Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Various Orient Bambino mechanical watches $168 and up

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2018 11:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1415 posts
1111 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] Various Orient Bambino mechanical watches $168 and up

Got a price alert from the desert for this 4th gen Orient Bambino ive had my eye on. Lowest price ever.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N5RFHLF/ref ... 70_TE_item

Noticed that some other colors/models, e.g.

https://www.amazon.ca/Orient-Bambino-Ja ... ref=plSrch

These are mechanical watches with both automatic and hand winding and are hackable (2nd hand stops when you pull the crown). Note at this price you aren't getting a sapphire crystal.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1729 posts
1558 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks OP.

Nice watch but mineral glass is a non-starter at any price, for me anyway. They scratch too easily and look like crap. Too bad, nice looking watches. I'd pay more for sapphire.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19692 posts
20145 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sandav wrote: Thanks OP.

Nice watch but mineral glass is a non-starter at any price, for me anyway. They scratch too easily and look like crap. Too bad, nice looking watches. I'd pay more for sapphire.
That’s bogus. I have a SKX007 with zero scratches on the mineral glass. Mineral glass should not be a detractor at this price range.
Nov 25, 2015
317 posts
527 upvotes
the Wet Coast
Damn, was hoping they had the creme dial with blue hands at that price. Thanks OP
Aug 18, 2011
276 posts
294 upvotes
North York

EP32k2 wrote: That’s bogus. I have a SKX007 with zero scratches on the mineral glass. Mineral glass should not be a detractor at this price range.

I'd have to agree to sandav. I have a couple Orients and after getting a nick/scratch (from a door strike plate) on the first one, I only buy the ones with sapphire.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2083 posts
5335 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought a Bambino about a year ago. I like it. I seldom wear it, but I just noticed a scratch on it last night :(
My daily driver is a SKX007 and that one has no scratches even though I've had it for a few years. The Bambino has no bezel to protect it...
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1729 posts
1558 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote: That’s bogus. I have a SKX007 with zero scratches on the mineral glass. Mineral glass should not be a detractor at this price range.
It's Hardlex crystal which is a hardened mineral glass. I would choose Hardlex over mineral any day. I own a 3rd gen Seiko monster and not a scratch due to the glass and it's concave design.
Oct 27, 2016
144 posts
123 upvotes
Winnipeg
While I do agree with you, I think you can find sapphire crystal watches on sale for around 20-30 dollars more.
Still a good watch, though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8394 posts
2170 upvotes
Toronto
The small seconds version is the one I'd go for.

Jul 13, 2007
425 posts
402 upvotes
Vancouver
Good price and great entry level mechanical watch.

Thanks OP!
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17020 posts
4808 upvotes
Stuck in a Box

And Orient's mineral glass is one of the crappiest ever. Have had it scratch easily on Mako. Had to get a sapphire replacement.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17020 posts
4808 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
hardlex is not typical mineral glass
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19692 posts
20145 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Oakbeard wrote: While I do agree with you, I think you can find sapphire crystal watches on sale for around 20-30 dollars more.
Still a good watch, though.
True.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19692 posts
20145 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sandav wrote: It's Hardlex crystal which is a hardened mineral glass. I would choose Hardlex over mineral any day. I own a 3rd gen Seiko monster and not a scratch due to the glass and it's concave design.
Good point. I forgot, just remembered it wasn’t sapphire.
Dec 2, 2014
405 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto, ON
appleb wrote: The small seconds version is the one I'd go for.

I don't understand the small second hand. The beauty of a mechanical watch is to see the beautiful sweep of the second hand. With the second like this or in any chronographs, the second hand is so small you can barely see it. So you're paying extra just to negate the best thing about mech watches? Yeah makes sense lol.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7659 posts
4355 upvotes
Debtario
These are sexy, but I have too many watches already MUST RESIST!
weedb0y wrote: hardlex is not typical mineral glass
+1. Had just Seikos with Hardlex and never understood what the fuss was about mineral scratching easy. That said, It still boggles my mind why in 2018 sapphire and good lume is not standard on any watch over $200, these things are inexpensive but substantial upgrades yet manufacturers skimp out to save pennies. Then again many quartz watches still use 3 year non-lithium batteries when there are movements available with 10 year lithium cells for a few dollars more - and I don't buy the "lithium batteries make the movement too thick" argument, Ronda 715Li can do it so no excuses! . I suspect it's to rack up after-sales service.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Oct 11, 2016
537 posts
618 upvotes
I've had a Mako with the mineral glass and it scratched so easily. I would absolutely pass on this just for not having sapphire glass.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1415 posts
1111 upvotes
Montreal
I can't deny that the cheaper Orient crystal scratch easily. My Ray II crystal got a scratch the second day I wore it. I was sad and a bit disappointed, but hey, I got over it, and it doesn't bother me. The watch is just gorgeous, extremely accurate (for a mechanical watch) and I wear it more than any other watch in my collection.

Keep in mind a lot of damn expensive tool watches even have acrylic crystals (yes Rolex) because they won't shatter. They are also easy to polish.

Also I find retro style (or homage) watch just looks weird with a sapphire crystal IMO.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)