.
Jul 20, 2011
321 posts
311 upvotes
GTA
charoo wrote: Does it transfer power over Ethernet as well? I’d like to send power to some cameras using a PoE switch / hub. I don’t have a need for data transfer.
No. PoE switch is much expensive probably $80 or so with 4 PoE ports and another non-PoE ports.
Apr 12, 2013
718 posts
668 upvotes
BC
Jonstar1 wrote: I think it's an established law of nature that if you purchase a 5-port because you only need 3 ports right now, you'll need 6 or 7 next week.
This! Started with 5 port, bought a 16 port and already found I will need more and not even installed it yet! 4k video is way better over cables.

There's a nice 128 port switch on Amazon for $6409......
https://www.amazon.ca/10508-128port-Ene ... ics&sr=1-4