Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

TP-Link Wireless Access Point EAP110-Outdoor ($49.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2021 4:19 pm
Aug 25, 2011
169 posts
244 upvotes
BURLINGTON
elfion wrote: Was looking for a good deal for an exterior grade access point to reach the far corner of my property. This seems solid. You can also get $5 extra off if you pick up their used one but it does say major damage so I decided to get a new one.
I have three of these. I think the downvoters are downvoting the technology, rather than the product. For me, it was an inexpensive way to get around obstacles (a garage with aluminum siding). I did one as cheaply as possible - laying wire on the ground and reeling it in for winter, and another proper insulation with a trench and burial grade cable. If you are going to to spend $500 plus for trenching and a cable, it makes no sense to cheap out on the eap. That was my thinking. I thought I would end up replacing this one with a ubiquiti at $300 +. However, for my use. This one has been fine. We can zoom and watch videos on tablets and my son can work from the cabin. At $50 including the poe injector (I am assuming it is still included) I would give it some consideration.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1020 posts
657 upvotes
Toronto
elfion wrote: I wouldn't be buying an outdoor AP if I didn't need one. I can't use an indoor AP. I need it mounted in the middle of my property far away from all structures. I don't really need a lighting protection, there is a humongous tree right next to the point where I need the AP. but I can ground it very easily if I want to. take a wire, attach it to the AP, stick a big nail in the ground. done. I also may not really need outdoor cable either because I am hoping I can run it away from the sun. but if I do end up needing an outdoor cable, that's a problem I will have to face regardless of which outdoor AP I pick.

as far as this device not being adequate or up to date, until recently I have been using 100mbps routers at home and my internet was 100mbps. and I was totally fine. now I have 900mbps. but I still don't don't need to pay more than double the money for speeds over 200mbps in a forest. it's just not necessary.

to be totally honest I have very hard time believing this AP caps out at 50mbps as reported above.
How far away is this property to your nearest structure? What is the coverage do you need?

Even this is a N 300mbps, it limits to 100mbps at the ethernet port. Then factors in environmental condition, you will be probably getting much lower than 100bmps usable speed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
Inclemental wrote: How far away is this property to your nearest structure? What is the coverage do you need?

Even this is a N 300mbps, it limits to 100mbps at the ethernet port.
you're saying they have a 100mbps port on a 300mbps AP? that's crazy. the AP is about 40 feet away from the house, 15 feet from a metal shed, and the coverage I need around it is about 100 feet.
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12006 posts
14439 upvotes
Toronto
elfion wrote: you're saying they have a 100mbps port on a 300mbps AP? that's crazy. the AP is about 40 feet away from the house, 15 feet from a metal shed, and the coverage I need around it is about 100 feet.
tp-link specifications for this says "Interface
1× Fast Ethernet (RJ-45) Port (Support Passive PoE)"

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/business-net ... 0-outdoor/
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2513 posts
2402 upvotes
Toronto
elfion wrote: you're saying they have a 100mbps port on a 300mbps AP? that's crazy. the AP is about 40 feet away from the house, 15 feet from a metal shed, and the coverage I need around it is about 100 feet.
Dhanushan wrote: tp-link specifications for this says "Interface
1× Fast Ethernet (RJ-45) Port (Support Passive PoE)"

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/business-net ... 0-outdoor/
its on the amazon page, but if you want to check/confirm on the datasheet
https://static.tp-link.com/upload/produ ... asheet.pdf

Ethernet Port:
1 x 10/100Mbps Ethernet Port
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2529 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA
elfion wrote: you're saying they have a 100mbps port on a 300mbps AP? that's crazy...

Yes, 10/100 as shown in the picture below:
TP Link EAP110 Outdoor AP.jpg
¸

- - - - -
;)
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11155 posts
3523 upvotes
Winnipeg
yes its just basic 10/100 lan on the port. If its only for checking your phone and quick google searches etc these are fine for acreage properties. If its to support higher streaming purposes for farms/lots outdoors and more active users the eap225 works better.

Remember these are by design to actually work better a little further away than right next to it as that's conducive to the style of attenuation for the antennas. Its out an away thus weaker at points directly under and over for dipole. For example if you put this at the peak of your house. Its gonna be weaker right under it but much stronger 40ft away direct line of site. These things can travel signal well if up high enough and little in the way.
elfion wrote: eAP225-Outdoor? can you please share a link?
its 69.99 usd in the states so they must have mixed up the .com from .ca
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
lead wrote: yes its just basic 10/100 lan on the port.
ok now everything is finally starting to make sense. this is what must be bottlenecking the speed on this device then.

it is amazing how many people above keep talking about indoor access points. this is a conversation about a deal on an outdoor AP. outdoor. not indoor. outdoor. yes. need outdoor. no, indoor will not work. yes, outdoor is needed.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7227 upvotes
Just 40feet away from the house? That's nothing....

And you need 100feet radius coverage.

The issue here is range...not so much as an outdoor requirement. (The outdoor requirement is a mitigation of the poor range from / if placed indoor).
Last edited by chatbox on Dec 8th, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11155 posts
3523 upvotes
Winnipeg
elfion wrote: ok now everything is finally starting to make sense. this is what must be bottlenecking the speed on this device then.

it is amazing how many people above keep talking about indoor access points. this is a conversation about a deal on an outdoor AP. outdoor. not indoor. outdoor. yes. need outdoor. no, indoor will not work. yes, outdoor is needed.
the outdoor-eap225 from the states might be the better option than the outdoor-eap225 from .ca if one can guarantee it comes with "US" firmware. The "US" firmware offers more dfs channels than the canadian version allows for outdoor usage. Canada doesn't allow for channel 36-48 for outdoor.

You can't flash the "us" firmware to the ca versions they are region locked to comply with the local regulations and laws.
Feb 25, 2006
291 posts
391 upvotes
Calgary
Hey guys, I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet but I use an indoor AP for an outdoor AP.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4168 posts
3382 upvotes
Toronto
I bought one of these at the $49 price back in August, to provide an AP to my neighbour up at the cottage. I was hampered by not using the right ethernet cable though - need solid copper UTP for this kind of thing.

Speed wasn't an issue as I'm running on a 25MBPS wireless rural internet service from Bell. Next spring I'll run a proper outdoor ethernet cable 200+ feet out towards his property and stick it on a tree for him.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2489 posts
3503 upvotes
GTA
elfion wrote: ok now everything is finally starting to make sense. this is what must be bottlenecking the speed on this device then.
No, N300 can never hit 100Mbps of throughput. Don't confuse the wifi PHY speed (N300 in this case) with actual throughput speed you would see (far less than 100Mbps; 50Mbps would be pretty good on N300 in real use).
Google will reveal the reasons why, including 802.11 being half-duplex (the biggest reason), needing to use CDMA/CA to prevent collisions, ACKs, etc.
Here's one example (scroll down for the answers): https://networkengineering.stackexchang ... ifi-speeds

That link should also help anybody who has wondered why they never get the speed shown on the side of the shiny new router they just bought, including the latest WIFI 6.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1514 posts
986 upvotes
chatbox wrote: The issue here is range...not so much as an outdoor requirement. (The outdoor requirement is a mitigation of the poor range from / if placed indoor).
no, it is not. the outdoor requirement is due to the topology of the space that needs to be covered. if I install an AP indoors then 90% of the area that needs to be covered will be separated by a hill. I'm not sure how else to say this but I am looking for an outdoor AP because I need an outdoor AP.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1269 posts
888 upvotes
Mississauga
elfion wrote: Was looking for a good deal for an exterior grade access point to reach the far corner of my property. This seems solid. You can also get $5 extra off if you pick up their used one but it does say major damage so I decided to get a new one.
it works fine for stuff you would do outside not the latest tech but its fine for browsing , videos, etc
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1020 posts
657 upvotes
Toronto
With 100ft coverage, this AP will provide usable speed for a few users. You can stream 1080 content without much problem since many apps runs on buffer, but Live Stream will suffer. Get shielded outdoor CAT5e as CAT6 gives you no benefit. Nevertheless, you need to ground your AP. Get a 4-6ft ground rod and stick it 3 feet deep and connect it to the AP.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2489 posts
3503 upvotes
GTA
Inclemental wrote: Nevertheless, you need to ground your AP. Get a 4-6ft ground rod and stick it 3 feet deep and connect it to the AP.
There is no ground connection on the TP-Link outdoor EAPs anymore, only via the shielded Ethernet cable.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11155 posts
3523 upvotes
Winnipeg
kingpin748 wrote: Hey guys, I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet but I use an indoor AP for an outdoor AP.

Thanks
you do use an indoor out doors?
or can you use an indoor outdoors?

sure you could but it has no weather protection it''ll die in the rain or snow and degrade with uv nor would arguably run over poe for proper placement.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7227 upvotes
elfion wrote: no, it is not. the outdoor requirement is due to the topology of the space that needs to be covered. if I install an AP indoors then 90% of the area that needs to be covered will be separated by a hill. I'm not sure how else to say this but I am looking for an outdoor AP because I need an outdoor AP.
Ah... No hill was previously mentioned.

100ft radius...how much of a hill can it be? Anyway, you know what you need.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1245 posts
1104 upvotes
Upvote for the OP. Next to the $500 candle guy, I haven't seen anyone take a beating over a deal recommendation like he has, and he's still standing firm.

Good on you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)