Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

UBIQUITI ERPOE-5 Edgerouter PoE-Router-Desktop, Wall-Mountable-Black | 16% Off | $174.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2020 10:44 am
Jun 10, 2004
623 posts
1289 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] UBIQUITI ERPOE-5 Edgerouter PoE-Router-Desktop, Wall-Mountable-Black | 16% Off | $174.99

4123F8V-ZNL.jpg

The EdgeRouter PoE supports 24V or 48V passive PoE to power multiple devices on the network
The EdgeRouter PoE delivers uptime performance equal to leading carrier or enterprise technology solutions
The EdgeRouter PoE routes up to 1 million packets per second to meet the needs of carrier-class networks

-Callahan-

Lowest Recorded Price on CCC

000.jpg

You can become AgentL: Smiling Face With Sunglasses

48 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2009
1046 posts
446 upvotes
Good price.

Hardwire Unifi AP via POE port and you have a nice little home network setup.
Feb 8, 2011
665 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
FastFret wrote: Good price.

Hardwire Unifi AP via POE port and you have a nice little home network setup.
I love my unifi stuff but if this is what you are after the edge router with one poe connection is more than enough and will be less than half the price of this thing. If you have more than one AP then this makes sense, or if you have other devices that can be powered by this (thinking a switch here) then i think this fits.
Unifi is definitely the way to go though!
May 12, 2011
594 posts
1154 upvotes
Calgary
ERPOE-5 has no OpenWRT support. And the original EdgeOS has buildin artificial limits. Without OpenWRT there is no way to unlock its full power.

Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3866 posts
5373 upvotes
Oakville
wolandca wrote: ERPOE-5 has no OpenWRT support. And the original EdgeOS has buildin artificial limits. Without OpenWRT there is no way to unlock its full power.
I have an edge router X with SFP, ubiquiti cloud key gen 2, unifi APs UAC Pro, and the AP LR, and the POE 16- port switch, Ubiquiti G3 cameras and a bunch of other shit I'm not going to advertise.

It's by far the most advanced and powerful all encompassing system out there. I haven't had to reboot my system in over 1324 days...that's over 3 years of up time, and the reboot only happened because I had to hook it up to a UPS batter backup.

I'm able to cofmeotsble VPN, have segregate SSIDs and networks, I'm able to set throttle limits, VLAN tagging is a breeze, doing network penetration tests my results score higher with this setup than my previous setups with Netgear with OpenWRT...

You don't need OpenWRT support because everything can be coded in Linux.

Now if you aren't comfortable with Linux then I can see this product won't be suited for you.
-ZdpZ... ;)
May 12, 2011
594 posts
1154 upvotes
Calgary
zdpz wrote: I have an edge router X with SFP, ubiquiti cloud key gen 2, unifi APs UAC Pro, and the AP LR, and the POE 16- port switch, Ubiquiti G3 cameras and a bunch of other shit I'm not going to advertise.

It's by far the most advanced and powerful all encompassing system out there. I haven't had to reboot my system in over 1324 days...that's over 3 years of up time, and the reboot only happened because I had to hook it up to a UPS batter backup.

I'm able to cofmeotsble VPN, have segregate SSIDs and networks, I'm able to set throttle limits, VLAN tagging is a breeze, doing network penetration tests my results score higher with this setup than my previous setups with Netgear with OpenWRT...

You don't need OpenWRT support because everything can be coded in Linux.

Now if you aren't comfortable with Linux then I can see this product won't be suited for you.
Well, what is your LAN<->WAN throughput with active SQM set to cake?
EdgeOS limiting it to 100mbps, while OpenWRT easily handle 200 mbps.
And you know?, even in OpenWRT you can use command line to configure it.

Aug 28, 2005
400 posts
178 upvotes
wolandca wrote: ERPOE-5 has no OpenWRT support. And the original EdgeOS has buildin artificial limits. Without OpenWRT there is no way to unlock its full power.
Out of curiosity, what are some of the artificial limits in EdgeOS that you are aware of that would not be there with OpenWRT?

I've been using an ER-X for a number of years now and I've been pretty happy with it, but curious on what else it might be missing.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13912 posts
5398 upvotes
The steep learning curve for EdgeOS make the price meh.

I'd rather build a pfsense if I'm paying $150+.
The sweetest gyal
May 12, 2011
594 posts
1154 upvotes
Calgary
rcxAsh wrote: Out of curiosity, what are some of the artificial limits in EdgeOS that you are aware of that would not be there with OpenWRT?

I've been using an ER-X for a number of years now and I've been pretty happy with it, but curious on what else it might be missing.
See my post above. I tried edgeX with EdgeOS and then intalled OpenWRT, and will never look back.

Aug 23, 2019
666 posts
514 upvotes
Reminder that this is for either small businesses or "homelabs" (networking/IT training). Average person doesn't really benefit from this. You can install one or two APs on any router/switch because they come with PoE adapters and after it's running you don't need any "cloud" software to actively manage regular operations.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14335 posts
15670 upvotes
Oil Country
Paid around the same price for this router back in 2016. The ERPoE-5 is super stable, and the GUI is pretty easy to use for those that don't want configure from command line. I'm using a PoE AP with it too, and haven't touched it in months. The only time I need to touch the router or AP, is when I perform a firmware update.

It definitely trickier to use than most consumer model routers, but the community forum is pretty active and there's lots of tips and tricks on how to configure things.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2076 posts
96 upvotes
Ktichener, ON
wolandca wrote: Well, what is your LAN<->WAN throughput with active SQM set to cake?
EdgeOS limiting it to 100mbps, while OpenWRT easily handle 200 mbps.
And you know?, even in OpenWRT you can use command line to configure it.
The EdgeRouter PoE routes up to 1 million packets per second to meet the needs of carrier-class networks
I don't have Edge but I have USG.
USG can do 1Gbps
May 12, 2011
594 posts
1154 upvotes
Calgary
Mir wrote: The EdgeRouter PoE routes up to 1 million packets per second to meet the needs of carrier-class networks
I don't have Edge but I have USG.
USG can do 1Gbps
Once again, 1Gbps with QoS enabled? I do not think so, only x86 devices can do that

Nov 10, 2003
824 posts
487 upvotes
BC, Canada
wolandca wrote: Once again, 1Gbps with QoS enabled? I do not think so, only x86 devices can do that
Architecture has nothing to do with the number of packets than can be handled.
No these boxes do not do 1Gbps with QOS
my ER-4 does around 500mbit with QOS

This thing outputs passive POE but I was under the impression Ubiquity gear uses 802.1af
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2076 posts
96 upvotes
Ktichener, ON
wolandca wrote: Once again, 1Gbps with QoS enabled? I do not think so, only x86 devices can do that
More then likely not, what QoS will benefit for internut? ISP will not value your QoS !
However I do CoS in my lan.
I have IoT and Guest network, where I doing CoS just fine.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2076 posts
96 upvotes
Ktichener, ON
I know for fact Check point, Cisco, Palo Alto Network l, Sliver Peak can do 1 Gbps just fine and they are not x86¡
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13912 posts
5398 upvotes
LOL

are you guys seriously arguing about qos on 1gbps on a $170 consumer router?

LOL
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2076 posts
96 upvotes
Ktichener, ON
sexyj wrote: LOL

are you guys seriously arguing about qos on 1gbps on a $170 consumer router?

LOL
These are not a consumer product.
Perhaps these are SOHO or Prosumer product.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4267 posts
5185 upvotes
Montreal, QC
sexyj wrote: The steep learning curve for EdgeOS make the price meh.

I'd rather build a pfsense if I'm paying $150+.
pfsense is great (especially if you plan to use IDS/IPS with add-on packages like Snort and Suricata), but you are not building any power efficient pfsense box for such a low cost.
The ERpoe-5 max power consumption is 60W, and that is assuming the full 50W PoE budget is used. So the unit itself is only consuming max 10W. No budget PC will run pfsense comfortably, and use anywhere as low power consumption. Now, if you have a spare Intel NUC lying around, sure it can come close, but the NUC is not cheap. The parts costs start to add up on custom builds (mobo, cpu, power supply, memory, storage, multiport intel nic, etc..). Not sure you are paying that much of a premium for an all enclosed refined box (which does include PoE, which is great to power remote access points).

I have an ERLite‑3 myself (which now sells for $115), and have no issues with it. Works like a charm, and rock solid out of the box. It has the Same CPU, same amount of memory, and same throughput and pps as the ERpoe5. As far as I can tell, only difference is the built in switch and PoE on the ERpoe5. So if you don't need the extra ports or PoE, then the ERLite3 is just as good, for cheaper. I use 2 Cisco APs myself (just because I had them), and I power those using standalone power injectors which I had gotten with the APs.

However, even though I am happy with my ERLite-3, I do think it is time for Ubiquiti to refresh the whole edgerouter lineup (and the USG for that matter), with some newer, more powerful CPUs. Something like the ERlite-3 has been around for nearly 8 years with no change (except for case changing from plastic to metal I believe). CPUs have changed leaps and bounds since then. With more and more people wanting more security, it would be nice to be able to enable IDS/IPS on these devices without a HUGE performance hit. Something like their new Dream Machine, but in a more traditional form factor, and drop the wifi to allow flexible choices (many of us prefer a separate route/security gateway from our access points).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)