Shopping Discussion

Amazon.ca vs. Amazon.com - expensive products

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2018 3:26 pm
[OP]
Jan 2, 2017
1 posts

Amazon.ca vs. Amazon.com - expensive products

I've heard a number of times of products being much more expensive to buy on Amazon.ca compared with Amazon.com. Does anyone have examples of products where this is true (especially where the product on Amazon.com won't ship to Canada)? Thank you!
21 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18670 posts
3283 upvotes
GTA West
Here's an egregious example, both sold by Amazon (not 3rd party sellers): Panasonic WES9020PC Electric Razor Replacement Inner Blade and Outer Foil Set for Men

Amazon.com - US$49.86 (CDN$66.21)
Bare Link: https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-WES9020PC-Electric-Razor-Replacement/dp/B001J6O0HI/

Amazon.ca - CDN $78.05
Bare Link: https://www.amazon.ca/Panasonic-WES9020PC-Electric-Razor-Replacement/dp/B001J6O0HI/

So after accounting for currency exchange rate of 0.753063 USD on xe.com, the price on amazon.ca is about 19% higher.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4747 posts
3897 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 7:49 pm
Here's an egregious example, both sold by Amazon (not 3rd party sellers): Panasonic WES9020PC Electric Razor Replacement Inner Blade and Outer Foil Set for Men

Amazon.com - US$49.86 (CDN$66.21)
Bare Link: https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-WES902 ... 001J6O0HI/

Amazon.ca - CDN $78.05
Bare Link: https://www.amazon.ca/Panasonic-WES9020 ... 001J6O0HI/

So after accounting for currency exchange rate of 0.753063 USD on xe.com, the price on amazon.ca is about 19% higher.
Did you try checking out to see what shipping and duty would cost?

I tried to make an order recently... items were all much cheaper on .com so I put together an order for $100. After $46 shipping and $48 in duty fees, it turned into a ~$200USD order. I ended up cancelling as it's actually cheaper on .ca if you factor in the duty/ship
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4034 posts
779 upvotes
Aurora
I've also found things that are cheaper on .ca too.

Caveat emptor, just sayin...
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Nov 29, 2013
408 posts
26 upvotes
Montreal
Geez, too many to count. Almost everything I want to buy is way cheaper on the US site when accounting for currency conversion.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7901 posts
1580 upvotes
That isnt sold by amazon. 3rd party sellers can list at whatever they want, the same as in eba y
Aug 2, 2017
2 posts
That's completely false for people to think that Amazon.com is cheaper than Amazon.ca and I'll tell you why. Sure you look at the prices and you see that they are low but remember those are U.S prices and you still need to convert U.S dollars to Canadian dollars. Then you have shipping costs unless you buy straight from Amazon and it says free shipping but wait that's not all you still have custom fees to pay on top of it all. It all looks good when you pay at your shopping cart that is till you check your credit card bill and get a shocker that those Items you ordered depending on your price at check out could cost 100.00 or more give or take than what it would've cost through Amazon.ca. I have made that mistake a few too many times not realizing it at the time. I have done the comparisons between both sites while shopping for the same items and yes the U.S site costs way more between the money conversion and custom fee's, even with free shipping.
The only time I will ever buy from Amazon.com is if I can't buy it on Amazon.ca or Ebay.ca and it's not offered in Canada in store or online
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5177 posts
5724 upvotes
It really depends on how you look at. It maybe true, but it maybe not. It is not very fair to compare price across different countries, even in different provinces within the same countries. Although it is hard to judge the price, Amazon.com does carry more products than Amazon.ca.
Apr 13, 2010
494 posts
211 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
ShanonM711 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 1:54 am
That's completely false for people to think that Amazon.com is cheaper than Amazon.ca and I'll tell you why. Sure you look at the prices and you see that they are low but remember those are U.S prices and you still need to convert U.S dollars to Canadian dollars. Then you have shipping costs
You misunderstand the complaint. No one is saying that buying from Amazon.com and having it shipped to Canada is always cheaper than buying from Amazon.ca (although sometimes it is). The problem is that there is a stark difference in the listing price itself (shipping aside) - even after adjusting for the exchange rate (like in the example Jucius Maximus gave).

I've found this everywhere though, not just with Amazon. Car parts are the worst. I remember looking for a wheel bearing for my van and deciding on the Timken brand, which is made in Canada. I ended up buying it from the US because it was half the price of any source I could find in Canada.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10945 posts
821 upvotes
Brampton
Canada:
FLUIDMASTER 400A Anti-Siphon Toilet Fill Valve $21.00
amazon.ca

Home Depot Canada is $17.29
400A Universal Toilet Tank Fill Valve
home depot Canada