Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] UBIQUITI ER-X Router, Black, $ 59.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2020 11:08 pm
Jun 4, 2004
674 posts
403 upvotes
Mississauga
Bedpan wrote: I got all excitted. I guess it is really Unifi that I want.. I will keep watching...
What exactly do you want? Ubiquiti doesn't sell an all-in-one wireless router. It sells wired routers and wireless access points. If you get a UniFi access point and an Edge Router, they won't show up under the same management console, but so what, you just have to open two web pages. This would be more of a problem in an enterprise scenario where you're managing a large number of devices.
Jun 4, 2004
674 posts
403 upvotes
Mississauga
chatbox wrote: What are some of the potential use cases for an average consumer?
Never ever having to reboot it "just because".

EDIT - oops, I see someone else beat me to it. I was answering in the order I read the posts...
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1295 posts
1020 upvotes
VANCOUVER
On a side note, I'm going to load openwrt on my ERX tomorrow. Always liked openwrt and found it to be stable on my previous setup. Results look awesome for the ERX.

My Deco M9 is coming this week so I get to geek out and compare.

Thanks whoever mentioned openwrt. Wouldn't have known otherwise.
Sep 14, 2007
159 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver
apu2009 wrote: Too bad too, would be great to have it integrated :(
Actually, not having it integrated is IMO an advantage. Your controller goes down but your router continues to be strong, with its own web management UI. Your main router remains working and needs no provisioning so that you can fix your controller. They are both Ubiquiti and the design language is consistent, drastically reducing the learning curve.

For a little bit more, look for the ER-X SFP, with 24V PoE that can directly supply the AC-Lite and AC-LR. This is because the ER-X SFP is cheaper than any UniFi switch you could find but you get a really good router, too, not just a switch.

Of course USG has some features that ER-X does not have, but the reverse is true, too.
Jan 11, 2012
297 posts
125 upvotes
PORT ALBERNI
The ER-X SFP is a very nice unit. That's what I opted for, I like that it came with a more robust power supply that has enough power to power up all the ports without having to deploy additional POE injectors for the AP. A neat little trick I found out about - you can use a SFP to RJ45 adapter to use the SFP port as the input from the cable modem thereby letting you use all 5 of the RJ45 for your internal network. The port you free up can sometimes negate having to buy an additional switch to get everything connected. So IMO the extra bucks upfront for this unit can pay off down the road as you expand your system. Similarly with the Edgeswitch lineup the ES-10XP is the best one to invest in. Like the ER-X SFP the ES-10XP has fully powered ports, as well as 10xRJ45 and 2xSFP ports. More flexible than the smaller edgeswitch units for not much more dollars. Not having to figure out where to plug in a POE injector for your multiple AP is golden with both these units, just run a cable and your done. There are other brands out there that also work as well as the Ubiquiti line up do, so it's really a whatever floats your boat situation. Just the fact that Ubiquiti updates the OS on a regular basis is worth the price of admission not to mention that they are so much more configurable and robust than the plug n play kiddy routers that Best Buy will sell you (or the all n one Shaw units).
There's so much information on the Internet and YouTube that you can access for setup help with the Ubiquiti lineup that I didn't find it all that difficult to get up n running. I haven't touched it since the 1st week of tinkering and it hasn't gone offline by itself nor has it not failed to come back up okay after a power outage.
conurus wrote: Actually, not having it integrated is IMO an advantage. Your controller goes down but your router continues to be strong, with its own web management UI. Your main router remains working and needs no provisioning so that you can fix your controller. They are both Ubiquiti and the design language is consistent, drastically reducing the learning curve.

For a little bit more, look for the ER-X SFP, with 24V PoE that can directly supply the AC-Lite and AC-LR. This is because the ER-X SFP is cheaper than any UniFi switch you could find but you get a really good router, too, not just a switch.

Of course USG has some features that ER-X does not have, but the reverse is true, too.
Jun 8, 2007
817 posts
192 upvotes
Oshawa
I have a mini PC now with PF Sense and a couple UniFi AP's... I don't need anything.. But if I am going to spend the cash I thought it worth while to get the UniFi version to simplify things a little...
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1369 posts
1468 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Bedpan wrote: I have a mini PC now with PF Sense and a couple UniFi AP's... I don't need anything.. But if I am going to spend the cash I thought it worth while to get the UniFi version to simplify things a little...

...again Unifi doesn't simplify the setup. The interface hides many of the features that the EdgeOS has in the UI so you have to rely more on the command line interface to do things which is significantly more complex.

Plus to get the Unifi version you will need the Security Gateway, Unifi cloud key (or a dedicated server running the controller) and likely a network switch since the UGS only has two usable ports.

The ER-X is the best bang for the dollar. The interface is simple enough to understand and you don't really gain anything by going fully Unifi.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1369 posts
1468 upvotes
VANCOUVER
conurus wrote:
For a little bit more, look for the ER-X SFP, with 24V PoE that can directly supply the AC-Lite and AC-LR.
Actually the "regular" ER-X can now do 24v Poe. I have mine powering my AC-LR directly
Jun 8, 2007
817 posts
192 upvotes
Oshawa
Thanks for the info....

I will have a closer look... Not to worried about the hardware side.. I am running UnRaid with Dockers and VM, along with a POE 24 port switch for a number of cameras and the two AP's. There is a mini computer running PF Sense now that is all running pretty well..

I have played with Mikrotik, and I am CCNA certified from a long time back (before they expired so I have mine for life). I have not used Ubiquiti to much other then AP's and Nanostations.. So this is just really a learning op. I don't have any vlans setup right now and I would like to start segregating some of my traffic. I could spend some money on a new switch but I figured I would get a new router to play with...

goozy1 wrote: ...again Unifi doesn't simplify the setup. The interface hides many of the features that the EdgeOS has in the UI so you have to rely more on the command line interface to do things which is significantly more complex.

Plus to get the Unifi version you will need the Security Gateway, Unifi cloud key (or a dedicated server running the controller) and likely a network switch since the UGS only has two usable ports.

The ER-X is the best bang for the dollar. The interface is simple enough to understand and you don't really gain anything by going fully Unifi.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4224 posts
1672 upvotes
Parry Sound
The ER-X and ER3 Lite (same internals as the USG) are all extremely outdated and not worth more than $60.

You'd have to be insane or lack any knowledge of these devices to spend $150 on a USG....

Hoping they upgrade the USG with ER4 internals, though even that is dated now.

Also, the ER-X is a switch that can do routing. It's not a true router.

By the way, you do NOT need the UniFi controller to run 24/7. You ONLY need the controller to set things up or if you want to keep logs. Everything will work just fine with or without a controller running.

You can also set up a Raspberry Pi as a controller which can also double as a Pi-Hole. Cheaper, better, more options and functionality than their own controller.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Mar 21, 2009
242 posts
90 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
MayorOfToronto wrote: The ER-X and ER3 Lite (same internals as the USG) are all extremely outdated and not worth more than $60.

You'd have to be insane or lack any knowledge of these devices to spend $150 on a USG....

Hoping they upgrade the USG with ER4 internals, though even that is dated now.

Also, the ER-X is a switch that can do routing. It's not a true router.

By the way, you do NOT need the UniFi controller to run 24/7. You ONLY need the controller to set things up or if you want to keep logs. Everything will work just fine with or without a controller running.

You can also set up a Raspberry Pi as a controller which can also double as a Pi-Hole. Cheaper, better, more options and functionality than their own controller.
The ER-X listed in here can run OpenWRT with full hw accelerated NAT isn't it (I know it uses MIPS 1004k processor still which does shows its age)? Feels like people are using it as a router mostly? Still have time to cancel my amazon order before they ship...
[OP]
Dec 27, 2017
137 posts
114 upvotes
Are there any advantages of OpenWRT over EdgeOS?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
2976 posts
488 upvotes
Pickering
Would there be any benefit by using this over an older D-Link DIR-850L being used as a router? wired cable modem is a Hitron CGN3 and Netgear AC1900 for my wireless, few other small LAN connections but mostly wireless (20+). Used to use 3rd party linux firmware on some of my older routers, none of what I have now support Linux though.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
3604 posts
1473 upvotes
Grimsby
In my ~6000 sq ft office I have a few wifi access points that I’ve been meaning to replace for a few years. The router I have I can’t change, and have been meaning to look at some options from Ubiquiti. Do they have any simple options in terms of placing wifi access points that can be configured to work with an existing non-Ubiquiti router?

Wondering if multiple of these would work for example: https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-dream-machine
May 12, 2011
345 posts
333 upvotes
Calgary
joey003 wrote: In my ~6000 sq ft office I have a few wifi access points that I’ve been meaning to replace for a few years. The router I have I can’t change, and have been meaning to look at some options from Ubiquiti. Do they have any simple options in terms of placing wifi access points that can be configured to work with an existing non-Ubiquiti router?

Wondering if multiple of these would work for example: https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-dream-machine
Why Ubiquiti? They are too overpriced and with their recent attempt to silently gather info about your network I personally would avoid using their APs.

Worth trying alternatives, like EAP245. It has the same chipset as Ubi PRO but 50% cheaper, doesn't require controller and has PoE injector in the box. I am personally using it paired with old ASUS RT-AC68U router that has all radios disabled.
Last edited by wolandca on Dec 31st, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3521 posts
795 upvotes
Thanks op. I ordered one. This thing seems amazing little box. It's fun to learn and play with. And see what it can do. This can also become my main router once I learn. Right I think it's too much to run pfsense box
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3521 posts
795 upvotes
Bedpan wrote: Thanks for the info....

I will have a closer look... Not to worried about the hardware side.. I am running UnRaid with Dockers and VM, along with a POE 24 port switch for a number of cameras and the two AP's. There is a mini computer running PF Sense now that is all running pretty well..

I have played with Mikrotik, and I am CCNA certified from a long time back (before they expired so I have mine for life). I have not used Ubiquiti to much other then AP's and Nanostations.. So this is just really a learning op. I don't have any vlans setup right now and I would like to start segregating some of my traffic. I could spend some money on a new switch but I figured I would get a new router to play with...

If I may ask you what camera system you using. I recently discovered one of my poe cameras firmware is unbearable and company will not provide updates nor can I load third party. So I need to replace. I did purchase the Amazon wifi cams. But I feel alot more comfortable using the existing cat6+Poe runs.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
3604 posts
1473 upvotes
Grimsby
wolandca wrote: Why Ubiquiti? They are too overpriced and with their recent attempt to silently gather info about your network I personally would avoid using their APs.

Worth trying alternatives, like EAP245. It has the same chipset as Ubi PRO but 50% cheaper, doesn't require controller and has PoE injector in the box. I am personally using it paired with old ASUS RT-AC68U router that has all radios disabled.
Thanks! In all honesty I hadn’t checked any of them out over the past few years and I felt like Ubiquiti was a common and trusted commercial type of brand for this type of use. Appreciate the feedback.