Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] UBIQUITI ER-X Router, Black, $ 59.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2020 11:08 pm
Mar 25, 2006
239 posts
131 upvotes
wolandca wrote: Yep
Not necessarily. You can use wireless uplinks between access points (there is performance hit obviously). You can also use powerline adaptors, there is one kit coming out from Ubiquiti soon, called EtherMagic.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6320 posts
2755 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
wolandca wrote: Why Ubiquiti? They are too overpriced and with their recent attempt to silently gather info about your network I personally would avoid using their APs.

Worth trying alternatives, like EAP245. It has the same chipset as Ubi PRO but 50% cheaper, doesn't require controller and has PoE injector in the box. I am personally using it paired with old ASUS RT-AC68U router that has all radios disabled.
So running AC68U as well connected to Hitron in bridge mode.

Noob at APs.

So would setup be like this:

* Continue present setup but turn off wifi on AC68U and run ethernet from AC68U lan to EAP245 and then EAP245 would handle wifi?

* Possible to connect AC68U wirelessly to EAP245 or would that hurt performance too much?
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
May 12, 2011
345 posts
333 upvotes
Calgary
georvu wrote: * Continue present setup but turn off wifi on AC68U and run ethernet from AC68U lan to EAP245 and then EAP245 would handle wifi?
Yes, exactly. My AC68U acts as a pure router. Even without AiProtection (I have found it very unstable, plus it also dials home to TrendMicro) and without Adaptive QoS (the same reason). The EAP245 has WMM (Qos) build in that seems to works pretty well for me.
You can also keep all radios in router enabled, but make sure that AP and router are using the same SSIDs but on different channels, that will allow to your devices roam between them.
I personally decided to disable all radios on my router because the router sits in basement very close to concrete wall and concrete around it anyway jams the signal.
georvu wrote: * Possible to connect AC68U wirelessly to EAP245 or would that hurt performance too much?
Sure, it is possible, but yes, it may hurt the performance, you may see bad speed or high latency (or everything together). Gigabit power-line adapters may do that trick, but not sure.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1822 posts
767 upvotes
Antarctica
schlouf wrote: Not necessarily. You can use wireless uplinks between access points (there is performance hit obviously). You can also use powerline adaptors, there is one kit coming out from Ubiquiti soon, called EtherMagic.
Any power line recommendations? :D

I currently get only about 40mbps through wifi on a 300mbps connection. I would be happy to get 150-175mbps upstairs if possible, currently it's terrible.

My previous router (Asus ac68u) crapped out so I am just using the terrible homehub right now. But even with the router connected in the basement it wouldn't get higher than 70-80mbps due to all the interference and floors in between I suppose (and the fact that it's in a corner).
Aug 26, 2008
897 posts
437 upvotes
Montreal
Would this device help my network? My house is connected by what I think is Ubiquiti Airmax. I don't know which model it is, but could find out. It seems to have a DHCP server, or maybe that's "upstream." My network looks like this:

internet <-public net-> airmax <-private net1-> internal network device (looks like a POE injector) <-private net1-> switch <-private net1-> tplink router/wap (archer c9) <-private net2-> computer

The computer is connected via wifi to the c9, and some ports are forwarded to it from the internet. It works (I can connect to it using the airmax public address from the outside world), but I don't understand how. It's two networks in (private net1 & net2). As an aside, anyone have an overview?

I want to plug the computer and some other devices (rtsp cameras) directly into the switch on net1, but when I do that, as far as I can tell they can't connect to wireless devices on net2. They need to. The c9 doesn't have a bridge mode. There are a lot of variables, including magic for each device type. Is this configuration possible with current hardware?

Thanks!
Last edited by davidm on Jan 2nd, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 4, 2004
674 posts
403 upvotes
Mississauga
I stand corrected, but in my defense, this only came out about a month ago. Besides, my point to the person I quoted was to understand why they thought they needed UniFi - for the actual UniFi access point(s), or for the USG for UniFi integration.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4224 posts
1672 upvotes
Parry Sound
FFWD wrote: I stand corrected, but in my defense, this only came out about a month ago. Besides, my point to the person I quoted was to understand why they thought they needed UniFi - for the actual UniFi access point(s), or for the USG for UniFi integration.
The UDM is kind of a joke.

The whole point of the UniFi line is to have seperate networking hardware that can be managed under a single pane of glass.

UDM is a $400 fat coke can that combines a router, switch, AP, and single-site controller.

Defeats the purpose of UniFi. It seems to fit better under their AmpliFi line.

They need to upgrade the USG3 already. It's about damn time.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1295 posts
1020 upvotes
VANCOUVER
So I like to tinker. Loaded opwnwrt and adblock just now. Relatively straightforward for those tech inclined.

Going to test with my deco M9 and lite access points tomorrow. Wonder how buffer bloat will be like with hw acceleration for my home setup.
Sep 22, 2010
485 posts
468 upvotes
Victoria
Love this little router. Solid piece of kit for a fair price.

Thanks,
Cal.