Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

TP-Link TL-SG108 8-Port 10/100/1000Mbps Desktop Gigabit Steel Cased Switch, IEEE 802.1p QoS

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 3:01 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1704 posts
887 upvotes
knapper wrote: Same, I don't understand why cables coming out of both sides would be desirable.
To use in a network rack where power comes in from the back and all data cables are at the front. You rarely need to touch power once installed but need to work with cables more often.
Buy now
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7597 posts
4408 upvotes
Toronto
Paulie1RFD wrote: Yes exactly that. Or hook up more equipment in the home.
So this would be for wired connections only? Since this switch is in one place, that means you gotta run ethernet cables all going here? So are the devices that are plugged into it usually all in the same room?
Jul 24, 2005
391 posts
535 upvotes
GTA
fightbriz wrote: So this would be for wired connections only? Since this switch is in one place, that means you gotta run ethernet cables all going here? So are the devices that are plugged into it usually all in the same room?
wired yes, but keep in mind you can plug wireless access points into this for distribution
no not all devices need to be in the same room
think of it as a distribution point, you could have multiple of these spread out in a house depending on where you needs are to plug things in
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7597 posts
4408 upvotes
Toronto
2kaccordcoupe wrote: wired yes, but keep in mind you can plug wireless access points into this for distribution
no not all devices need to be in the same room
think of it as a distribution point, you could have multiple of these spread out in a house depending on where you needs are to plug things in
Ok but all these switches still need to run back by ethernet cable back to the internet modem right?
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2972 posts
867 upvotes
fizz1234 wrote: To use in a network rack where power comes in from the back and all data cables are at the front. You rarely need to touch power once installed but need to work with cables more often.
Makes sense, I just don't think of a consumer switch and rack at the same time. From my limited experience with racks, I don't see this switch mounting in one, but I can easily be wrong.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1554 posts
1214 upvotes
QuinteWest
fightbriz wrote: Ok but all these switches still need to run back by ethernet cable back to the internet modem right?
Correct. Its wired, so has to all connect at this unit. All the items connected don't need to be in same room. In my case it is, because its entertainment stuff I am connecting. TV, Tablo, gaming console, etc.

Here is the diagram from the user guide.
Images
  • 20210825_132502.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1303 posts
555 upvotes
MARKHAM
Very good switch, I have it running on everything wired at home. 3 Asus Routers for dedicated AiMesh and a CCTV system. No issues for the past year.
The better deal now than it was when it was on sale at CC.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7597 posts
4408 upvotes
Toronto
Paulie1RFD wrote: Correct. Its wired, so has to all connect at this unit. All the items connected don't need to be in same room. In my case it is, because its entertainment stuff I am connecting. TV, Tablo, gaming console, etc.

Here is the diagram from the user guide.
So if your modem is on first floor, and you need a switch on third floor, you run an ethernet cable all the way from modem up to third floor? Or do you fish it between the walls and you actually have an ethernet wall outlet that you can plug the switch to via ethernet cable?
Feb 21, 2013
286 posts
79 upvotes
Montréal
I see 23.99 where do you save 20$ ?????
Jul 24, 2005
391 posts
535 upvotes
GTA
fightbriz wrote: So if your modem is on first floor, and you need a switch on third floor, you run an ethernet cable all the way from modem up to third floor? Or do you fish it between the walls and you actually have an ethernet wall outlet that you can plug the switch to via ethernet cable?
for the sake of this discussion yes you need a wire, how it's get from a to b is up to you
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7597 posts
4408 upvotes
Toronto
2kaccordcoupe wrote: for the sake of this discussion yes you need a wire, how it's get from a to b is up to you
How about via a wireless router? :P
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1554 posts
1214 upvotes
QuinteWest
fightbriz wrote: So if your modem is on first floor, and you need a switch on third floor, you run an ethernet cable all the way from modem up to third floor? Or do you fish it between the walls and you actually have an ethernet wall outlet that you can plug the switch to via ethernet cable?
Yes.... Google is your friend.

I myself use powerline adapters between wireless router (in main floor bedroom) and next connection in the finished basement. Might not be for everyone, but works well for me. Again, google search is a great resource for home networking. Pick best one that suits your needs or build in some flexibility like I did. Wireless router, powerline adapters and this 8 port hub. I could probably "fish" cabling but I don't have all the right tools. The powerline adapters made it easy. Wasn't cheap, but I recently moved and was able to plug and play all the equipment I already had from old house into my newer home. This hub was nice cheap addition to replace a 5 port hub I had.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)