Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Victorinox KC55236 Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife $43.74 (37% off) DEAL IS DEAD NOW

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2021 1:59 pm
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
mewko1502 wrote: As a professional I can vouch for victorinoxs.

The combination of decent steel, thin blade/light weight and cost makes it the first "real knife" for many professionals with many still using them daily be it as a work horse or beater.

Walk into any professional kitchen in north america and the chances you will find at least 1 are very likely.
Actually restaurants don't usually use the Victorinox knife, they use a clone of sorts. Places like Nella have a knife which had the same type stamped steel blade but it's not Victorinox "branded" which cost more.

Ppl can buy these different "un"branded knives for less than this.

https://www.nellacutlery.ca/chefs-knife ... la-om11982
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Oct 2, 2009
572 posts
375 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Actually restaurants don't usually use the Victorinox knife, they use a clone of sorts. Places like Nella have a knife which had the same type stamped steel blade but it's not Victorinox "branded" which cost more.

Ahh yes there are many places that dont care about knives and just rent/buy them from nella. Nella/other companies comes with sharpened knives and take all the dull ones to be resharpened.

Im not really including those places in my statement. I'm referring to places where the standards are high enough that employed cooks are expected to bring and use their own knives or the owner/chef keeps a couple of victorinoxs as beaters/loaners.

Edit: I wouldnt call them clones. Stamped knives with plastic handles wasn't invented by victorinox neither were they the first to do it. I do agree those are inferior probably due to steel used.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
3101 posts
3349 upvotes
katwittfan wrote: Hey quick question please...I have the 8" version and its the badass knife in the kitchen for sure. Where do you find out info on the blade angle? I assumed my 8" version was a 20 degree being a "European" brand. I do have a chefs choice for sharpening. thx
I had just googled, and many years ago America's Test Kitchen wrote that this blade and all other european blades switched to 15 degrees. The reason is simply because european blades use better steel now. With the wrong steel, the thinner angle would bend or break and dull faster.
Feb 5, 2021
15 posts
41 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Actually restaurants don't usually use the Victorinox knife, they use a clone of sorts. Places like Nella have a knife which had the same type stamped steel blade but it's not Victorinox "branded" which cost more.

Hmm didn't know this existed. So you're saying this is the exact same as the Victorinox, just not branded? Is the blade made in the same facility? Does the handle feel the same?
Oct 2, 2009
572 posts
375 upvotes
sasalukac wrote: Hmm didn't know this existed. So you're saying this is the exact same as the Victorinox, just not branded? Is the blade made in the same facility? Does the handle feel the same?
No to all your questions.

I can't 100% say its not the same steel but to my knowledge victorinox makes their own steel

Having used both its evident the nella knife is made for industry use. Cost is more important here vs quality. It's meant to be abused then sharpened with electric grinders where speed and cost of labour is more important then quality of the sharpening.

The victorinox is simply a well made knife thats cheap. The industry being comprised of underpaid cooks who needed a good knife that preforms picked up on how good the victorinox is bang for buck fairly quickly
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
3101 posts
3349 upvotes
sasalukac wrote: Is the blade made in the same facility? Does the handle feel the same?
highly likely that it is a chinese clone, not an exclusive run of victorinox for nellacutlery.ca
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1318 posts
1194 upvotes
shopperisbest wrote: Great knife.
But I am a careless person.
Better for me to stay away from the sharp knifes.Face With Tears Of Joy
It's actually more dangerous working with a a dull knife.
Nov 6, 2013
618 posts
588 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Deal's dead, right? I get $55.20 when I click.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7849 posts
8797 upvotes
shopperisbest wrote: Great knife.
But I am a careless person.
Better for me to stay away from the sharp knifes.Face With Tears Of Joy
Dull knives are super dangerous. They encourage the user to apply more pressure, so that if you do cut yourself, the damage is way worse - deeper cuts and jagged edges. They also slip on smooth/rounded foods making even simple cutting tasks a dangerous balancing act.

If you have kids at home, please, never let them use a dull knife in the kitchen
Feb 6, 2017
295 posts
625 upvotes
No Prime in Canada for the forseeable future. Bezos has a space trip to pay for.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
mewko1502 wrote:
No to all your questions.

I can't 100% say its not the same steel but to my knowledge victorinox makes their own steel

Having used both its evident the nella knife is made for industry use. Cost is more important here vs quality. It's meant to be abused then sharpened with electric grinders where speed and cost of labour is more important then quality of the sharpening.

The victorinox is simply a well made knife thats cheap. The industry being comprised of underpaid cooks who needed a good knife that preforms picked up on how good the victorinox is bang for buck fairly quickly
Loomy wrote: highly likely that it is a chinese clone, not an exclusive run of victorinox for nellacutlery.ca
The handles are both that kitchen plastic material called polypropylene. Both use a stamped stainless steel blade (German one below). I'm not sure the hardness exactly. For home use the Nella type clone will perform quite well and will hold the sharpness for a fair length of time. If you consider the way restaurants use those knives it can't be bad or they wouldn't be bought or rented for use.

I have a carver "clone" because the price is right for a specialty knife for me. You can buy these clone for the more specialty jobs (carver, filet, butcher, shorter utility etc) and have a collection for a lot less money. For the everyday chef knife buy Victorinox or better.
Last edited by gr8dlr on Jul 26th, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
sasalukac wrote: Hmm didn't know this existed. So you're saying this is the exact same as the Victorinox, just not branded? Is the blade made in the same facility? Does the handle feel the same?
Go to Nella (Vaughan store) and you can check out the knives there. I believe Costco business centre sells Russell international branded - 2 pk 10" cooks knife is $23.

https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/rus ... 93883.html

25.4 cm (10 in) cook’s chef knife
Professional quality
Stainless steel
Pack of 2
Razor sharp
Hand-honed edge
Stain-free high-carbon German steel blade
Textured polypropylene handle
Dishwasher safe
Last edited by gr8dlr on Jul 26th, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 29, 2008
588 posts
892 upvotes
Mississauga
gr8dlr wrote: The handles are both that kitchen plastic material called polypropylene. Both use a stamped stainless steel blade (German one below). I'm not sure the hardness exactly. For home use the Nella type clone will perform quite well and will hold the sharpness for a fair length of time. If you consider the way restaurants use those knives it can't be bad or they wouldn't be bought or rented for use.

I have a carver "clone" because the price is right for a specialty knife for me. You can buy these clone for the more specialty jobs (carver, filet, butcher, shorter utility etc) and have a collection for a lot less money. For the everyday chef knife buy Victorinox or better.
Polypropylene is a generic plastic found everywhere; it's not unique to victorinox. Same goes for "german stainless steel"
Dec 20, 2018
630 posts
563 upvotes
YQR
KanataKG wrote: Dull knives are super dangerous. They encourage the user to apply more pressure, so that if you do cut yourself, the damage is way worse - deeper cuts and jagged edges. They also slip on smooth/rounded foods making even simple cutting tasks a dangerous balancing act.

If you have kids at home, please, never let them use a dull knife in the kitchen
You are right.
But I had bad experience with sharp knifes.
I was cutting cucumber too fast without paying much attention. The way I held cucumber was wrong.
I guess I need more skills.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Loomy wrote: I had just googled, and many years ago America's Test Kitchen wrote that this blade and all other european blades switched to 15 degrees. The reason is simply because european blades use better steel now. With the wrong steel, the thinner angle would bend or break and dull faster.
Realistically, for most people, they are better served having a 20 degree bevel over a 15 even with better metal. Most people don't treat their knives well and to a certain extent abuse them and a 20 degree bevel takes more abuse before needing to be resharpened/reformed than a 15 degree one as there is just more metal to support the bevel.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2008
1142 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto
Feel like RFD in bed with Amazon a bit too much. I love the Amazon deals, but feel like RFD a little heavy with the Amazon promotion on the front page, especially when they're not super hot deals. This is the regular price for this knife from most online knife stores, like this one:

https://www.paulsfinest.com/collections ... nife-47520

Great online store, good customer service, and ships fast.

Unless Amazon is way cheaper, try to buy local from a mom and pop shop to support those small businesses!
Oct 2, 2009
572 posts
375 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: The handles are both that kitchen plastic material called polypropylene. Both use a stamped stainless steel blade (German one below). I'm not sure the hardness exactly. For home use the Nella type clone will perform quite well and will hold the sharpness for a fair length of time. If you consider the way restaurants use those knives it can't be bad or they wouldn't be bought or rented for use.

Just because both use the same handle material and both used stamped blades doesnt mean a lot.....If you held both in your hands you will see there are significant differences in blade shape. The nella is way taller/wider and has a comical huge bevel. Its not a clone so please stop calling it a clone. A clone implies nella is trying to replicate the victorinox which is not the case at all. Nella saw a demand for cheap knives so they supplied it. They are 2 totally different products for 2 totally different market segments.

Restaurants use nella knives because its cheap/they do not care enough. Nothing more nothing less.

I did a stage at 1 place that rents knives from nella and their standards are so low the only reason they are still open is because its a tourist trap kinda place. I saw some fries go out and thought to my self "huh, curry fries eh? in an italian restaurant...werid but ok." I then walked by their fryer and it was filthy AF. I immediately understood the fryer oil was just so old that it gave the fries a weird neon yellow sheen as if it was curried fries.

Am I saying places that use nella knives are all bad? No. That being said that is usually the case.
Oct 2, 2009
572 posts
375 upvotes
TH3R wrote: Feel like RFD in bed with Amazon a bit too much. I love the Amazon deals, but feel like RFD a little heavy with the Amazon promotion on the front page, especially when they're not super hot deals. This is the regular price for this knife from most online knife stores, like this one:

https://www.paulsfinest.com/collections ... nife-47520

Great online store, good customer service, and ships fast.

Unless Amazon is way cheaper, try to buy local from a mom and pop shop to support those small businesses!
I agree with you except the fact that pauls finest doenst have free shipping unless you buy $99+

I highly recommend everyone to check out their local restaurant supply store (tap phong in DT toronto). Even for non industry folks the prices are usually still pretty good.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
OutOfSt0ck wrote: I use a dollar store knife. As long as it's kept sharp, I can throw a tomato in the air and slice right through it
Sorry, this is RFD, where if you spend less than $300 on a knife then your opinion is invalid. And it must be sharpened with a $500 sharpener
Public Mobile customer
Lucky Mobile customer