• Oct 17th, 2017 11:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2005
1719 posts
361 upvotes
Ajax

[Amazon.ca] VTech DECT 6.0 Four Handset Cordless Phones - $59.99 historical low

I have this item watched in camelx3, got notification this morning, looks like it's lowest in history at $59.99, at this price for a 4 handsets dect 6.0, I have no complaint.

VTech DECT 6.0 Four Handset Cordless Phones with Caller ID, Backlit Keypads and Screens, Full Duplex Handset Speakerphones, Call Block Silver/Black

Vtech DECT 6.0 four handsets cordless phone system with Caller ID/Call Waiting
30 name/number caller id (with 20 call block) and 50 phonebook memory
Call block to prevent unwanted callers
Full duplex handset speakerphones with backlit keypads and displays
Expandable up to 5 handsets with the cs6909 accessory (sold separately)

Images
  • vtech.jpg
39 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21488 posts
9991 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry, this is not a brand of cordless phone I would buy at any price. I bought a set once and the sound was terrible. Panasonic only. They might cost a little more but well worth it. BTW, factory direct is a good place to get refurbished Panasonic cordless phones. Apparently they come from Panasonic. The set that purchased worked like new. The battery durability was amazing. $99 for a link to cell 5 phone package.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4387 posts
3378 upvotes
Vancouver
Batteries: 4 Nonstandard Battery batteries required. (included)
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
will888 wrote: Sorry, this is not a brand of cordless phone I would buy at any price. I bought a set once and the sound was terrible. Panasonic only. They might cost a little more but well worth it. BTW, factory direct is a good place to get refurbished Panasonic cordless phones. Apparently they come from Panasonic. The set that purchased worked like new. The battery durability was amazing. $99 for a link to cell 5 phone package.

I agree with will888 and have to say something like this here https://www.costco.ca/Panasonic%C2%AE-K ... 02590.html is a lot better value unless you -really- need 4 phones. I have had both set before so I can do some comparison.

1. Panasonic uses standard AAA rechargeable battery. Very easy to find a replacement.
2. Much bigger screen and text. Easier for elderly to look at. Or even for anyone else.
3. Voice Caller ID works well. Especially if you customize your friends Caller ID so it pronounce the name, no need to stand up to look.
4. Individually configurable ring tone.
5. MUCH better voice quality compare to the VTech.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3008 posts
2877 upvotes
Montreal, QC
will888 wrote: Sorry, this is not a brand of cordless phone I would buy at any price. I bought a set once and the sound was terrible. Panasonic only. They might cost a little more but well worth it. BTW, factory direct is a good place to get refurbished Panasonic cordless phones. Apparently they come from Panasonic. The set that purchased worked like new. The battery durability was amazing. $99 for a link to cell 5 phone package.
I also agree with this.
Anything phones that use custom batteries are a pain in the @.ss
Had a set of Vtech phones, and I thought it was my Voip system which was just crappy and was cutting out. Turned out it was the dumb phones. I switched to a panasonic set, and my voip line is crystal clear. If anything, it is clearer than my old POTS line, since POTS line was an old install, and needed a new run from the post. Instead of fighting with Bell, I just decided to drop them a while back.

I picked up a set similar to this set, Yes it is more than the VTECH, but it is worth it. Not something you change too often, may as well get something with decent voice quality. If you don't need 4 handsets, and you can live with 2 handsets, then they have this one.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3332 upvotes
very easy to find replacement on ebay or amazon nowadays for these phones. i ordered 4 of those batteries for like 8.00 . batteries in these phones last a long time.
Jan 10, 2007
212 posts
109 upvotes
I had a set of Vtech cordless phones. The sound quality was nowhere near my Panasonic set.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17312 posts
19318 upvotes
Oakville
Also on sale at Canadian Tire for the same price right now (and regularly I believe).
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/vtech ... 8006p.html

I bought a Vtech 4 unit set 5+ years and they're still working on original batteries. Voice quality is alight, but could be better. They're connected through Obihai with Google Voice, but we don't use them too much.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6539 posts
1096 upvotes
also note Panasonic makes their own batteries and they are good at it.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3800 posts
3558 upvotes
Muskoka
I agree on the Panasonic. I have an old set that was loosing charge too quick for my liking. I opened the battery case to see what special battery I was going to have to get. Surprise! Simple AAA rechargeables. I already had some of those. Yeah
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1322 posts
619 upvotes
Somewhere in Ontario
Any 2-line phones? Curious to know if freephoneline works with them.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1747 posts
1143 upvotes
Quebec
I agree with every one else here. My wife bought a VTech set from Costco (looked pretty similar, if not identical to this one), and we returned them promptly. They have terrible battery life, and they would disconnect intermittently. We had to pay a premium for the Panasonic set, but at least they work and keep their charge.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7095 posts
11952 upvotes
Montreal
I have had both Vtech amd Panasonic.

Vtech = bad sound ||| Panasonic = good

There's a reason Vtech is always on sale cheaper than Panasonic.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1433 posts
1088 upvotes
Balzard wrote: I agree with every one else here. My wife bought a VTech set from Costco (looked pretty similar, if not identical to this one), and we returned them promptly. They have terrible battery life, and they would disconnect intermittently. We had to pay a premium for the Panasonic set, but at least they work and keep their charge.
I too was so disappointed with vtech. What a waste of money. Every time I see them the word,"landfill", comes to mind. They should be banned. Panasonic is better because they are so bad.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
3431 posts
1289 upvotes
Toronto
Friends don't let friends buy Vtech, Panasonic all the way.

Vtech good for kids toys
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4445 posts
3136 upvotes
I had a set of Vtech 6529 phones that crapped out within one month after the 12 month warranty period. Dialing from any of the four handsets had no effect (constant dial tone) and when answering an incoming call, the caller could not hear me regardless of which handset was being used. Vtech customer service offered 10% off a new set which was still almost 50% more than what I had paid from Canadian Tire.

As already mentioned, buy Panasonic.
Last edited by SizzleChest on Oct 14th, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 8, 2009
828 posts
291 upvotes
Only compition to Panasonic used to be Uniden, but not seen uniden phones anywhere.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2006
1454 posts
216 upvotes
GTA
Have a set of 4 v tech phones with the custom batteries. About four years in, you would need to replace the custom batteries, which cost about $8 each on eBay. Just replaced one recently.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
1020 posts
1141 upvotes
Panasonic does not manufacture phones by themselves. They buy OEM products and VTech is one of their source. So if you can find some phones from VTech or uniden that have same set of features as the Panasonic counterparts, they may be just the same phones of different brands.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3008 posts
2877 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Not likely. Just because they don't manufacture themselves, doesn't mean it is not their design. Manufacturing is outsourced by quite a few companies nowadays and they often protect/patent their designs. You provide the design, and they will build you whatever you want.
If you are willing to pay, they can build you whatever quality you desire, regardless of where it is manufactured (China, Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwan, India, etc..) . Doesn't mean Uniden or Vtech won't occasionally "borrow" some design aspects, but they are not the same phones, and quite often, not the same components.

All those uniden/vtech custom batteries are just AAA or AA, tack welded together, in heatshrink, and a custom connector. I don't see why they continue to do that in 2017 :( Really dumb. Just put standard batteries holders and get over it. most people don't even buy original Uniden/Vtech replacements anyhow.