Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Victorinox 5-Inch Mini-Chef's Knife with Fibrox Handle - $28.84

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2021 1:14 pm
38 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
2401 posts
1393 upvotes
Good price but between a 7"/8" chef knife and a cheapo paring knife, I'm not sure when I would ever reach for this.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2004
1087 posts
930 upvotes
I love shorter knives. I find myself reaching for my cheap winners 5” over my 8” chef knife 9 times out of 10 because I find it easier to handle for most jobs.
Sr. Member
Oct 2, 2009
572 posts
374 upvotes
At 5 inches/127mm its a short petty/long pairing

In my experience this length is a little awkward as a pairing and too short for non pairing uses.

150mm/180mm or 5.9/7 inches is the sweet spot for a smaller chef knife and nothing really beats a pairing knife at paring jobs (DUH)
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1638 posts
1873 upvotes
Airdrie
Yeah I kind of like this size, but it won't match my yellow handle twin masters Crying Face
Jr. Member
Nov 26, 2015
146 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto, ON
There is a 6” version as well.
Newbie
Sep 1, 2017
99 posts
140 upvotes
This knife definately isn't the right size for my use.. But I'm a huge fan of victorinox knives. IMO they are the best value knife out there.
Member
Apr 5, 2018
390 posts
382 upvotes
Great knives - but I prefer the serrated edge as they latch onto the skin of the vegetable. I always slice my finger on the smooth ones.
Member
User avatar
Oct 15, 2008
484 posts
731 upvotes
Atikokan
My pre-teen kids use one of these exclusively as their go-tos in the block. They're sharp enough to get the job done for prep work and small jobs, but small enough not to intimidate them and provide good control, and the smaller handle suits them better.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 22, 2014
3081 posts
2599 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Mr Snuff wrote: I love shorter knives. I find myself reaching for my cheap winners 5” over my 8” chef knife 9 times out of 10 because I find it easier to handle for most jobs.
That's just a function of what you get used to. I find an 8" blade awkwardly short after using a 10" for a while. With practice and use you can become comfortable doing most tasks with the larger blade, and enjoy the benefits of the larger knife for some tasks without having to switch knives. If you keep using a small blade it will continue to be your comfort zone.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 22, 2014
3081 posts
2599 upvotes
GTA Ontario
signops wrote: Great knives - but I prefer the serrated edge as they latch onto the skin of the vegetable. I always slice my finger on the smooth ones.
I don't understand how you'd slice your finger in the first place, but if you do, then why not with a serrated blade as well? You're saying a serrated edge cuts veg easier but a smooth edge cuts your finger easier. I don't get it. But if I had to guess I'd say maybe you could avoid cutting yourself by keeping your knives sharp (use a sharpening steel before each use, and get them sharpened when they need it) so you cut with less effort and more control, and by holding it in one of the standard ways (such as the pinch grip) and using your other hand in the standard "knuckles-against-blade" method.
Sr. Member
Aug 25, 2019
894 posts
909 upvotes
Kind of on the fence too...BUT awfully lot of 5 Star Ratings...Very Few items have LOTS of votes SND Five Stars too. Astonished Face
"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment." — Henry David Thoreau
Sr. Member
Aug 25, 2019
894 posts
909 upvotes
mewko1502 wrote: At 5 inches/127mm its a short petty/long pairing

In my experience this length is a little awkward as a pairing and too short for non pairing uses.

150mm/180mm or 5.9/7 inches is the sweet spot for a smaller chef knife and nothing really beats a pairing knife at paring jobs (DUH)
If you're going to misspell for GAWD'S sake don't repeat it SEVENTEEN TIMES Flushed FaceFace With Rolling EyesDizzy Face
"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment." — Henry David Thoreau
Jr. Member
Nov 24, 2014
146 posts
138 upvotes
SCOPster wrote: If you're going to misspell for GAWD'S sake don't repeat it SEVENTEEN TIMES Flushed FaceFace With Rolling EyesDizzy Face
Woah now, they got it right the very last attempt!
Jr. Member
Apr 23, 2020
173 posts
1675 upvotes
frankykw wrote: The knife didn't specify which stainless steel it used, probably a very cheap one. In this case, consider a Chinese brand but with steel specified might be a better choice, its just my 2 cents, I got good experience with it tho.

TUO Utility Knife - Full Tang German X50CrMov15 (Din. 1.4116) stainless steel
Seriously? This is made by Victorinox in Switzerland, as in the maker of the Swiss army knife. I couldn't find the details on this specific knife, but I'm sure it's the same steel as their 8" chef's knife, which is also X50CrMoV15 high-carbon steel.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/home/a65137/ ... efs-knife/
Sr. Member
Oct 2, 2009
572 posts
374 upvotes
SCOPster wrote: If you're going to misspell for GAWD'S sake don't repeat it SEVENTEEN TIMES Flushed FaceFace With Rolling EyesDizzy Face
lol my bad. I actually dont use or even own a PARING knife

Pettys FTW
Sr. Member
Oct 2, 2009
572 posts
374 upvotes
frankykw wrote: The knife didn't specify which stainless steel it used, probably a very cheap one. In this case, consider a Chinese brand but with steel specified might be a better choice, its just my 2 cents, I got good experience with it tho.

TUO Utility Knife - Full Tang German X50CrMov15 (Din. 1.4116) stainless steel
Victorinox is a tried and tested brand used by the industry.

Americas test kitchen did an extensive test/knife torture and the victorinox came out as their budget pick or something like that. The winner was a zwilling kramer or bob kramer handmade one (cant remember) thats either $6xx or has no price and is auctioned by mr kramer himself.

On the other hand we got TUO which is really an unknown brand that seems to be heavily marketed.

Also do you really believe in what a chinese brand tells you?
Sr. Member
Aug 25, 2019
894 posts
909 upvotes
I came to this thread wanting to get one knife...probably will end up with 2 now as I love the handle on the other one that was suggested..Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment." — Henry David Thoreau

Top