[Amazon.ca] UBIQUITI ER-X Router, Black, $ 59.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2020 11:08 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2017
131 posts
110 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] UBIQUITI ER-X Router, Black, $ 59.99

Pretty capable router in my opinion. The current discount is definitely warm against the BF price last month ($ 54.99), but I have rarely seen this router going on sale.

Update (02-Jan-20)

Amazon still has this for $ 59.99 (on back order, due in stock by January 16)

Happy New Year :)
Last edited by cingulum on Jan 2nd, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
69 replies
Oct 25, 2001
582 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto
Please note this won't show up in a Unifi Controller, as it's part of the Edge product line.
Feb 6, 2019
133 posts
89 upvotes
I'd hoped the ER-X SFP would go on sale :(
Dec 12, 2012
80 posts
46 upvotes
Miguel Sánchez wrote: Please note this won't show up in a Unifi Controller, as it's part of the Edge product line.
Too bad too, would be great to have it integrated :(
Jun 8, 2007
813 posts
192 upvotes
Oshawa
I got all excitted. I guess it is really Unifi that I want.. I will keep watching...
Mar 21, 2009
239 posts
90 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Anyone tried it to setup along with an OpenVPN site-to-site server/client(2 of them or with something else)? How are these performing in throughput(I am debating if I shall get 2xRpi or 2 of these)...?
Thanks for the input!
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1278 posts
627 upvotes
Near GTA
Miguel Sánchez wrote: Please note this won't show up in a Unifi Controller, as it's part of the Edge product line.
Thanks! Knew there was a reason for not buying this yet. Still waiting to add to my setup that’s only the AC pro AP at this point
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10046 posts
6098 upvotes
What are some of the potential use cases for an average consumer?
Mar 5, 2011
144 posts
123 upvotes
chatbox wrote: What are some of the potential use cases for an average consumer?
Greater control with respect to separating traffic between home/guest/iot devices is what I use mine for.

I wouldn't really recommend it if you just want things to work. It takes effort to set these things up the way you want. That said, I'm really happy with mine and can't go back to consumer router/ap combos anymore.
Jan 1, 2015
597 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto, ON
chatbox wrote: What are some of the potential use cases for an average consumer?
Haven't needed to restart my router ever since I switched from Archer C8 to AC-Lite and ER-X.

Wifi has been absolutely rock solid
Dec 27, 2006
86 posts
19 upvotes
KingC wrote: Anyone tried it to setup along with an OpenVPN site-to-site server/client(2 of them or with something else)? How are these performing in throughput(I am debating if I shall get 2xRpi or 2 of these)...?
Thanks for the input!
I haven't done this myself, but I have been running OpenWRT on one for around a year and it's been rock solid. Haven't needed a single reboot.

You may also want to check into Wireguard if you're looking at maximum throughput. Here are some comparison benchmarks on the Edgerouters:

https://an.undulating.space/post/181227 ... enchmarks/
Dec 20, 2016
92 posts
119 upvotes
If you have two internet connections you can use this for load balancing or failover. At one point I had a cable and DSL connection in case one of them went down. But Rogers finally got around to fixing the defective equipment in the local node that fed my connection so I cancelled the slower DSL connection. I did have my ER-X up for 250 days at last check though so it is quite stable
Mar 21, 2009
239 posts
90 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
theburner wrote: I haven't done this myself, but I have been running OpenWRT on one for around a year and it's been rock solid. Haven't needed a single reboot.

You may also want to check into Wireguard if you're looking at maximum throughput. Here are some comparison benchmarks on the Edgerouters:

https://an.undulating.space/post/181227 ... enchmarks/
Wow! Didn't know that it can run OpenWRT on it even! Thanks for the link and TBH this is first time for me seeing wireguard in action (I must be too outdated). Now I just need to wait for Amazon to ship then!
Thanks again!