Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

UBIQUITI ERPOE-5 Edgerouter PoE-Router-Desktop, Wall-Mountable-Black | 16% Off | $174.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2020 10:44 am
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5437 upvotes
This is why "prosumer" routers like these make little sense.

People who run these on a home line don't pump out sustain 100+Mbps or even 30+Mbps . If you do, your ISP will probably terminate your service.

If you run this on a business line with committed 1Gbps rate, then go right ahead and get this.
death_hawk wrote: 95th percentile means something different.
Basically it's saying you're sustaining about 50mbps for 95% of the month after the other 5% that's higher than 50mbps is discarded.
This is how commercial internet is typically billed.
The sweetest gyal
May 7, 2007
62 posts
38 upvotes
Kitchener
tvisforme wrote: As others have noted, the Ubiquiti gear is more expensive, and harder to set up. However, the extra cost and time spent are more than paid off in terms of reliability. Our network, with an Edgerouter Lite and two Unifi APs, is rock-solid and the only time these units reboot is either after a firmware update or a power failure. Other than that, they just sit there and work. For me, it's something fun to play with, and for the rest of the family they never have to even think about their Internet connections - so no need for tech support even with multiple dozens of devices in active use.
These devices are for those of us who want something a bit more configurability/flexibility than what typical consumer gear has. Unifi is moving more into the consumer space - their "Dream Machine" systems actually look like the ideal stuff to have at home with Switches, AP, USG and Cloudkey all rolled into one.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
JustinZ wrote:
Ehhh

I get it - you guys want to use this "enterprise-lite" hardware to be cool -- but "the extra cost and time spent are more than paid off in terms of reliability" isn't true...

An ASUS router is just as reliable
To be fair, I haven't used that particular router but the last ASUS I used that was popular was the RT-N16.
It sucked. It lasted a week before I replaced it with a pfSense and a Unifi.

Have things improved since then? Hopefully. Maybe consumer routers today are better. They certainly can't get worse.
But I've been bit FAR too many times in the past to go back myself.
pfSense has been my go to for over a decade now. At first only when things were ultra important. But the more I used it the more I realized how much it didn't suck compared to consumer crap.
Nowadays everything gets a pfSense. Despite the additional cost and power consumption (read: ongoing cost) I know that once it's up, it's not going down again.
sexyj wrote: This is why "prosumer" routers like these make little sense.

People who run these on a home line don't pump out sustain 100+Mbps or even 30+Mbps . If you do, your ISP will probably terminate your service.

If you run this on a business line with committed 1Gbps rate, then go right ahead and get this.
It's not about consistent throughput. It's about stability.
I've had a couple of pfSense with thousands of days of uptime. My record was over 2000 days.
That means I didn't have to touch it for 6 years.

I've met quite a few consumer routers that I've had to reboot every 6 days.

As I said above, consistent throughput is a terrible metric.
When you start running torrents with a few hundred connections or burst up to gigabit speeds and the router forgets that it's a router is where consumer routers really suck.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5437 upvotes
That's kind of a contradiction eh?

If you are able to sustain 30+Mbps for 95th. Hell, even at 10Mbps... that router is stable.

I wonder how many home line users actually burst for more than 100Mbps... I bet in the 0.0001%
death_hawk wrote: It's not about consistent throughput. It's about stability.

As I said above, consistent throughput is a terrible metric.
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
Emporium wrote: Any authorized access into my network, from the outside, goes through VPN, secured by certificate. So even accessing my NAS to check my security cams, I VPN in first, then access it. There is nothing in my network that is forward facing to the internet. Other than VPN, the rest is closed inbound.
What did you do for the certificate setup? I have a Mikrotik Ac2 router and two TP-link AP's. Everything works flawlessly, but I would like to set up secure VPN inbound. I'm currently using the Synology secure web access portal to remotely access my NAS but VPN would be preferred.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1567 posts
907 upvotes
Near GTA
@sexyj points made right? Now you’re just arguing someone’s perspective of value and worth. Do that on a network forum Thumbs Up Sign
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5437 upvotes
@chrischris84 There's also no deal to be had here.

Sales over

LOL
chrischris84 wrote: @sexyj points made right? Now you’re just arguing someone’s perspective of value and worth. Do that on a network forum Thumbs Up Sign
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2076 posts
96 upvotes
Ktichener, ON
death_hawk wrote:

95th percentile means something different.
Basically it's saying you're sustaining about 50mbps for 95% of the month after the other 5% that's higher than 50mbps is discarded.
This is how commercial internet is typically billed.

It's a pretty terrible benchmark for a router since even a consumer router should be able to handle that without that many issues.
Not that a speed test is that great either, but I'd rather see what it can burst at rather than sustain unless you're sustaining what you burst (ie 95th at 900mbps)
About 5 years ago, when I got that USG, no router I came across was able to do 1Gige or wirespeed throughput.
Matter of fact not even all Cisco branch router could do it.
It can sustained in TCP sessions 800 + I did the iPerf test. with 9 streams
Now I may be 5 % of the sample, darn if I can't use what I have or paying for it.
sexyj wrote: Any this is why I said nerds eat this up. All the things you listed is so extra other than the ones that actually affect performance. It made absolutely no sense to do it in a regular household.
I'm talking about 95th percentile for the month. You can do a speedtest.. wow!

What's your 95th percentile for the month? Use more than 16TB per month? If not, you proved my point.
I am not going to justify my presence in the popularity
I am talking about the product!
I am using all the features what I have posted. It was important to me.
Pretty soon I am going to have iPsec or SSL tunnel with PBR (Policy Base Routing) I don't any of the low end of routers can do all the features I have posted.
Yes I am heavy hitter when it comes to internet usage.
You may see short Uptime, because I just switch the ISP ;) and I had re arrange my Network gear.
16 TB in a Month! that is for dead people :p
Images
  • Usage.JPG
  • Uptime.JPG
  • Rooter.JPG
Jun 10, 2004
623 posts
1289 upvotes
Toronto
The Amazon Sale is back on.

I requested this deal be resurrected from expired and back to Hot Deals.

-Callahan-