• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2019 12:34 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
440 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] Umidigi Power - $189.99 minus $10 instant coupon

UMIDIGI Power Android 9.0 - 5150mAh Big Battery 18W 6.3' FHD+ Waterdrop Screen 4GB+64GB Helio P35 Global Version 16MP+5MP Dual Camera LTE Smartphone(Black)

I've seen a few other Umidigi deals in this sub. I just ordered this one from Amazon. Opted for fast shipping so added $11 to cost. Specs seemed pretty decent, and includes AC wifi and NFC (full specs from Umidigi site here). Not expecting a high end phone, but figure its modern and decent enough to replace my Xiaomi Redmi 4x which has served me for the past 2 years. Will provide short review once it arrives (scheduled for next Tuesday).
No more lodgers - more trouble than they're worth!
19 replies
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
440 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Phone arrived on Monday, one day ahead of schedule. Only been using for just over a day, but so far am impressed. Stock Android 9, no bloatware or brand apps at all. Good screen size and quality, snappy screens and app openings. I'm not a gamer so I haven't used any serious CPU/GPU using apps. Haven't played with the camera's yet, but I didn't get this phone thinking it would have a great camera. I did have an issue getting my TextNow account set up so that text notifications would be pushed. Played with the security and battery settings and seems to be working now (was inconsistent for a while - sometimes they would come through immediately, other times required me to be in app and refresh). Only other issue I have is with the case that comes with the phone - its a plastic case that has some texture to it, but I still find it fairly slippery. I prefer silicone cases, and at least at this point in time, with the Power being a relatively new phone, there aren't many sellers out there selling accessories for it.

If anyone has any questions about the phone, feel free to ask.
Last edited by yds on Jun 19th, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3576 posts
3086 upvotes
FWIW, not for Freedom due to lack of B66
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
7521 posts
1745 upvotes
does this have double sims and microSD for triple slot or just 1 and 1 double! tia
better specs then the a5 pro and worst specs then f1 play or non play

isn't it one day free shipping with prime? why are u paying 11 bucks for like 1 week shipping
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
2271 posts
839 upvotes
London
F1 play has a $20 coupon right now on amazon, $279.99 all in.

Likely worth the extra $100 but that's another 30% increase.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18340 posts
17042 upvotes
Toronto
@yds If anyone has any questions about the phone, feel free to ask.

What is the security patch date that it's running? My worry with these Chinese phones is the lack of updates (holds true for HTC and LG lately too...)
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
440 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
mikka2017 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 9:51 am
does this have double sims and microSD for triple slot or just 1 and 1 double! tia
better specs then the a5 pro and worst specs then f1 play or non play

isn't it one day free shipping with prime? why are u paying 11 bucks for like 1 week shipping
Two sims (both with LTE), or one sim and one microsd.

I don't pay for prime, so that's why I paid 11 bucks for fast (two business day) shipping. I probably could have gone with free shipping, and got it almost as fast. That's normally my experience with deliveries to Toronto.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
440 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
sprung wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 10:46 am
@yds If anyone has any questions about the phone, feel free to ask.

What is the security patch date that it's running? My worry with these Chinese phones is the lack of updates (holds true for HTC and LG lately too...)
Security patch date is May 5, 2019.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3576 posts
3086 upvotes
sprung wrote:
My worry with these Chinese phones is the lack of updates (holds true for HTC and LG lately too...)
No. LG serves regular security updates for all it's modern phones (since the G5). If you haven't received an update in the last 2-3 months, blame your carrier.
Jul 1, 2019
2 posts
2 upvotes
It has no problem with Freedom, I actually had to use a Freedom sim to setup my Public Mobile APN setting. 3 days after that, they sent out an update that fixed Public Mobiles APN settings.
Jul 1, 2019
2 posts
2 upvotes
It only has 2 slots one for a nano SIM, and one for a nano SIM or SD card
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
440 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Three weeks using now. Got no complaints generally about the phone. Only thing I've noticed really is that the AC wifi connection isn't the strongest. I have two Ubiquiti AC-lite access points at home. Phone drops the 5GHz connection fairly easily and drops down to the 2.4GHz. NFC has been great for GPay, and battery life has been great. No regrets about this purchase. I did notice today that price seems to have jumped on Amazon to $271.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23343 posts
8977 upvotes
sprung wrote:
My worry with these Chinese phones is the lack of updates (holds true for HTC and LG lately too...)
Honestly... this is basically true for everything but Pixels, Android One, and Treble.
I for one don't mind Chinese as long as they're Treble/One.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6890 posts
1643 upvotes
yds wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 10:49 am
Two sims (both with LTE), or one sim and one microsd.

I don't pay for prime, so that's why I paid 11 bucks for fast (two business day) shipping. I probably could have gone with free shipping, and got it almost as fast. That's normally my experience with deliveries to Toronto.
Why didn't you pay $8 for a month of Prime, get the free shipping and possibly enjoy some other Prime benefits for the month, then cancel before renewing another month?
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11728 posts
1597 upvotes
any camera software? i have mine and it sucks.