Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

TP-Link Wireless Access Point EAP110-Outdoor ($49.99)

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2021 4:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link Wireless Access Point EAP110-Outdoor ($49.99)

Was looking for a good deal for an exterior grade access point to reach the far corner of my property. This seems solid. You can also get $5 extra off if you pick up their used one but it does say major damage so I decided to get a new one.
51 replies
Jr. Member
Sep 18, 2007
111 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
Wireless N300, don't expect great speeds
Koodo $40/11GB (6GB + 5GB Bonus)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
dsforsaken wrote: Wireless N300, don't expect great speeds
yep, and I would never need anything beyond that when I am outside. just webex, calls, chat etc. 100-300mbps is perfect.
Sr. Member
Apr 1, 2013
985 posts
2022 upvotes
Fredericton
elfion wrote: yep, and I would never need anything beyond that when I am outside. just webex, calls, chat etc. 100-300mbps is perfect.
I have the device outside. Standing next to it the speed never goes above 50 Mbps on speedtest. Don't expect to get the full advertised speeds on a single device. That's total bandwidth for multiple devices.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1260 posts
843 upvotes
Québec
elfion wrote: Was looking for a good deal for an exterior grade access point to reach the far corner of my property. This seems solid. You can also get $5 extra off if you pick up their used one but it does say major damage so I decided to get a new one.
If you have a window near, better spend 20$ more and choose the EAP225 (AC1350).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
elgros4 wrote: If you have a window near, better spend 20$ more and choose the EAP225 (AC1350).
not sure what you mean. I need an outdoor access point. not indoor. EAP225-Outdoor is not $20 more. it's 113.65. So that's 128.42-56.49=72 dollars more.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2489 posts
3503 upvotes
GTA
elfion wrote: not sure what you mean. I need an outdoor access point. not indoor. EAP225-Outdoor is not $20 more. it's 113.65. So that's 128.42-56.49=72 dollars more.
He means putting an indoor EAP225 for $70 near a window. ymmv if this meets your needs.

Personally I don't think an N300 AP is a deal anymore at any price, even free. That tech is just too old. But if it works for you, go for it.
Don't forget the lightning protection you need with outdoor APs, plus the outdoor rated cabling. If you're putting it into a sheltered location (e.g. under eaves) where you don't think you need the lightning protection and outdoor cabling, I would again look at just dropping an "indoor" unit into that place, like an EAP225 for $70.

I have a couple of EAP225-Outdoor I need to install when it's again warm out. They will be going out into the middle of the yards on posts, so I need to bury cable, install lightning protection at both ends and use the expensive outdoor/underground cabling. All that will cost a lot more than the APs for which I paid about $84 each.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
life359 wrote: I have the device outside. Standing next to it the speed never goes above 50 Mbps on speedtest. Don't expect to get the full advertised speeds on a single device. That's total bandwidth for multiple devices.
I am absolutely shocked by your comment. I will do a speed test as soon as I get it and if what you are saying is true I will return the device. are you absolutely sure you don't have issues on your network? are you running a CAT6 cable or better? are you running it parallel to a power line? is your switch gigabit? have you tried measuring the speed by plugging in a computer instead of the AP?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2489 posts
3503 upvotes
GTA
elfion wrote: I am absolutely shocked by your comment. I will do a speed test as soon as I get it and if what you are saying is true I will return the device. are you absolutely sure you don't have issues on your network? are you running a CAT6 cable or better? are you running it parallel to a power line? is your switch gigabit? have you tried measuring the speed by plugging in a computer instead of the AP?
that sounds about right (a bit high, but you said for multiple devices) for N300. actual speed is always a fraction of "wifi PHY speed".
50Mbps on N300 is actually pretty good.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
karlb wrote: He means putting an indoor EAP225 for $70 near a window. ymmv if this meets your needs.
I wouldn't be buying an outdoor AP if I didn't need one. I can't use an indoor AP. I need it mounted in the middle of my property far away from all structures. I don't really need a lighting protection, there is a humongous tree right next to the point where I need the AP. but I can ground it very easily if I want to. take a wire, attach it to the AP, stick a big nail in the ground. done. I also may not really need outdoor cable either because I am hoping I can run it away from the sun. but if I do end up needing an outdoor cable, that's a problem I will have to face regardless of which outdoor AP I pick.

as far as this device not being adequate or up to date, until recently I have been using 100mbps routers at home and my internet was 100mbps. and I was totally fine. now I have 900mbps. but I still don't don't need to pay more than double the money for speeds over 200mbps in a forest. it's just not necessary.

to be totally honest I have very hard time believing this AP caps out at 50mbps as reported above.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
karlb wrote: 50Mbps on N300 is actually pretty good.
I guess we will find out soon enough. I will test and report back.
Sr. Member
Nov 14, 2008
833 posts
291 upvotes
elfion wrote: not sure what you mean. I need an outdoor access point. not indoor. EAP225-Outdoor is not $20 more. it's 113.65. So that's 128.42-56.49=72 dollars more.
the eAP225 is also on sale $70
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3288 posts
2041 upvotes
Mississauga
To me, it looks like you have made up your mind that this is what you need, so go for it. But it is not a deal by any standard. Any wireless N router/AP is a landfill item in 2021.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote: But it is not a deal by any standard.
can you please share any other outdoor grade AP that was sold anywhere close to $50 in the last few months?
Jr. Member
Aug 26, 2010
101 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
elfion wrote: can you please share any other outdoor grade AP that was sold anywhere close to $50 in the last few months?
If you're going through the trouble of setting up an outdoor AP then don't sour on prices. That's the best advice that anyone can give you. You get what you pay for when it comes to network equipment.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3288 posts
2041 upvotes
Mississauga
elfion wrote: can you please share any other outdoor grade AP that was sold anywhere close to $50 in the last few months?
It is not a matter of finding an outdoor AP close to 50$. Wireless AC itself is now at least 6-7 years old tech at this point. Wireless B/G/N is honestly ancient.
Just because something is cheap, does not make it worthy. Would you buy a computer with old Celeron (back from 2000s) processors in 2021? No, right?

Again, if you are convinced that this product suits your needs and is best given your situation, go for it. Just don't pass it as a deal, because it is not.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
Smokecell wrote: If you're going through the trouble of setting up an outdoor AP then don't sour on prices.
I don't see why I wouldn't care about not paying more than double for something I don't need.
Smokecell wrote: You get what you pay for when it comes to network equipment.
completely not true. a few years ago I got an expensive samsung mesh system that was total garbage, then I got a few MI-3 routers from china $50 each. they worked like a charm.

OK so just to be clear, you are not aware of any better deals ever on outdoor APs?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote: Just don't pass it as a deal, because it is not.
but it is a deal though. there are absoltely no other outdoor APs that I have seen anywhere around this price point. and 200mbps which is what I am hoping to get out of it is totally acceptable for an outdoor application. it doesn't matter how many years old the model is. PAP2-T is maybe 15 years old, I still use them all the time, they are cheap and get the job done.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3288 posts
2041 upvotes
Mississauga
elfion wrote: but it is a deal though. there are absoltely no other outdoor APs that I have seen anywhere around this price point. and 200mbps which is what I am hoping to get out of it is totally acceptable for an outdoor application. it doesn't matter how many years old the model is. PAP2-T is maybe 15 years old, I still use them all the time, they are cheap and get the job done.
Ok. :)

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)