Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link WiFi Range Extender TL-WA850RE (N Speed) - 14.99

[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11381 posts
2354 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link WiFi Range Extender TL-WA850RE (N Speed) - 14.99

Only N speed, but it's $15 bucks. Cheaper than setting up a old router and use it as a extender

Deal of the day

300Mbps Wireless Speed – Range Extender mode boosts wireless signal to previously unreachable or hard-to-wire areas flawlessly
Intelligent Signal Light – Helps to determine the best location for optimal Wi-Fi coverage by indicating the signal strength in the current placement
Easy Setup – Miniature size and wall-mounted design make it easy to deploy and move flexibly
Fast Ethernet Port – allows the Extender to function as a wireless adapter to connect wired devices
TP-Link Tether App – Easily access and manage your network using any iOS or Android mobile device
Last edited by sexyj on Jan 23rd, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9074 posts
1808 upvotes
Toronto
2.4ghz only unfortunately. That frequency is so congested extending it might not be worthwhile.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1232 posts
901 upvotes
chinesedevil wrote: 2.4ghz only unfortunately. That frequency is so congested extending it might not be worthwhile.
If you want to use this to extend to all your smart switches and plugs it will take the load off your 'real' network

I already did this with an extender and changed the SSID and have ALL my switches, plugs, lights, echo infrastructure etc running off it. Totally cleared up my connect issues.

I was having issues with some switches dropping connection.

Now everything else connects to 5ghz and the main router 2.4 ghz is dedicated to the extender. This worked for me.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9074 posts
1808 upvotes
Toronto
MexicanPeso wrote: If you want to use this to extend to all your smart switches and plugs it will take the load off your 'real' network

I already did this with an extender and changed the SSID and have ALL my switches, plugs, lights, echo infrastructure etc running off it. Totally cleared up my connect issues.

Now everything else connects to 5ghz and the main router 2.4 ghz is dedicated to the extender. This worked for me.
True, cheaper IoT devices prob have 2.4ghz restrictions.
Sep 4, 2014
583 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MexicanPeso wrote: If you want to use this to extend to all your smart switches and plugs it will take the load off your 'real' network

Exactly! It's great and tbh the range on this tiny guy blew my mind lol
Mar 20, 2019
102 posts
264 upvotes
I ordered used ones fulfilled by amazon for $11 each, there's 2 left if someone can grab
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
1718 posts
765 upvotes
Anyone know if the ethernet can be used to connect directly to the router, and have the wireless extended via this device?
I need something that can do that.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3626 posts
3785 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP!

Been watching this one for a while, never went under $19.99 before

Good reviews, surprisingly, and nice basic features! Will get it now...
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3626 posts
3785 upvotes
Vancouver
razrsharp wrote: Anyone know if the ethernet can be used to connect directly to the router, and have the wireless extended via this device?
No. Not this model.

It's Ethernet port is used to connect device without wireless adapter to the router wirelessly only - like desktop to the router. Not to be connected directly to the router.

But any cheap-o router or AP [even used one that you can grab off of the friends who upgraded] would work in your scenario.
Last edited by max011 on Jan 23rd, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11381 posts
2354 upvotes
Never mind.. can't connect to router
ETHERNET: One 10/100Mbps RJ45 Ethernet port used to add wireless connectivity to an
Ethernet-enabled device such as Internet TV, DVR, Gaming console and so on. Please note
that this port is not allowed to be connected with router or AP.
https://www.mironet.cz/Files/TL-WA850RE_V1.2_UG_EU.pdf
razrsharp wrote: Anyone know if the ethernet can be used to connect directly to the router, and have the wireless extended via this device?
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11381 posts
2354 upvotes
Here is a emulator of what the device's management page

https://emulator.tp-link.com/tl-wa850re ... tml#lanAdv
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3626 posts
3785 upvotes
Vancouver
sexyj wrote: Yes, you should be able to set it to AP mode

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1143/
Yes, it could be used as AP, BUT - as per user manual - not in his scenario. Ethernet port [which is only 10/100Mbps unfortunately!] is device extension only, not router's...

I'm afraid your example is not for this particular chipoo model...
Jan 24, 2013
240 posts
864 upvotes
MILTON
chinesedevil wrote: 2.4ghz only unfortunately. That frequency is so congested extending it might not be worthwhile.
That is OK, majority of smart home devices only work with 2.4ghz anyways.