Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

TP-Link Wireless Access Point EAP110-Outdoor ($49.99)

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2021 4:19 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1619 posts
1495 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Upvoted as well.

I think people are generally trying to be helpful, but as usual, you need to ask questions before making sweeping assumptions.

I see nothing wrong with this use case. Just shocked there aren't that many viable and affordable alternatives.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
11182 posts
3542 upvotes
Winnipeg
b31770 wrote: Upvoted as well.

I think people are generally trying to be helpful, but as usual, you need to ask questions before making sweeping assumptions.

I see nothing wrong with this use case. Just shocked there aren't that many viable and affordable alternatives.
the last outdoor eap225 deal was 80 bucks last may that's it.Mostly hovers around 100 or more There hasn't been great deals on cpe or outdoor ap's in years. The prices have been regular or inflated and much more than the usual even before covid. I paid 70 for eap225 out-door and had to wait along time to grab one at that price and basically figured its not happening. That was around 2 years ago.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1520 posts
988 upvotes
chatbox wrote: how much of a hill can it be? Anyway, you know what you need.
I suppose it's less of a hill, more or a cliff. In any case, yes, I do need an outdoor AP :) and there seems to be no other faster option anywhere close to this price point.
Newbie
Apr 7, 2011
63 posts
17 upvotes
halifax
torontotim wrote: I bought one of these at the $49 price back in August, to provide an AP to my neighbour up at the cottage. I was hampered by not using the right ethernet cable though - need solid copper UTP for this kind of thing.

Speed wasn't an issue as I'm running on a 25MBPS wireless rural internet service from Bell. Next spring I'll run a proper outdoor ethernet cable 200+ feet out towards his property and stick it on a tree for him.
If you are looking at sharing internet with your neighbor this maybe a better solution. I'm not saying buying this particular one but these devices work great. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32694536163.html

I have this one https://www.engeniustech.com/engenius-p ... ge-enh202/ and on the other side they are getting about 90Mbps down and they have 2 kids.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4196 posts
3408 upvotes
Toronto
Teke wrote: If you are looking at sharing internet with your neighbor this maybe a better solution. I'm not saying buying this particular one but these devices work great. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32694536163.html

I have this one https://www.engeniustech.com/engenius-p ... ge-enh202/ and on the other side they are getting about 90Mbps down and they have 2 kids.
Mine is pretty simple - I'm just tossing a POE AP out there that will be in range for them. We're both off-grid, but I have a solar system/batteries and can power the thing no problem. Our cottages are about 250 feet apart, so I should be able to run the AP out close enough to his place for him to get connected to it and I should be able to use it while outdoors as well.

When I bought mine, I bought a pre-made 150 foot ethernet cable, but I didn't know at the time I needed UTP for proper POE. So I'm going to buy a spool of proper outdoor UTP ethernet cable and make a cable for this application and replace the 20 year old CAT5 I put on the side of my 100 year old brick house in Toronto that has failed, and run a cable out to my detached garage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1520 posts
988 upvotes
OK so I finally received the device.
Good: Quality looks great, management portal looks great, range is good enough for my purposes
Bad: the speed is terrible, no support for 802.3af which means have to use the included PoE injector, can't use active PoE switch

Speed when I stand close to the AP is 40-45 mbps
Speed when I am 50-70 ft away is 25-30 mbps

So I guess I will be returning this little guy and looking for a deal on a EAP225-Outdoor. 25mbps is just not going to cut it unfortunately :(
Last edited by elfion on Dec 9th, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1520 posts
988 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Mine is pretty simple - I'm just tossing a POE AP out there that will be in range for them. We're both off-grid, but I have a solar system/batteries and can power the thing no problem. Our cottages are about 250 feet apart, so I should be able to run the AP out close enough to his place for him to get connected to it and I should be able to use it while outdoors as well.

When I bought mine, I bought a pre-made 150 foot ethernet cable, but I didn't know at the time I needed UTP for proper POE. So I'm going to buy a spool of proper outdoor UTP ethernet cable and make a cable for this application and replace the 20 year old CAT5 I put on the side of my 100 year old brick house in Toronto that has failed, and run a cable out to my detached garage.
in case you haven't tried, crimping ethernet cables is easy as long as you buy a proper cable, pass through connector and preferably a nice crimper. I learned this the hard way, spent about 10 hours trying to crimp a thin ga wire into a non-pass through RJ45 :(
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1467 posts
820 upvotes
GTA
elfion wrote: OK so I finally received the device.
Good: Quality looks great, management portal looks great, range is good enough for my purposes
Bad: the speed is terrible, no support for 802.3af which means have to use the included PoE injector, can't use active PoE switch

Speed when I stand close to the AP is 40-45 mbps
Speed when I am 50-70 ft away is 25-30 mbps

So I guess I will be returning this little guy and looking for a deal on a EAP225-Outdoor. 25mbps is just not going to cut it unfortunately :(
As an IT guy, this is your expected speeds. N300 can only really deliver an average of 30-50 mbps. AC can deliver up to 200-300mbps.

This whole confusion is a lot worse for people paying for gigabit speeds and expect to get gigabit wifi speeds as well, when their high end laptop only gets 300mbps due to wifi limitations (which is what they are rated at).

A reminder that 100Mbps is equal to 1MBps, which you'll see in windows.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1520 posts
988 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote: AC can deliver up to 200-300mbps.
my rogers modem wifi gets me a real speed of 380Mbps on my phone when I am sitting a couple of meters away. This is internet. I haven't tested local, but I think it would be similar since the internet connection is pushing about 800Mbps over ethernet.
MadCanadian wrote: A reminder that 100Mbps is equal to 1MBps, which you'll see in windows.
what do you mean? 100Mbps is 100 begabits per second. 1MBps = 1 megabyte per second = 8 megabits per second. So 8, not 100.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1467 posts
820 upvotes
GTA
elfion wrote: my rogers modem wifi gets me a real speed of 380Mbps on my phone when I am sitting a couple of meters away. This is internet. I haven't tested local, but I think it would be similar since the internet connection is pushing about 800Mbps over ethernet.
Well I kept that number low because no one really sits next to the modem all the time, so you get that lower range.
elfion wrote: what do you mean? 100Mbps is 100 begabits per second. 1MBps = 1 megabyte per second = 8 megabits per second. So 8, not 100.
Well I was wrong in the moving the decimal over to generalize the rates but more than enough people don't care but when they see 100 Mbps on the Rogers sales page being turned into less than 12.5 MB/s on their computer, they start complaining like crazy (source from my Rogers installer).

You were uninformed about this device delivering 300Mbps when everyone in this thread told you that you are going to see 50Mbps.

I know you are already flamed by like 10 people now, so mistakes were learnt.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1520 posts
988 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote: Well I kept that number low because no one really sits next to the modem all the time, so you get that lower range.
actually I do :) I spend about 12 hours a day right next to the access point, well about 1.5 meters away
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1271 posts
860 upvotes
Québec
MadCanadian wrote: As an IT guy, this is your expected speeds. N300 can only really deliver an average of 30-50 mbps. AC can deliver up to 200-300mbps.

This whole confusion is a lot worse for people paying for gigabit speeds and expect to get gigabit wifi speeds as well, when their high end laptop only gets 300mbps due to wifi limitations (which is what they are rated at).

A reminder that 100Mbps is equal to 1MBps, which you'll see in windows.
100mbs is equal to 10Megabytes, roughly, not 1MBps (divided by 8 and counting the overheadd bits)
Aslo, AC can deliver more thant 200-300, it depends on the channel bandwith (20,40, MHz) and the number of the client antennas.

It guys ? , hopefully not in the networking department :)

Top